Sponsored

R1S Dog Owners

teacherdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For those with 2-3 kids sitting in the R1S, where is the best location for your dog in the car? What have you used to protect the seats, etc.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

No kids, but we lay down one of the rear seats and strap in a crate. Now we can transport 6 and the dog safely.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
We lay down the third row seats, put a seat belt extender in the third row seatbelt receiver before folding the seats for the rear HVAC vents to work. Keeps 2 pups 65 and 75 lbs comfortable and still have full access to the second row.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If the kids are small enough to sit comfortably in the third row, you can put the second row down and the dog can lay on the 2nd row area with a pet harness. We did this when our kids were pre-teens in our Suburban, they loved it - they thought it was like being in a stretch limo.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

We lay down the third row seats, put a seat belt extender in the third row seatbelt receiver before folding the seats for the rear HVAC vents to work. Keeps 2 pups 65 and 75 lbs comfortable and still have full access to the second row.
Rather than an extender, you could use one of these.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dog Owners 3AEACA17-743B-4548-BB5E-FCEC74F398E7

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Rather than an extender, you could use one of these.

3AEACA17-743B-4548-BB5E-FCEC74F398E7.jpeg
Similar to what I am using, I just make sure to unplug it so it does not think someone is still in the vehicle afterwards. I did find you only need to plug into one of the receivers for both sides to work.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dog Owners 4C71CB5E-FF2D-4103-BB2D-462F0B8915BF

Wiffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4Runner SR5 4WD
I just got a new pup this week and we've been struggling w/ a dog hammock in the second row. Currently leaning towards getting a crate for the cargo area, but want something that'll be good for a curious/nervous pup (~20lbs) and will hopefully be ok once he's full grown (~140lbs). Would love to hear some recommendations, want to keep the little guy safe and comfortable.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This has been covered elsewhere but, for those reading this particular thread in the future, we no longer have to use hacks to provide the pups with ventilation to the cargo area. Software update 2023.10.1 includes the ability to control the fan speed of the 3rd row / cargo area vents.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I just got a new pup this week and we've been struggling w/ a dog hammock in the second row. Currently leaning towards getting a crate for the cargo area, but want something that'll be good for a curious/nervous pup (~20lbs) and will hopefully be ok once he's full grown (~140lbs). Would love to hear some recommendations, want to keep the little guy safe and comfortable.
Congrats but it didn’t happen if you don’t have pictures! 😉

I highly recommend that you get a crate for safe travels of you, your passengers, and your pup. Heaven forbid you are in an accident, but an unsecured pup becomes a cannon ball!

I also recommend that you utilize crate training for non-travel as well. If the dog understands that the crate is their safe space, they will take to it much more comfortably. You mentioned a nervous pup, this may be perfect.

Since you are looking for a one and done purchase of a crate, get the largest the the full grown dog will need (140lbs is an extra large dog). You can place boxes or towels to take up extra space as the puppy is small. As it grows, you just reduce the filler and the crate seemingly grows in size with the dog.

We are using a Ruff Land Kennel (https://rufflandkennels.com/) for our pup. It is solid and has attachment hardware to allow it to be strapped down in the back of the R1S.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Have fun with the new fur baby.

Sponsored

Wiffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4Runner SR5 4WD
Definitely crate training for his benefit and my sanity. Thanks for the recommendation, was actually looking at those last night, adding boxes/towels while he's growing is a great idea.

Here's a pic of him on our way home last friday, I ended up just holding him for the short ride home, but realize that's not a great idea going forward.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dog Owners IMG_4003.JPG

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
TBH, I have not allow our 125 pound shed-machine into the R1S. She rides in my F-150h although I'm trying to convince my wife the dog should ride in her 911.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

TBH, I have not allow our 125 pound shed-machine into the R1S. She rides in my F-150h although I'm trying to convince my wife the dog should ride in her 911.
We still find hair from our labs even after 5+years! Tell your wife that my wife takes the dog in our Corvette, so the 911 should be fine. 😂. Granted ours is only 35 lbs.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dog Owners 1680282281714

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
https://www.impactdogcrates.com/

Yes they are expensive but they are worth it. Get one and it will house your 140lb dog and he won’t be getting out of it. I have a GSD and he cannot break out. My friend has a Malinois and he also cannot get out of his impact.

They are designed for strong and smart dogs to keep them safe and secure. Plus they fold up quickly and are aluminum so they are nice and light. One person can carry it easily for the size of my GSD.

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant