Sponsored

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Yesterday I picked up my R1S, ordered 10/6/2019. It wasn't -exactly- the truck I ordered, but my guide offered it to me If I was willing to travel to pick it up. My preorder was for LA Silver on 20" AT and this truck is Glacier White but otherwise identical. I'd waffled between GW, Limestone and LA Silver anyway, so I'm happy with the color.

I'm tired this morning after a long day of travel, but will post some brief thoughts. I'm happy to expand later if anyone is interested.

Observations in no particular order:

I'm delighted with the vehicle overall, and like others impressed with what Rivian has accomplished in a relatively short time. My criticisms are mostly "nit-picking" and overall I'm very satisfied.

I picked the truck up at the Detroit, MI service center. If you look on Rivian's website as of yesterday, there doesn't seem to be one there (just "coming soon") but I can assure you it is there and looks busy. 13250 N Haggerty road in Plymouth.

The only downsides of picking up there were that I live 800 miles away in Memphis, TN, and my delivery appointment coincided with a winter storm warning threatening high winds and 4-6" of snow.

I brought a friend to share driving/navigating chores. We rushed through the delivery a bit (our request) to make it out ahead of the worst of the weather, but they made it clear that they were happy to spend as much time as we wanted to explain things. The process was smooth, and they loaded us up with water bottles and snacks for the trip.

Overall build quality seems good, although it was cold, drizzling, and -very- windy so I haven't yet spent a lot of time going over everything. Panel gaps mostly good except for the rear hatch which really doesn't fit very well. The compressor hose won't fit on the nipple because the hole in the plastic trim isn't centered (others have reported this as well).

I was pleased to find a 12V outlet in the frunk, and two magnets for those keeping score.

We left about 9:30 local under ominous looking skies with the wind howling out of the east. 90% charge and 16 miles on the odometer.

First leg was to the EA chargers in Dayton, OH in a gusty crosswind and extremely heavy rain. First stall could only manage 40 or so kw, the second about 130kw, so we were stuck there a bit. The EA app and charger interface was buggy and took several attempts to work, which was annoying with rain, temps in the 30s, and way too much wind to use an umbrella.

Others have written about this, but the EA network needs help, and public charging needs to improve for more widespread EV adoption. My friend and I are both long term Tesla owners and tech savvy. We had only one charging session in 800 miles that worked exactly as it should. the others required restarting, moving between stalls, and we only got full rated charge half the time.

The remaining stops were in Louisville KY (good session), Nashville, TN (started OK for 5 minutes, then dropped to 60 kw, we left after getting enough to get to Jackson, TN. The stop in Jackson was only necessary because we didn't charge past 60% in Nashville at the slow rate. Jackson worked fine, but the "350kw" EA charger maxed out at about 130kw.

We never charged to more than 90%, and were able to make 200+ mile legs in occasionally very heavy rain and winds. For at least 5-6 hours the wind was almost directly on the nose. We were tracking the weather reports (METARS) at local airports, and the worst we saw was directly on the nose at 37 gusting 53.

Most driving was in the mid 70s, but traffic and visibility often slowed us into the 30s and occasionally traffic came to a dead stop. There were a couple of slowdowns due to wrecks, floods lanes, and trees down.

It was definitely an adventure, with few pictures because weather really wasn't cooperating, but I'm very happy to have it tucked safely into my garage. It looks positively enormous next to ny wife's GLC43.

A few more observations:

I like the headlights a lot. Great beam pattern and the auto high beams work well. Auto wipers too, and I like the way the rear wiper is implemented.

The internet connectivity/mobile hotspot worked very well. My friend works as a software engineer, and spent much of the trip in the right seat working remotely with a stable ssh connection into his server at work. He was impressed, and it was much more stable than the hotspot on his Android phone.

The Spotify App is buggy, but we eventually got it working. Phone Bluetooth works well, USB would be better, as others have noted.

CarPlay or Android Auto would be great. The Rivian Nav is way worse than Apple Maps, Google Maps, or even the system in my wife's 2020 Mercedes. I think the latest OTA update addresses this somewhat, but my car is still a couple of iterations behind.

Another couple of observations: We saw two F150 lightnings that had been picked up that day at different chargers, not another Rivian except at the service center.

The Rivian Nav and app are -years- behind Tesla. Simply awful in comparison. I know they will improve, but we were using phone apps.

The Rivian Highway Assist is as good IMHO as Tesla AP1, with the exception of only working on mapped roads, and the lack of lane changes. It is better (again with the exception of lane changes and "mapped roads") than the system in my wife's 2020 Mercedes.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. IMG_8461
Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. IMG_8455
Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. IMG_8442
Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. IMG_8444
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Congrats on your new S and for surviving your first of many adventures!

