Sponsored

Question for people with crossbar bike rack

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thanks. I have a Trek Domane 54cm. Not sure if that will fit. Where did you find the instructions?
https://rivian.com/support/support-documents

the bike carrier rivian offers is constrained by the fact that it,
like most other wheel-holding racks, assumes you have nothing in front of the front wheel, and the front mounting point is fixed. Because it’s fixed and you have to mount the rack backwards to work, you’re limited by the distance from the rear crossbar to the rear of the cab.

The 1up bike carrier has a T slot along its entire length, so you can slide it back far enough to give clearance for the wheel and clamping mechanism at the rear of the cab.
Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
https://rivian.com/support/support-documents

the bike carrier rivian offers is constrained by the fact that it,
like most other wheel-holding racks, assumes you have nothing in front of the front wheel, and the front mounting point is fixed.

The 1up bike carrier has a T slot along its entire length, so you can slide it back far enough to give clearance for the wheel and clamping mechanism at the rear of the cab.
Ah, I should have looked there first. The docs say max length is 70" for cargo bed mount. I just measured my bike and its 66" so looks like it will work. I don't have an existing carrier and I want the rails regardless so this option seems the cheapest/easiest. In my Model S I just laid it in the back but it wouldn't fit without the 2nd row seats up so that reduces it to a 2 seater.

Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack IMG_6610.JPG

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Ah, I should have looked there first. The docs say max length is 70" for cargo bed mount. I just measured my bike and its 66" so looks like it will work. I don't have an existing carrier and I want the rails regardless so this option seems the cheapest/easiest. In my Model S I just laid it in the back but it wouldn't fit without the 2nd row seats up so that reduces it to a 2 seater.

IMG_6610.JPG
Pop the wheels off and you can fit two road bikes behind the back seats in a model S pretty easily

SStroh

First Name
Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thule upride bike rack front t slot is fixed so we turned ours around to face towards the back. The back t slot is adjustable. My 29er bike (woman’s M/L) was very close to not fitting but was able to use the 29fat tire setting and it fits! So much easier for me to get the bike on top of the bed than it was to get on the roof of our last car. My husband and I also have a hitch bike rack and are not sure which one Is better.
Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack DA6024C5-71B4-4F1F-8B57-5139469F8BD6

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
I was disappointed to discover I cannot fit my 29er hard tail in the bed with tailgate up and tonneau closed. . .Does anyone have a large bike and crossbar-mounted rack that works over the R1T bed? Can you share the size? A picture would be awesome, too!
CA,

Like one of the other posters I have a Yakima Frontloader that works great (see pictures at links below) with my Large Esker Rowl (long, slack 29er trailbike). According to Esker that's a 1211mm wheelbase. I posted about this on another forum (starting at post 22). I think this corresponds to a 77" overall length but I'm happy to check tonight if needed.

Personally I go back and forth between using my hitch rack and going over the cab because I tow a fair amount (raft, camper, etc.) and often take my and my family's bikes. I go over the cab instead of the bed because I have a kayak mount on there for a 23' OC1. That mount doesn't work work over the bed.

If I were to do it again (and I may just go this way anyway) I would buy 1up trays that can go back and forth between the rivian bed/cab mount and the hitch mount. For my use I think that this would be just about perfect.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Seth

Sponsored

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
FWIW, I ordered a 1UP rack for the crossbars (flush-mount kit).

They're delayed in shipping it, but once it arrives I'll test-fit and post an update. Based on results others have posted, I'm hopeful this will be a good solution.

I've used hitch-mount racks, in the past (Kuat Sherpa 2.0) and they're good for what they are -- it was certainly the best option for my SUV. But they're not ideal, as they make access to the hatch difficult, block the camera, block the sensors, and make the vehicle longer. Roof-mounted racks are too high to be useful, imo.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I can confirm the 1UP flush mount kit is perfect for the Rivian bed. I have two set up on my bed (I got an extra set of crossbars since I keep my RTT on the crossbars when it is in storage). You can slide them back and forth so they'll take any size bikes - I've carried two XL 29ers no problem.

