Sponsored

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Got my R1S delivered last Saturday (10/29).

Pre-order date: 2019, 9/30.
Original Configuration: LE, LA Silver, Black mountain interior, Underbody shield, 22 inch road wheels, Spare wheel.
Final Configuration: LE, El Cap, BM interior, 20 inch AT wheels black, Spare wheel.

Configuration finalization and guide assignment - 9/9/22.

Talking to the guide, I found that if I change the configuration, I would get a vehicle that has already been produced and I can get matched to it. My original config will have to be manufactured new and it could be delayed well into Nov, Dec. With the newly passed Inflation Reduction Act and EV credits getting murkier starting from Jan 2023, I wanted to go ahead and get my R1S at the earliest. My wife vetoed the previous color after we had taken pictures of the vehicles in the local service center and El Cap was final. Seeing so many folks buy the 20 inch AT wheels, I picked that and sacrificed the underbody shield as I am no rock crawler. The spare wheel was a must-have and so my guide helped me settle on the final configuration.

The 8 step delivery process is not bad and it works. I arranged for my own financing thru my local credit union and used my existing insurance. Even the online notarization process was smooth. I had to delay the delivery by about a week and a half as I had to take care of some medical needs, procedures on priority. Rivian was kind enough to wait and decided that it was best if they did a home delivery for me that way I did not have to move around much due to my medical care.

When the R1S rolled into the driveway, it looked so majestic ! The walk around itself was a breeze. The pairing of the phone, the set-up of the media console etc went well.

1. Thanks to the many mentions by fellow forum members, the air compressor outlet was the first one on the service ticket. The Rivian associate agreed and noted it down.
  2. The absence of the 12 volt plug in the Frunk was the second. He mentioned that in the later builds of the R1S, they have revised the configuration of the frunk and the 12 volt plug is not an option any more :).
  3. The gap in the rear between the bumper and the tailgate looked a little bigger than expected. He said that all R1Ss have that gap. It was more an aesthetics issue than functionality for me. I am not sweating over it. I think over time, the later builds of R1S will have that gap narrowed.
The associate and me went for a test drive on the freeway to test the Driver+ autosteer, assisted cruise control options. The R1S is so smooth compared to my Model X on the freeway. Autosteer was at par with Tesla but I will have to do a rainy day test once it starts pouring over here in the next couple days. An uber picked up the Rivian chap after the test drive and then it was family test drive time!! The family loves the car and they couldn't stop talking about the spaciousness, the soft ride compared to the Model X, the quality of the seats, utilitarian options and the list goes on. By the end of the short ride, the only question asked by them was 'So, when are you selling the Tesla ?'. After 5 years of a Tesla being at home spanning a model S and then a model X, it looked like they were just so relieved that there is another way more comfortable EV option !

Unlike Tesla, since Driver + is allowed only on freeways, I had to focus and couldn't engage in the chirpy, excited conversations inside the car. The wife said 'What a relief ! He is keeping quiet finally !' :CWL:. Talking about being quiet, the R1S is way way quieter than the Model X and for once we could have a good conversation on the freeway without having to be extra loud. Rivian has paid a lot of attention to the acoustics and its such a quiet ride. I would say it is as quiet as my BMW X3 or my previous ride a Toyota Highlander. We came home and tested the spooky Halloween mode as well ! Fun !

This is the first time, I have bought a vehicle without a test drive and may I say that Rivian really knocked this one off the park ! Will be wrapping it in clear wrap in the next two weeks and also tinting the windshield, roof and the windows.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Delivered - She's home [El Cap Granite, BM, 20 "AT] and she's lovely ! R1SFront

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Delivered - She's home [El Cap Granite, BM, 20 "AT] and she's lovely ! R1SLeft

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Delivered - She's home [El Cap Granite, BM, 20 "AT] and she's lovely ! R1SRear

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Delivered - She's home [El Cap Granite, BM, 20 "AT] and she's lovely ! R1SRight
Sponsored

Last edited:

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
gorgeous!