RyRy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Occupation
Government
Congrats. The white is beautiful! If I didn’t already have my R1T in white, I would definitely get the R1S in white. Enjoy!

Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I see so many of these posts and yet so few include rear photos. I’m curious to check the misalignments and gaps around the liftgate and tailgate, which are abundant on earlier trims. Have they been fixed? Is everyone too embarrassed to post photos of the misaligned back of their brand new Rivians, or it just a non-interesting view to capture?

Reactions: Guy

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dang, my guide should have grabbed that one for me. Congrats on the new vehicle and safely piloting it home!

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Great review and just my kind of adventure (it rains a lot in Seattle, and wind, and well, it sounds the same as it's been here for a few months).

White definitely isn't my color (years ago I vowed never to own another white car) but it looks good either way. Funny you say it's huge, but several of those pictures make it seem not so big.

Time and time again, I see people saying "the truck is great but charging sucks". I hate to say it, but I'm not worried about the charging because well, all of you guys saying how bad it is have set my expectations pretty low. I feel lucky I am in the PNW where I've seen huge numbers of chargers (usually sitting empty). If any of them work, I'll be fine.

Your story though makes me seriously want a factory delivery so I can have a 2k+ adventure on the way home. If I get a service center delivery, it's well, 15 minutes, not much of an adventure. Funny enough, it's an 8 hour round trip for a first mile, but thats a different complaint.

Congrats on taking it home, enjoy!!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for sharing your great Adventure story!

OP
OP
Joe schmoe

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Here are a couple of photos of the lift gate:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. 48BF99F2-2214-4DB3-9AEE-FEA6C1E8D7E7
Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. 02EAD089-E5AA-4537-98CF-421A5A8FD9B2

for comparison, here’s a 2020 Mercedes/AMG
Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. D4C14EF9-EDA2-4BB0-BF52-2F0FB62D84E6

and a 2005 Honda Pilot
Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. B362FF5E-CE4F-442D-8A5D-3669BFAC3CE6

And a 2010 BMW X5
Rivian R1T R1S R1S delivered. Delighted and impressed overall. 7EBB98AE-98D7-433E-B55E-4E72E09191D7

All of the SUVs in the extended family fleet have better panel gaps, but I’m not giving up the Rivian ;)

Sponsored

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

Thanks for sharing your experience! Enjoy the R1S!

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

What is your opinion of the ride quality on your long drive back?

OP
OP
Joe schmoe

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Ride quality is subjective, but IMHO is excellent. There were a lot of rough roads, especially in the beginning of the trip (Michigan in late winter/early spring before they've had a chance to fix the potholes)

All of this is opinion, and while I think I pay attention pretty well, I have exactly zero qualifications as an expert unless you count having owned and driven a very wide variety of cars.

The 20"AT tires have pretty stiff sidewalls, and It is an SUV, not a sedan, but overall I was impressed. My friend was as well, and his daily driver is a Tesla Model 3, but he's owned a couple of Mercedes Gelandewagens.

I've ridden in the back of recent model Suburbans/Escalades/Navigators/Expeditions used by ride services and feel the R1S was quieter and smoother than most of the genre.

There is a little disconnect between roll stability (tilting left and right around the long axis of the vehicle) and pitch stability (the nose rising and falling relative to the tail). It is very stiff/stable in roll, much less so in pitch. Most SUVs are a little soft around both axes unless they are very stiffly (and uncomfortably) sprung.

I think this disconnect may underlie the complaints about the R1s being less stable than the R1T or "pogoing." It's very easy, especially in Sport mode at low speed, to get into a little bouncy positive feedback loop where you get just a little more acceleration than you expected, so you back off and accidentally get a little regen which makes the front dip, so you push and and get more than you expected and the front rises again. Each little swing can get a little wider until you stop trying to correct it.

In airplanes this kind of positive feedback loop is called a "pilot induced oscillation" or PIO. I was surprised to see it when getting used to the vehicle. It is exacerbated by the instant available torque and very strong regen.

It is -absolutely- not a problem after you get used to it. It is very much like trying to teach someone to learn to drive an unfamiliar manual transmission car. If it has soft motor/transmission mounts, this kind of PIO is pretty common until they get used to it.

TL, DR. It's fine, don't worry about it ;)

Seabreeze2112

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Truck Driver
Congratulations. Fellow Aviation Brethren I see. I'm going to the US Air Force Museum in Dayton OH in a few weeks. That will be my first Road Trip from NYC area.
Sponsored