OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
It is so much more practical to have a squared off back end like the R1S in a SUV of this class. You aren't limited to height restrictions when storing equipment in the cargo area like you are with most modern "SUVs". I'm looking at you, Model X!
I don't and never will consider the model X an SUV. At best its a crossover, at worst and in reality, it's an ugly station wagon.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Tahoe/Escalade rear ends are done better, imo.

I did finally get to see R1S up close and rear end was not as ugly in person. Maybe because I was awed by actually seeing one up close and personal..........
Agree pictures dont do it a lot of justice the proportions look off for some reason but in person everything comes together. Back 3/4 view is my least favorite. But looking straight from behind the wheel well haunches give it a really athletic look.

I'm 100% feeling this. The pictures make it look big, bulky, and it's making me question it. It probably would be better if, you know, it was possible to see one in person. But as of today, they feel like Unicorns.

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
Funny, I also think is it a little too square, but only slightly, like 2-3" for slightly more slope IMO would look better. But overall I like it now more than significant slope...

So 4 years into waiting, I keep getting bothered by one thing - the big flat butt on the R1S. It's looks more square (and thus as big or bigger butt) than even a Excursion,Yukon, Escalade, etc. Nearly as bad as the Ford Edge, eg ZERO sloping/aerodynamics appearance.

So the question is - does it bother you, is it easy/hard to see out of all that back end. Does it make it feel bigger than it is (like those other behemoths I mentioned). Would you rather it sloped?

The example I'm coming from is Grand Cherokee.
1669654795025.png

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The boxy shape which accommodates the most practical inside storage is a HUGE plus for us. Going in the opposite direction, one thing which prevented us from buying a Model X a while ago was the sloped back.
I agree here and the Rivian boxy rear end is the what drew me to the vehicle in the first place. Everything else sealed the deal but any other shape and I doubt that I would have even looked at it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I don't and never will consider the model X an SUV. At best its a crossover, at worst and in reality, it's an ugly station wagon.
Not even sure I could go with station wagon, always looked like a bloated hatchback. That shape and the over engineered falcon doors is why I went with the Model S instead of the X.

Sponsored

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
It is my preference for sure. I've had sloping and am looking forward to expanded space and visibility!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I agree here and the Rivian boxy rear end is the what drew me to the vehicle in the first place. Everything else sealed the deal but any other shape and I doubt that I would have even looked at it.
Yeah, other than the step up in the roof our LR3 is about as boxy as you can get. The thing may as well be a Tardis given its size on the outside and the insane amount of stuff we we have hauled inside it. Compared to that, the R1S is longer on the outside and longer on the inside so I have high hopes for it… as long as our cargo isn’t too tall.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Eh. No opinion. I guess it's okay for people who need to tote around seven people and their junk. Personally I'll never stop hoping some EV manufacturer will give us a real work truck though - one with a long(er) bed and short(er) cab. I have zero interest in a second or third row of seats, could count on one hand with a couple fingers leftover the number of times I've needed more than two people in the cab, LOL. 🤷

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
None of these vehicles has a true useable 3rd row with true cargo. This design takes advantage of every inch of the real estate.

It's great.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Do the same image with the Audi Q7 or X7 or the GLS, they all have the same proportions.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
I cannot lie, I like the big flat butt....

FWIW, the butt doesn't look as big in person.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Its a NO for me too! Its fine!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Eh. No opinion. I guess it's okay for people who need to tote around seven people and their junk. Personally I'll never stop hoping some EV manufacturer will give us a real work truck though - one with a long(er) bed and short(er) cab. I have zero interest in a second or third row of seats, could count on one hand with a couple fingers leftover the number of times I've needed more than two people in the cab, LOL. 🤷
I think Rivian is going after a very different type of buyer so you’re most likely to see that from one of the Detroit three.
Sponsored