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
congrats!!!! jealous that you ordered 6 months after me and you had a guide to talk to. enjoy, it looks sweet!

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Original Configuration: LE, LA Silver, Black mountain interior, Underbody shield, 22 inch road wheels, Spare wheel.
Final Configuration: LE, El Cap, BM interior, 20 inch AT wheels black, Spare wheel.

Talking to the guide, I found that if I change the configuration, I would get a vehicle that has been produced and I can get matched to it. My original config will have to be manufactured new and it could be delayed well into Nov, Dec. With the newly passed Inflation Reduction Act and EV credits getting murkier starting from Jan 2023, I wanted to go ahead and get my R1S at the earliest. My wife vetoed the previous color after we had taken pictures of the vehicles in the local service center and El Cap was final. Seeing so many folks buy the 20 inch AT wheels, I picked that and sacrificed the underbody shield as I am no rock crawler. The spare wheel was a must-have and so my guide helped me settle on the final configuration.

The 8 step delivery process is not bad and it works. I arranged for my own financing thru my local credit union and used my existing insurance. Even the online notarization process was smooth. I had to delay the delivery by about a week and a half as I had to take care of some medical needs, procedures on priority. Rivian was kind enough to wait and decided that it was best if they did a home delivery for me that way I did not have to move around much due to my medical care.

When the R1S rolled into the driveway, it looked so majestic ! The walk around itself was a breeze. The pairing of the phone, the set-up of the media console etc went well.

1. Thanks to the many mentions by fellow forum members, the air compressor outlet was the first one on the service ticket. The Rivian associate agreed and noted it down.
  2. The absence of the 12 volt plug in the Frunk was the second. He mentioned that in the later builds of the R1S, they have revised the configuration of the frunk and the 12 volt plug is not an option any more :).
  3. The gap in the rear between the bumper and the tailgate looked a little bigger than expected. He said that all R1Ss have that gap. It was more an aesthetics issue than functionality for me. I am not sweating over it. I think over time, the later builds of R1S will have that gap narrowed.
The associate and me went for a test drive on the freeway to test the Driver+ autosteer, assisted cruise control options. The R1S is so smooth compared to my Model X on the freeway. Autosteer was at par with Tesla but I will have to do a rainy day test once it starts pouring over here in the next couple days. An uber picked up the Rivian chap after the test drive and then it was family test drive time!! The family loves the car and they couldn't stop talking about the spaciousness, the soft ride compared to the Model X, the quality of the seats, utilitarian options and the list goes on. By the end of the short ride, the only question asked by them was 'So, when are you selling the Tesla ?'. After 5 years of a Tesla being at home spanning a model S and then a model X, it looked like they were just so relieved that there is another way more comfortable EV option !

Unlike Tesla, since Driver + is allowed only on freeways, I had to focus and couldn't engage in the chirpy, excited conversations inside the car. The wife said 'What a relief ! He is keeping quiet finally !' :CWL:. Talking about being quiet, the R1S is way way quieter than the Model X and for once we could have a good conversation on the freeway without having to be extra loud. Rivian has paid a lot of attention to the acoustics and its such a quiet ride. I would say it is as quiet as my BMW X3 or my previous ride a Toyota Highlander. We came home and tested the spooky Halloween mode as well ! Fun !

This is the first time, I have bought a vehicle without a test drive and may I say that Rivian really knocked this one off the park ! Will be wrapping it in clear wrap in the next two weeks and also tinting the windshield, roof and the windows.

R1SFront.jpg

R1SLeft.jpg

R1SRear.jpg

R1SRight.jpg
What's her name

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Awesome overview and vehicle. This is almost exactly the same config I have.

Questions - was the undershield a delayer when you talked to the guide? Also, you mention getting PPF, are you going to black out the chrome or leave it?

