R1S going the way of "The Maxpak"

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Jan 20 22 and very few if any reports of pre production R1S roaming the street and only 2 reported "beta" SUV to employees. Going by R1T timing if there were going to be retail customer deliveries of R1S's in the 1st half of 2022 there should be more activity. I realize a lot of similarities to the R1T but the same arguments about streamlining production can be made about the R1S as the delayed R1T maxpak. Any one else getting a sense of deja vu?
Sponsored

OP
OP

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I don't waste my time worrying about things beyond my control.
Your correct we can't control Rivian delivery timing but I don't consider planning the timing of an 80K vehicle purchase "worrying". I think it is also relevant to the stock price.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
With so many shared components and certainly software, I’d expect the r1s launch to be somewhat more smooth. I doubt very much it will be smooth, just willing to believe it can be better/faster than the r1t roll out/ramp up.

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
The small amount of information I've heard...they had quite a few test/beta R1S built prior to Nov 15 with some being out in AZ at the proving grounds. The person I talked to said they preferred the handling off-road of the R1S due to the shorter wheelbase.

I was able to ride in a R1T and get a great overview by an employee (chance encounter). I had just placed my R1S order a few months earlier so it helped build my confidence in the product. We have a set amount of time we will keep the order and hope they deliver. If not, we will move on to a ICE.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm not aware of anyone with a R1S delivery window prior to March-April. If there hasn't been any R1S activity within the next 3 months then I might get concerned, but the max pack delay really has nothing to do with the R1S.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Your correct we can't control Rivian delivery timing but I don't consider planning the timing of an 80K vehicle purchase "worrying". I think it is also relevant to the stock price.
I, personally, don't have any timing constraints on the purchase of my R1S. But for those who do (aging vehicle, end of current lease, etc), you have to play the cards you are dealt. If you are forced to buy a new vehicle before your Rivian, that would suck and may even force you to cancel your order. Still nothing you can "plan". If the Rivian is ready for delivery before you are, well, you can always defer delivery. Ultimately, these kinds of scenarios all boil down to the timing being out of your control. And you know my philosophy about that.

As for stock price, it should be obvious that Rivian stock prices are going to be extremely volatile for the near term. Likely even the next few years. I don't worry about that. I'm invested for the long haul and the stock price in 10 years really won't be impacted based on R1S deliveries starting in 2022 or 2023.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Not concerned yet. 75%+ of the build is probably identical to the R1T so a ton of manufacturing challenges are already worked out. R1S might be a slightly quicker, less complicated build - no gear tunnel or tonneau moving pieces to install, align and test.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Sounds like someone has been spending too much time with their Jump to Conclusions mat.

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
We already have figured they'll be alternating batches of R1Ts with the R1S. Considering they haven't produced a significant number of sellable R1Ts it's not surprising we aren't seeing R1S. Until they R1Ts to real customers they won't bother with the R1S.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
As with others, I doubt it will be going the way of the max pack. I wouldn't be surprised if their R1S deliveries start of slower than they are thinking and pushes some of the explore and adventure trims back a bit. That's only a hunch though.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
As with others, I doubt it will be going the way of the max pack. I wouldn't be surprised if their R1S deliveries start of slower than they are thinking and pushes some of the explore and adventure trims back a bit. That's only a hunch though.
I have a March->April LE R1S delivery window and a big road trip planned (Seattle to Maine and back again) for the end of June through July. I'm going to cry many tears in my beers if I don't have my R1S to take!

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I have a March->April LE R1S delivery window and a big road trip planned (Seattle to Maine and back again) for the end of June through July. I'm going to cry many tears in my beers if I don't have my R1S to take!
Would you still take delivery if it is delayed to September?

Trying to see if cancelled reservations could offset some of the delays

Last edited:

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Would you still take delivery if it is delayed to September?

Trying to see if cancelled reservations could offset some of the delays
No chance I'm canceling. That doesn't mean I won't complain about it loudly though;)
Sponsored