R1S big butt - is it an issue for owners

kevint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570, GX470, Audi E-tron
Occupation
Business owner
I love the room of my big butted Lexus for car camping and sleeping in the vehicle. I love the sculpted look of the Audi Etron Sportback .. however , for adventuring / camping , carrying gear, give me the big old butt.
Sponsored

steve1081

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model S, 2021 Yukon Denali, R1S LE
I've had mine for about 2 months. I love the square back and the rear styling of R1S is the reason I picked it back in 2019 and there is still no other option (electric or ICE) that I prefer in the price point. For more money I do like the new range rover....

Our other car is a Yukon and behind the 3rd row storage in R1S has as much depth as the yukon (yukon is wider and taller). Overall including frunk we can fit as much or more cargo for a trip or lacrosse tournament in the R1S with the rear seats up for passengers.

The vehicle does definitely feel smaller (height and width) than the Yukon. I don't have other direct comparisons; but, I like the look of the square back and I think the packaging is great. I.E. almost as much storage as a short Yukon / Expedition with a smaller footprint.

MinnR1S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Clubs

this is something you need to see in person.
The comparison photo may not be scaled well.
I have a XC90 and its not much bigger in size or feel.
It does feel roomier inside due to the squared off corners. It is nice size SUV. It drives nicely on the road and had a surprising nimble turning radius in the parking lot.
The square nose may take more to get used to. a slightly more rounded nose may help with visibility for some.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I like flat back SUVs. The boxy look always looks better with a flat back. I really like the new Defender.....it doesn't get more flat than that.

Sponsored

Kieran

First Name
Kieran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S75, 2007 Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Engineer
Midsize. Fullsize SUVs are quite a bit larger.
I agree. I've had several people online tell me it's a nice "proper full sized suv" when I'm asking about room/storage, etc. I see them in person fairly frequently here in the SF bay area. From the exterior, they are nowhere near the size of a "proper" full sized suv IMO. We currently own a 2007 Toyota Sequoia which is on the small end of "full size" for an SUV IMO, and it's definitely larger on the outside.
I'm assuming/hoping that the R1S utilizes the interior space much more efficiently than the old Sequoia, which is a low bar to beat. :) Most modern interiors are much more efficiently laid out and designed these days, than what we got in the 2000's. The volume of the seats alone in the Sequoia is huge.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I agree. I've had several people online tell me it's a nice "proper full sized suv" when I'm asking about room/storage, etc. I see them in person fairly frequently here in the SF bay area. From the exterior, they are nowhere near the size of a "proper" full sized suv IMO. We currently own a 2007 Toyota Sequoia which is on the small end of "full size" for an SUV IMO, and it's definitely larger on the outside.
I'm assuming/hoping that the R1S utilizes the interior space much more efficiently than the old Sequoia, which is a low bar to beat. :) Most modern interiors are much more efficiently laid out and designed these days, than what we got in the 2000's. The volume of the seats alone in the Sequoia is huge.
Yes, I see the R1S as similar to the new WL Grand Cherokee. I believe the 3-row version is nearly identical in every dimension. The Grand Cherokee is most definitely a midsize SUV. Now the Jeep Wagoneer on the other hand is absolutely a fullsize SUV.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

So 4 years into waiting, I keep getting bothered by one thing - the big flat butt on the R1S. It's looks more square (and thus as big or bigger butt) than even a Excursion,Yukon, Escalade, etc. Nearly as bad as the Ford Edge, eg ZERO sloping/aerodynamics appearance.

So the question is - does it bother you, is it easy/hard to see out of all that back end. Does it make it feel bigger than it is (like those other behemoths I mentioned). Would you rather it sloped?

The example I'm coming from is Grand Cherokee.
1669654795025.png
I like big butts, and I cannot lie. But to put the R1S butt in perspective, I present the defender 130 posterior.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S big butt - is it an issue for owners 41D158B9-AE04-4FAB-B979-92AEB4A515C9

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I am 6' and have tons of head room in the 3rd row. Enough said

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I prefer having a proper SUV rather than a crossover.

Sponsored

Tzadik_nistar

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser & 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Finance
Reminds me of a song that starts like this
Oh my God Becky, look at her butt
It is so big, she looks like
One of those rap guys' girlfriends”

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My wife saw a black S in front of us on the freeway yesterday and said “wow that looks good” but omg we cannot afford another R1 especially after the price increase 🫣

the big butt looks good imo.
Sponsored