Sponsored

R1S big butt - is it an issue for owners

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
So 4 years into waiting, I keep getting bothered by one thing - the big flat butt on the R1S. It's looks more square (and thus as big or bigger butt) than even a Excursion,Yukon, Escalade, etc. Nearly as bad as the Ford Edge, eg ZERO sloping/aerodynamics appearance.

So the question is - does it bother you, is it easy/hard to see out of all that back end. Does it make it feel bigger than it is (like those other behemoths I mentioned). Would you rather it sloped?

The example I'm coming from is Grand Cherokee.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S big butt - is it an issue for owners 1669654795025
Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

No bothered by it all. Also, it's nowhere near the Ford Extinction or GM Suburban/Tahoe/Escalade massiveness.

Perhaps you've gotten used to looking at "me too" CUVs and bubble butt SUV with a roof top spoiler to trick your eyes.

At least R1S is a proper two box SUV without losing the U in the SUV...

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

It’s part of the R1S design ethos. Why duplicate the saturated teardrop design that eeks out a bit more efficiency at the expense of capacity?

No worse on visibility and there are cameras and radar to assist with drivability. I would say there’s more visibility compared to many sloping roof tear drop designs where c pillars and narrow windows block vision.

I appreciate getting some utility back in my sport utility.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I like it and can imagine I'd appreciate that it gives you better vertical storage. How many times have I wanted to get a flatscreen TV box into a car and discovered the only thing stopping me was the slope at the back preventing the hatch from closing over the box. Give me rounded squares or give me death! 😆

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

So 4 years into waiting, I keep getting bothered by one thing - the big flat butt on the R1S. It's looks more square (and thus as big or bigger butt) than even a Excursion,Yukon, Escalade, etc. Nearly as bad as the Ford Edge, eg ZERO sloping/aerodynamics appearance.

So the question is - does it bother you, is it easy/hard to see out of all that back end. Does it make it feel bigger than it is (like those other behemoths I mentioned). Would you rather it sloped?

The example I'm coming from is Grand Cherokee.
1669654795025.png
The boxy shape which accommodates the most practical inside storage is a HUGE plus for us. Going in the opposite direction, one thing which prevented us from buying a Model X a while ago was the sloped back.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I strongly prefer the squared design - my primary use of the back is for transporting a dog and I hate with a passion the sloped roof designs.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

It is so much more practical to have a squared off back end like the R1S in a SUV of this class. You aren't limited to height restrictions when storing equipment in the cargo area like you are with most modern "SUVs". I'm looking at you, Model X!

I prefer the aesthetic, as well. If you want a SUV with a sloped back end, you have dozens of options. The squared back end of the R1S is increasingly rare in the SUV market, and is a big differentiator. It's possibly the most practical design feature on the vehicle.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I'm imagining an R1S with a sloped butt and it's not a good thing.

I had a Ford Flex for a while - about the same size and shape (generally speaking) as the R1S. It was very practical for it's size.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Tahoe/Escalade rear ends are done better, imo.

I did finally get to see R1S up close and rear end was not as ugly in person. Maybe because I was awed by actually seeing one up close and personal..........

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Tahoe/Escalade rear ends are done better, imo.

I did finally get to see R1S up close and rear end was not as ugly in person. Maybe because I was awed by actually seeing one up close and personal..........
Agree pictures dont do it a lot of justice the proportions look off for some reason but in person everything comes together. Back 3/4 view is my least favorite. But looking straight from behind the wheel well haunches give it a really athletic look.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Big butts need love too.