And looking at it, the only thing I don't like, the yellow brakes. But hey, like you did, if I can have it now, I can ignore some things.

hugebob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
R1SFront.jpg

R1SLeft.jpg

R1SRear.jpg

R1SRight.jpg

[/QUOTE]

OMG, that looks sweet! Did you go with quad motors? Congrats! But, based on your timing, I've may have a ways to go. I reserved in June of this year! :crying:

Last edited:

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S

Talking to the guide, I found that if I change the configuration, I would get a vehicle that has been produced and I can get matched to it. My original config will have to be manufactured new and it could be delayed well into Nov, Dec. With the newly passed Inflation Reduction Act and EV credits getting murkier starting from Jan 2023, I wanted to go ahead and get my R1S at the earliest. My wife vetoed the previous color after we had taken pictures of the vehicles in the local service center and El Cap was final. Seeing so many folks buy the 20 inch AT wheels, I picked that and sacrificed the underbody shield as I am no rock crawler. The spare wheel was a must-have and so my guide helped me settle on the final configuration.

R1SFront.jpg

R1SLeft.jpg

R1SRear.jpg

R1SRight.jpg
Great review man and congrats on getting your vehicle! I look forward to seeing you on the road in the near future! (Look for another El-Cap R1S with 22") We are in Seattle so will keep our eyes out for you when we head out to your neck of the woods for hikes! :)

OP
OP
johnking

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnking

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Great review man and congrats on getting your vehicle! I look forward to seeing you on the road in the near future! (Look for another El-Cap R1S with 22") We are in Seattle so will keep our eyes out for you when we head out to your neck of the woods for hikes! :)

Yesterday, when I was on I-90, another R1S pulled up on the inner lane and we waived to each other ! It was such a cool feeling to spot a fellow Rivian adventurer ! He followed me for a bit and then went on ahead ! Will keep an eye out for you !

OP
OP
johnking

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
OMG, that looks sweet! Did you go with quad motors? Congrats! But, based on your timing, I've may have a ways to go. I reserved in June of this year! :crying:
Thank you @hugebob . Yes, this has quad motors. All Launch editions are quad motors I think unless Rivian has changed anything recently.

OP
OP
johnking

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Awesome overview and vehicle. This is almost exactly the same config I have.

Questions - was the undershield a delayer when you talked to the guide? Also, you mention getting PPF, are you going to black out the chrome or leave it?

And looking at it, the only thing I don't like, the yellow brakes. But hey, like you did, if I can have it now, I can ignore some things.
Thanks @RBR1S. Per the guide, there was no 'El Cap + BM + Spare tire' combo with the underbody shield that was produced and available for assignment to customers. He said, it will have to be built in the factory. It did not seem like it could delay the production but since I was going with the goal of taking delivery at the earliest and not spilling over to the new year, I opted for without the underbody shield.

The other compromise I made was the wheels. He said that the 21" road tires were not on any of the R1Ss produced that were awaiting assignment to customers. I asked if that was a constrain and he mentioned that he doesn't have visibility into it. That is why I had to pay extra $3.5K for the black 20" AT wheels (which I love).

Once the vehicles are produced, Rivian doesn't do any further customizations. Example, I was asking if I could opt for an 'El Cap + BM + 20" AT bright' (which was available) and they could throw-in the inflatable spare tire into it. He said that they will not be able to change the build of materials of a produced car until it leaves the factory. He said, in that case, I will need to buy the spare wheel + tire combo off the gear shop and it could be sometime next year as they are backlogged.

Flexibility of produced vehicles is not as much as we would like to see. But I see where they are coming from since that will help them minimize variability and increase the predictability of deliveries.

I will check with the installer if they can wrap a black vinyl to chrome delete the top lining. If they can't, I will possibly do it by myself next summer. I did a chrome delete of my Model X after buying the pre-cut vinyl strips from a seller online. The mirrors needed more patience and I saved it for another day.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Delivered - She's home [El Cap Granite, BM, 20 "AT] and she's lovely ! PXL_20220904_212551224

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Delivered - She's home [El Cap Granite, BM, 20 "AT] and she's lovely ! PXL_20220904_212607087

Last edited:

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The family has named her Galadriel. I think it is a warrior in the Amazon Prime series they are watching :) !
Fyi...Galadriel can live more than 2000 yrs....hopefully the R1S is as durable
Sponsored