R1S fender rattle from subwoofer

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
My R1S has been spectacular and I have been pleased with the Rivian-branded sound system. I have noticed that when I turn it up there is a pretty significant rattle from the bass. If I press lightly on the outside of the passenger rear fender where the subwoofer sits, it goes away completely.

Does anyone have a solution to eliminate that loose sound coming from the rear fender? Iā€™m not even sure where to begin.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

OP
OP
VHRivian

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I know, right? Iā€™ve got that ā€˜12ā€ Rockford Fosgates in a ford probe gtā€™ feel when it turn it up

OP
OP
VHRivian

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Is there any car stereo guy/gal that can weigh in on this? I would like to calm that fender rattle a little to clean up the sound. It starts at about volume level 15.

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
I can hear a rattle on the outside, and a slightly louder rattle inside. If I press on the panel inside close to the subwoofer, the rattling stops. I put in a service ticket for this Friday. I'll have to see if they can get to it, and will report back if they do.

Sponsored

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer
you cold always open a ticket with rivian support. I did the same as my doors (all of them) would rattle around the b-pillar. They couldn't replicate so I told them what song to play and then they understood. Stated that the "resonant frequency" of the rivian was similar to my song choice. Anyhow, the definitely helped mitigate it by making sure clips were tight and put some isolating tape around other parts. Made a big difference.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Is there any car stereo guy/gal that can weigh in on this? I would like to calm that fender rattle a little to clean up the sound. It starts at about volume level 15.
If anything like other vehicles. Remove the panel. Get some fabric tape to go around the push pins or anything that looks like plastic on plastic crime. Should fix problem for less than $10 and a little time.

Our Bronco was horrible and got rid of 99% of plastic rattles. While ope might add some dynomat type product as well.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

They couldn't replicate so I told them what song to play and then they understood. Stated that the "resonant frequency" of the rivian was similar to my song choice.
You know I now have to askā€¦ what song was it?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer
Loved U2 in Highschool but haven't listened to them in awhile. My music interests currently are geared towards alternative with a bit more low frequency. The tech did say he was going to use the song as an example going forward though. I have the Meridian and love it.

Sponsored

BronxBomber

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S LE, 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Talent Executive
Mine is in service as we speak for the same thing. Tech mentioned adding some insulation to it, so weā€™ll see if that solves it. I thought to solve the problem myself, but opted against it since Rivian hopefully is better equipped to solve.

I will say, the Meridian system in the R1T loaner BUMPS!!! I donā€™t know whether itā€™s the truck vs SUV difference or the Rivian system is weaker, but I can certainly tell a difference.

Still love the truck and honestly canā€™t wait until someone makes a subwoofer/speaker swap kit

OP
OP
VHRivian

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
@BronxBomber - I would appreciate you putting the results of the service appointment in this thread. I am 3 hours away from a service center so this will be DIY if possible.

For those who mentioned plastic on plastic and loose clips - the sound seems to be coming from the fender itself as even minor pressure on the metal from the outside stops the rattle. Seems like Dynamat on the inner fender would be the only fix, but I am not excited about tearing things apart.

BronxBomber

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S LE, 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Talent Executive
@BronxBomber - I would appreciate you putting the results of the service appointment in this thread. I am 3 hours away from a service center so this will be DIY if possible.

For those who mentioned plastic on plastic and loose clips - the sound seems to be coming from the fender itself as even minor pressure on the metal from the outside stops the rattle. Seems like Dynamat on the inner fender would be the only fix, but I am not excited about tearing things apart.
Of course - Iā€™ll ask if theyā€™ll share what they did to fix. Canā€™t see why they wouldnā€™t tell.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
very common problems that Rivian can't seem to fix. I brought mine in for the same damn problems with high bass music. They put some damper in that area where the subwoofer is. Found no loose clips. It only fix a little bit of it. Problem still persist. Will revisit it again when they know wth are they doing before I bring it in to service center.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Mine is in service as we speak for the same thing. Tech mentioned adding some insulation to it, so weā€™ll see if that solves it. I thought to solve the problem myself, but opted against it since Rivian hopefully is better equipped to solve.

I will say, the Meridian system in the R1T loaner BUMPS!!! I donā€™t know whether itā€™s the truck vs SUV difference or the Rivian system is weaker, but I can certainly tell a difference.

Still love the truck and honestly canā€™t wait until someone makes a subwoofer/speaker swap kit
It will not solve it. They did the samething with mine and only improved a little bit.
Sponsored