Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Since hummer is making just 12 a day, I'm not so sure about stealing people away. I'd only drive a hummer if you bought it for me, and then only until it was a trade in on the R1S.

But, either way, both of them need to ramp production quickly.
Yes. Hummer's not really a compelling alternative at the moment, but the collective marketplace is getting more crowded. Land Rover already doing market research, Mercedes, Cadillac, VW, et al soon either taking orders or will be by EOY....Rivian's head start is evaporating.

...and the startup QC issues and mass production questions remain.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Its not a processor/chip problem anymore. They are reporting decline in demand. Issue may be somewhere else..........
I've read multiple articles saying the chip shortage is still a problem. There are some reports of a decline in demand, but it still takes time to fill the backlog and manufacture the PCBs.

Consumer Reports

NY Times

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Yes. Hummer's not really a compelling alternative at the moment, but the collective marketplace is getting more crowded. Land Rover already doing market research, Mercedes, Cadillac, VW, et al soon either taking orders or will be by EOY....Rivian's head start is evaporating.

...and the startup QC issues and mass production questions remain.

100% I like Rivian, I like what they are offering. But 3+ years waiting on R1S, it will be 4 by the time I get a delivery date, I'm already wandering. Right now it's wandering to R1T. 9 mos from now, it might be wandering off to some other pretty ESUV that comes available NOW.

Oh and I am still annoyed about the MAX pack. So no max pack, no delivery dates, 2 strikes guys.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I am early 2019 reservation holder, R1s adventure. Was oct/dec 2022 and not 1H2023. My lease end in may 2023, so basically, if there is no R1S by then, and it seems no other 3rd row EV is on the market other than Tesla, I might just have to commit elsehwere unfortunately, unless another EV shows up and delivers.

Or I execute my evil plan, and convince my wife to get a Taycan and forget about the 7 seat thing.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
100% I like Rivian, I like what they are offering. But 3+ years waiting on R1S, it will be 4 by the time I get a delivery date, I'm already wandering. Right now it's wandering to R1T. 9 mos from now, it might be wandering off to some other pretty ESUV that comes available NOW.

Oh and I am still annoyed about the MAX pack. So no max pack, no delivery dates, 2 strikes guys.
If i am not getting an R1S or any other 3rd SUV, i would hold out for a GX Hybrid hopefully for a bit, but I am still trying to get a Taycan, but I have to really work hard to justify to my wife the extra money for less seats lol

Sponsored

CourtVAR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, X5
Any 2018 orders with same email?
I am a 11/2018 preorder who got that email yesterday. I had a signed PBA for March/April 2022. End of April was told no go due to OC interior:-( Then I switched to BM. I never got the 6/11 email. Just the BS one from yesterday.
Spoke with my guide who told me that no one but employees and execs will be getting R1S despite the 6/11 email, but I take that with a grain of salt. Maybe she was trying to appease me.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I am a 11/2018 preorder who got that email yesterday. I had a signed PBA for March/April 2022. End of April was told no go due to OC interior:-( Then I switched to BM. I never got the 6/11 email. Just the BS one from yesterday.
Spoke with my guide who told me that no one but employees and execs will be getting R1S despite the 6/11 email, but I take that with a grain of salt. Maybe she was trying to appease me.
Are u appeased?

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Back in mid-March, I posted this on the other Rivian forum:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Delivery Update Email (June 30, 2022) 1656698376443

Though I was roundly ripped for the post at that time, a lot of what I expected to happen (and/or not happen) seems to be occurring.

My real gripe about Rivian is not that production and delivery of the R1S and R1T Max are slipping, it's that they are not forthcoming about the issues. That something like this would have to happen was obvious to anyone with a background in manufacturing or planning back in March, even to someone like me who's never been celebrated for having keen powers of observation.

Continuing griping, I'll take this opportunity to note that I've been waiting for more than two years to configure the vehicle that I want, the R1S Max. That designation was retired by Rivian when the configurator went live and is now called "Longer Range" because storage will be less than the 180 kWh pack on the R1T. Surprising to no one, Rivian has provided zero information about what Longer Range battery pack capacity will be. Those who, like me, have a sublime grasp of the obvious will note that capacity will be somewhere between that of the Long Range (135 kWh) and Max (180 kWh).

Unsurprisingly, and somewhat understandably in the current environment, Rivian also has not given a timetable for when the "Longer Range" pack for the R1S will be available. I have been told by CS for several months now that Rivian is in the process of EPA certification testing of the R1S Longer Range, and that they hope to provide information in the "near future." I take that with a large grain of salt for two reasons. One is that the the "near future" is both a very elastic concept at Rivian, and part of their standard response to almost everything. The other more important element making that bit of NaCl so large is that Rivian refuses to say what R1S platform the testing is being done on.

