• Total voters

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I have both a six seater and a seven seater Model X. By far, I prefer the six seater for usability, access to the third row and access for my 105lb Goldendoodle.

I used to have a six seat Navigator and loved that as well.

I am curious to see if, that given the option, people would prefer six seats over 5 or 7.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It might not be easy, but there will be a way to remove the center seat in the 2nd row. It is a separate piece, so the question becomes how difficult it will be & whether the area underneath will provide a clean look.

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
I’m probably missing it - but why would anyone WANT the 5-seater, unless:
1 - getting rid of the 3rd row adds a lot of space OR
2 - if we assume the 5-seater would be available with a longer-range battery OR
3 - the 3rd row was a significant up charge (vs. included on the LE)?

Is there another reason folks are upset they can’t get an LE in a 5 seater?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I’m probably missing it - but why would anyone WANT the 5-seater, unless:
1 - getting rid of the 3rd row adds a lot of space OR
2 - if we assume the 5-seater would be available with a longer-range battery OR
3 - the 3rd row was a significant up charge (vs. included on the LE)?

Is there another reason folks are upset they can’t get an LE in a 5 seater?
Yes, 5 seat is greatly preferred as I have no use for a 3rd row of seating. My usage is for hauling our German Shepherds. Either the 3rd row needs to fold completely flat or come out in order for me to get a dog crate back there. I'd rather not have to deal with storing the 3rd row if removal was the only option. An alternative to a crate might be a "dog gate" should Rivian offer such an accessory (Volvo does...). However, a lot of vehicles end up with gaps/holes/rails in the floor when folding/removing the 3rd row and that is a canine safety hazard (trapped feet, broken legs). I am hoping a factory 2-row seating configuraton would be fully trimmed out and avoid such hazards. Otherwise I have to do something to cover/fill the gaps... which brings me full circle back to the crate.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I voted for 5, because dogs.

But, with the caveat I would get a larger battery and longer range.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Voted 5. Dogs are the main reason for me as well. I dont need the 7 seats.
Also wishing he 5 seat would either come with a bigger battery or space for a full size spare tire.

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, 5 seat is greatly preferred as I have no use for a 3rd row of seating. My usage is for hauling our German Shepherds. Either the 3rd row needs to fold completely flat or come out in order for me to get a dog crate back there. I'd rather not have to deal with storing the 3rd row if removal was the only option. An alternative to a crate might be a "dog gate" should Rivian offer such an accessory (Volvo does...). However, a lot of vehicles end up with gaps/holes/rails in the floor when folding/removing the 3rd row and that is a canine safety hazard (trapped feet, broken legs). I am hoping a factory 2-row seating configuraton would be fully trimmed out and avoid such hazards. Otherwise I have to do something to cover/fill the gaps... which brings me full circle back to the crate.
Thanks! I wasn’t trying to be smart-a$$, I don’t have a dog, so hadn’t thought of the hazard of them getting caught in hardware, etc.

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
Notwithstanding the replies above. I think your points are valid. The fact is though...of the relatively few options in the configurator...seat number being one of them I still haven't seen a picture of how the cargo space will be different between the two...just an uneven floor when the 7 seater is folded down? Extra weight of the seats? Other?

As an aside, the 5 seat version of the non LE Adventure package is the same price as the 7 seat version...seems odd to me. FWIW I'm more interested in the 5 seat version....and wish it would have been available in the launch addition....

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Notwithstanding the replies above. I think your points are valid. The fact is though...of the relatively few options in the configurator...seat number being one of them I still haven't seen a picture of how the cargo space will be different between the two...just an uneven floor when the 7 seater is folded down? Extra weight of the seats? Other?

As an aside, the 5 seat version of the non LE Adventure package is the same price as the 7 seat version...seems odd to me. FWIW I'm more interested in the 5 seat version....and wish it would have been available in the launch addition....
I posted this in another thread but will repeat here: I think the entire rear interior of the R1S top hat is in flux. I think they're still optimizing across max battery capacity, 3rd row usability (ingress/egress/folded away), spare tire storage, etc... so even they don't know exactly what the final differences will be.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
After an extensive internal debate, I stuck with the 5 seat option!!! I was bullied mercifully on here to choose the LE. I almost gave in to peer pressure. I have a lot of injuries from college due to giving in easily. I think I'm starting to learn. Yet, I'll probably change my mind again tomorrow. That may be partly due to my Rivian account being my default home page. I should probably change that.

Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
After an extensive internal debate, I stuck with the 5 seat option!!! I was bullied mercifully on here to choose the LE. I almost gave in to peer pressure. I have a lot of injuries from college due to giving in easily. I think I'm starting to learn. Yet, I'll probably change my mind again tomorrow. That may be partly due to my Rivian account being my default home page. I should probably change that.
Oooops. *Unmercifully!

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

no reason to NOT configure LE for now. It gets you one of you want it and have it saved before Monday. If you don’t want it, you can always change configurations later.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
no reason to NOT configure LE for now. It gets you one of you want it and have it saved before Monday. If you don’t want it, you can always change configurations later.
True. Thanks, but I was just joking around. I’m pretty settled on the 5 seater. I personally will never have the need for the 7 seater. I’m not concerned about resale and it will just be a cleaner look for me. Additionally, it grants me more time for stuffing pennies in the piggy bank, and Rivian to come out with changes/adjustments/options, etc. Jan 2022 is fine with me. I’ll leave the LE slot open for someone who really wants it.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
True. Thanks, but I was just joking around. I’m pretty settled on the 5 seater. I personally will never have the need for the 7 seater. I’m not concerned about resale and it will just be a cleaner look for me. Additionally, it grants me more time for stuffing pennies in the piggy bank, and Rivian to come out with changes/adjustments/options, etc. Jan 2022 is fine with me. I’ll leave the LE slot open for someone who really wants it.
You sure?

Exciting news on the audio system:

On the Rivian Elevation 360° audio system for the R1S: We'll be sharing the brand closer to delivery. It's 1400 watts with 22 speakers. To compare, our standard surround sound will have 14 speakers, and 280 watts. The Elevation Audio will offer more channels, more power per channel, and higher quality components. This includes four roof speakers, a coaxial center channel, and a subwoofer in the cargo area. More details to come on the tweeters location, center speaker, and amplifiers as we approach production.