First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Ford Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
In an effort to determine whether the R1S would work for me and my family on camping trips, I reached out to customer support with some specific questions regarding capacity information. Here is what I found out:

Interior cargo volume behind 3rd row (this information I have already seen published): 499 L = 17.6 ft^3
Interior cargo volume behind 2nd row (3rd row folded, this information was new to me): 1,323 L = 46.7 ft^3
Interior cargo volume behind 1st row (2nd and 3rd row folded): 2,499 L = 88.25 ft^3

Cargo floor length behind 3rd row: 21"
Cargo floor length behind 2nd row: 51"
Maximum cargo width behind 2nd and 2rd row: 51"
Maximum cargo width behind 1st row: 58"
Minimum cargo width: 42"

Currently offering an optional compact spare under the rear cargo area. Currently they do not have an option for an externally mounted spare.

Right now I'm using a 49.9 ft^3 bed with tonneau cover plus a 14 ft^3 roof box on top of bed on our dispersed camping trips. While this means I'm giving up 5.5 ft^3 if I don't have the roof box on the R1S, it does mean I'm in the ballpark of making it fit. Now to decide whether waiting for the 400 mile range battery is worth the wait.
Minimum cargo width 42 inches, I hope this isn't the case, I'd like the option to lay full 4x8ft pieces of plywood or drywall etc in the back with the seats folded flat.

We've always been abke to utilize
our SUV when making home mods.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Minimum cargo width 42 inches, I hope this isn't the case, I'd like the option to lay full 4x8ft pieces of plywood or drywall etc in the back with the seats folded flat.

I don’t think you have 8’ of cargo floor either. Maybe something could be built which props sheet goods on an angle side to side and then leave the tailgate open to support most of the excess length. Of course with some straps to keep cargo from sliding out when accelerating.

? I guess a bonus of an EV for hauling cargo is that you don’t have to worry about your exhaust gases entering the cabin when driving an SUV with the tailgate open.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I do not think you would unless you elevated the load above the wheel wells/Third row arm rests.

This is from the video where RJ showed how flat the seats folded, you can see the narrow part where the wheel wells are.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Capacity 1621472543475

Those are the same specs I got from CS a couple of months ago and minimum space is 42.6 inches

• The cargo floor length behind third-row seats is 553 mm.
• The cargo width behind third-row seats is 1298 mm.
• The cargo floor length behind second-row seats is 1353 mm.
• The cargo width behind the second-row seats is 1298 mm.
• The cargo width minimum with 5 passenger seating is 1151 mm.
• The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm.

• The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm.

• The cargo width minimum and maximum ranges from 1084-1496 mm (42.6 inches) .
• The cargo volume behind the third-row seats is 499 liters.
• The cargo volume behind the second-row seats with the third row folded is 1323 liters.
• The cargo volume behind the first-row seats with the second and third-row seats folded down is 2499 liters.

• The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm. (33.6 inches)
• The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm. (36.4 inches)
Sponsored