First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Are there any classes on how to overland? With this level of gear and setup it’s looking like you can get a pretty trick setup for something like an R1T with a full kitchen, comfortable accommodation and even rudimentary toilet facilities which would help sell the wife.

The major thing stopping me is where to start. I live in the southeast US so I’m sure there are overland type places in the mountains/ parks we could go to and stay at not to mention out west. What about clubs to join and maybe network with the sort of people who are successful at doing this?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m no overlanding expert, but I’ve done it a few times. There are clubs now in almost every state where off roading is somewhat popular. It might even just be the local 4x4 club that also organizes overlanding trips. I think that’s a great way to get started. You get to meet people and find out what gear is necessary/ good vs just peacocking. I’m sure you’ve noticed the wide range of prices for almost everything off road related. It’s easy to go way overboard.

It’s also safer to go in groups because if you have a mechanical issue there’s always someone there to help. Not necessary though. I have friends who go out alone frequently. They just let someone know the details of the trip In case we need to call for help if they aren’t back on time.

It’s a lot of fun!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Are there any classes on how to overland? With this level of gear and setup it’s looking like you can get a pretty trick setup for something like an R1T with a full kitchen, comfortable accommodation and even rudimentary toilet facilities which would help sell the wife.

The major thing stopping me is where to start. I live in the southeast US so I’m sure there are overland type places in the mountains/ parks we could go to and stay at not to mention out west. What about clubs to join and maybe network with the sort of people who are successful at doing this?
IMO, the best thing to do is to look at facebook or reddit groups for your area. But don’t overthink it. Overlanding is just camping with your vehicle. You can just get a regular ground tent or roof top tent or even a truck bed tent. The only ‘skill’ that you really need to learn is for off road driving. Even then it’s only a big deal if you’re tackling challenging terrain.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Overlanding in America is just car camping off a dirt trail with a bunch of expensive gear strapped all over your truck. Look into off-road driving courses if you want experience with that before heading off on your own.
Sponsored