From a logical standpoint however, this particular lack of candor is understandable since answering the question would tip Rivian's hand.

If Rivian is using the quad-motor R1S as the testing platform, that means "near future" is relatively close. It also means that pre-March order holders get the R1S platform at least, at the original price (the battery pack was never a configurable option so if you want it, you'll need to pay full retail.)

If Rivain is doing the cert testing on the dual-motor platform however, the reason for the reluctance is pretty clear. The dual-motor platform is probably very far from production, which means the wait for delivery of an R1S Longer Range is probably measured in years. Using the dual-motor does however make some sense. It buys Rivian more time to work out the issues with larger battery pack. If, as many suspect, the issues have to do with available space in the R1S chassis, it may be easier to do on a two-motor platform than on one with four.

On the other hand, that kind of sucks for for earlier reservation holders who want the R1S Longer Range (like me.) Not only do we have to wait a lot longer, we will have to pay whatever the full retail price is. The practical effect is to render your early reservation meaningless.

I'll stop the rant here and leave it at this: I'm eager to see if any of the industry analysts who attend the earnings calls press RJ and the Rivian Exec team on these issues. I think the next one is 11 August, so we don't have too long to wait.

Last edited:

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Maybe my mistake but I had thought they had guided to more than 15k R1s in the first full year of production.
That's the big question and think it was a misnomer. It's been reported that the average analyst projection after IPO was something like 40k vehicles in 2022. Presumably that included EDV's because they just care about total sales/revenue. The first time Rivian ever put out a number was the Q1 call when they stated 25k total.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Sooo I've been following most of the latest delay reactions and posts and have a question.....

For those that received the 6/11 email with the last quarter of this year as the window, what do you suppose changed in roughly 14 to 17 days such that they had to send out a new timeframe pushing you guys into 2023? Its major PR disaster in my view. If they figured its going to be in 2023, they certainly must have know that on 6/11.

In my case, I was already at the back of the bus in 2023 so I've received nothing and maybe something by the end of the summer per Rivian (do they sell a bridge too?)

Stop me if you have heard this one about the supply shortage - enough already... And the service centers - Ohy - looks like tots of SoCal people are affected when there is a Hub, Costa Mesa Center, Irvine HQ, San Diego Center and so on.

I've also read that all Canadian delivery is pushed out to 2H2023.

Fundamentally, if the delay is fiscally material, which I believe it is by pushing out sales/revenue further out, then there should be SEC filing for this but there is not as of today.

So what happened??? Maybe Rivian is focusing on their efforts to bring e-bicycle to the market over R1S...

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

concur…

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sooo I've been following most of the latest delay reactions and posts and have a question.....

For those that received the 6/11 email with the last quarter of this year as the window, what do you suppose changed in roughly 14 to 17 days such that they had to send out a new timeframe pushing you guys into 2023? Its major PR disaster in my view. If they figured its going to be in 2023, they certainly must have know that on 6/11.

In my case, I was already at the back of the bus in 2023 so I've received nothing and maybe something by the end of the summer per Rivian (do they sell a bridge too?)

Stop me if you have heard this one about the supply shortage - enough already... And the service centers - Ohy - looks like tots of SoCal people are affected when there is a Hub, Costa Mesa Center, Irvine HQ, San Diego Center and so on.

Fundamentally, if the delay is fiscally material, which I believe it is by pushing out sales/revenue further out, then there should be SEC filing for this but there is not as of today.

So what happened??? Maybe Rivian is focusing on their efforts to bring e-bicycle to the market over R1S...
As far as we can tell, Rivian is actually well on their way to hitting their stated production target for this year. Just because a bunch of our estimated delivery windows have shifted back, does not mean there is a fiscally material impact.

STLBlues76

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Attorney

I think there is a misunderstanding-- those that received the 6/11 email with the August/September or October-December 2022 window did not receive an email yesterday pushing them (us) into 2023. I checked with CS yesterday to confirm and CS said that, no, the 6/11 windows are still accurate and that the emails that went out yesterday had not previously been updated. Maybe there are one or two outliers.

WylieD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4 hybrid, Honda Insight hybrid
I may get my 2024 BEV Range Rover Sport first.
2024 BEV Range Rover Sport--Has Land Rover actually committed to this? I know the design is supposed to be full-electric ready. But their website mentions only PHEV and HEV models.
Sponsored