If you alternated bike direction you could fit four bikes over the bed with these mounts - no more since the t-slot doesn't extend through the middle of the Rivian crossbars. But that's one per adult-sized seat.

I also have a hitch mount (with a Kuat Pivot V2) swingout for when the RTT is on the bed. Roof mounting heavy bikes is just tempting fate with the glass roof IMO.

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I received my 1UP rack, today. Installation was easy. I like the cutouts on the Rivian crossbars -- they allowed me to thread on the t-slot fasteners on my workbench and slide the whole rack into place, easily. Overall quality of the 1UP rack is excellent. I'm pleasantly surprised with how light the unit is -- extremely easy to maneuver and it can easily be installed/removed/stored, as needed.

Two potential concerns:
  1. The rack installs to the t-slot bolts with (4) Allen screws. This seems like a prime target for theft. I plan to use the GearGuard cable around the bike if I stop for food or an errand, but I was hoping to be able to leave the rack in place without a bike and not have the GearGuard cable flopping about all the time. I also want to be able to close the tonneau cover when I don't have a bike with me. Is anyone aware of a good security solution for attaching the rack to the t-slot? Perhaps some alternative screws to at least make it harder than a standard Allen key?
  2. If I "rock" the bike there is a LOT of side-to-side movement. This seems to mostly be because the front wheel can pivot. Maybe this is normal and is not a problem in the real world? It does give me some concern about rough terrain and highway driving, however. Does anyone have any comments about this?
Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack 05E249DE-DC1D-4672-9884-06F3378FA695_1_102_o
Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack 71B579CA-0AFB-4843-B206-C5334234CB97_1_102_o

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I received my 1UP rack, today. Installation was easy. I like the cutouts on the Rivian crossbars -- they allowed me to thread on the t-slot fasteners on my workbench and slide the whole rack into place, easily. Overall quality of the 1UP rack is excellent. I'm pleasantly surprised with how light the unit is -- extremely easy to maneuver and it can easily be installed/removed/stored, as needed.

Two potential concerns:
  1. The rack installs to the t-slot bolts with (4) Allen screws. This seems like a prime target for theft. I plan to use the GearGuard cable around the bike if I stop for food or an errand, but I was hoping to be able to leave the rack in place without a bike and not have the GearGuard cable flopping about all the time. I also want to be able to close the tonneau cover when I don't have a bike with me. Is anyone aware of a good security solution for attaching the rack to the t-slot? Perhaps some alternative screws to at least make it harder than a standard Allen key?
  2. If I "rock" the bike there is a LOT of side-to-side movement. This seems to mostly be because the front wheel can pivot. Maybe this is normal and is not a problem in the real world? It does give me some concern about rough terrain and highway driving, however. Does anyone have any comments about this?
05E249DE-DC1D-4672-9884-06F3378FA695_1_102_o.jpeg
71B579CA-0AFB-4843-B206-C5334234CB97_1_102_o.jpeg
I have the exact same setup.
1. The lack of a lock is a minor concern for me. I am not going to worry too much about it right now, but it would be nice if 1up would create some security, I'd buy it.
2. My bikes wobble quite a bit too, I've driven pretty aggressively up some curvy roads and the bikes are always still on the rack when I get there. The wind makes them wobble at high speeds which concerns me a bit. I triple-check to make sure the bars are as tight as I can get them on the tires. For my road bike, I use the tire adaptor on the front wheel and that holds it much more secure than my squishy mountain bike tires. I have considered putting a velcro strap around the front wheel to secure it to the rack, I think this would help with the wobble.

sben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Anybody have thoughts on this over R1T bed?
https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/sport-awnings/bike-carriers/roof/hybrid-bike-carrier_rbc050

Use will be 29 and 27.5 MTBs. My main concern is that the pictures appear to show the front wheel further forward relative to the front crossbar compared to 1up and Yakima frontloader, so perhaps front wheel would not clear the back of the truck cabin especially for the 29er. Any disadvantage to just mounting everything backward (bike rear facing)? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored