Sponsored

Question for people with crossbar bike rack

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I was disappointed to discover I cannot fit my 29er hard tail in the bed with tailgate up and tonneau closed. I hoped I could remove the front wheel, but alas, it doesn’t fit.

I am looking at the Yakima bike rack that Rivian sells…. The manual says the bike must be <70” overall length to fit over the bed. I measure my bike at ~74”. I am not interested in mounting over the cab.

Does anyone have a large bike and crossbar-mounted rack that works over the R1T bed? Can you share the size? A picture would be awesome, too!
Sponsored

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I have the 1up rack as others on the forum have suggested. My Pivot Trail 429 size Medium fits just fine.
Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack PXL_20220711_030756882

Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack PXL_20220711_030805696

Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack PXL_20220711_030817869

So far really happy with it. Not as easy as my Thule hitch rack, but nice to have the bikes out of the way and this will work while towing.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I have the Yakima Frontloader and it works with my Large 29er e-mtn bike but I had to make some easy mods. The Rivian crossbars are rather oddly profiled when compared with common crossbars. So the front twist-lock mount has plastic jaws that I dremeled to a better matching profile for more secure bite. Also put some 1/8" thk rubber pad beneath the forward tilting lock bar base to limit it slightly keeping the tire from rubbing the roof wing. Bungie cords just meant to limit side rocking motion over uneven, rough road/trail.

Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack IMG_6307.JPG

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Can you measure your axle length (center-to-center) and overall length (edge of outside tires at widest point)?

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

not perfect with a tape measure but mine's 48.5" axle centers and 78" overall outside of tires

Sponsored

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
I have the Yakima HighSpeed to mount my 29er.

Rivian R1T R1S Question for people with crossbar bike rack 8876BE22-7FBC-41F1-A29D-D448C39D1C8A

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

I have the Yakima Frontloader and it works with my Large 29er e-mtn bike but I had to make some easy mods. The Rivian crossbars are rather oddly profiled when compared with common crossbars. So the front twist-lock mount has plastic jaws that I dremeled to a better matching profile for more secure bite. Also put some 1/8" thk rubber pad beneath the forward tilting lock bar base to limit it slightly keeping the tire from rubbing the roof wing. Bungie cords just meant to limit side rocking motion over uneven, rough road/trail.

IMG_6307.JPG
Hey - I don't mean to Donald Downer, BUT............this is all wrong my friend.
First off.. modifying the Frontloader terminates the warranty.
Second, the bike in question is question is overweight. Depending your bar spread, your weight limit is 30 to 40 lbs.
Lastly - I wouldn't advise using straps at anytime while in use.

By doing this, voids the Yakima warranty for the Frontloader, and if the Frontloader ejects your bike, and damages your Rivian, they will not cover any warranty repairs.

Just looking out for you! :)

RickInPC

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and more…
Occupation
Enthusiast
I have the 1up rack as others on the forum have suggested. My Pivot Trail 429 size Medium fits just fine.
PXL_20220711_030756882.jpg

PXL_20220711_030805696.jpg

PXL_20220711_030817869.jpg

So far really happy with it. Not as easy as my Thule hitch rack, but nice to have the bikes out of the way and this will work while towing.
The 1Up is great (I have two side by side) - you can (and will need to) slide the rack a little further back (which is a classic 1Up advantage) so the wheel does not hit the rear spoiler - mine are staggered so that the outside one is closer to the roof (b/c the spoiler slants in) while my second one extends out further out the back b/c of the same wheel issue. The nice thing is that this leaves the bed free and the hitch free - I do use hitch mounted 1UP carriers when I road trip b/c all the bed mounted racks kill the aerodynamics and my range suffers accordingly - so consider bed mounts for local stuff but hitch mounts if you are concerned about range.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Does anybody know if a Rocky Mounts Brass Knuckle rack will fit?

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Hey - I don't mean to Donald Downer, BUT............this is all wrong my friend.
First off.. modifying the Frontloader terminates the warranty.
Second, the bike in question is question is overweight. Depending your bar spread, your weight limit is 30 to 40 lbs.
Lastly - I wouldn't advise using straps at anytime while in use.

By doing this, voids the Yakima warranty for the Frontloader, and if the Frontloader ejects your bike, and damages your Rivian, they will not cover any warranty repairs.

Just looking out for you!
Thanks DD! :D👍

by coincidence, ordered a much sturdier 1UP hitch mount bike rack today mostly because my Ironman 4x4 Nomad 1300 "roof top" tent just arrived and its going over the bed on the Rivian bars. Of course I plan to modify the stock brackets and use other than provided hardware to mount it... just because I want to.

Oh, I will be selling a perfectly modded Frontloader mount if you'd like it for a discounted price. 🤡

Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Thanks DD! :D👍

by coincidence, ordered a much sturdier 1UP hitch mount bike rack today mostly because my Ironman 4x4 Nomad 1300 "roof top" tent just arrived and its going over the bed on the Rivian bars. Of course I plan to modify the stock brackets and use other than provided hardware to mount it... just because I want to.

Oh, I will be selling a perfectly modded Frontloader mount if you'd like it for a discounted price. 🤡
I'm good as I work for Yakima. Thanks though my friend and enjoy!!

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Reading a bunch of threads on bike racks. Why aren't people getting the Rivian Cargo Crossbars and then the Rivian Rooftop Bike Mount?

Saw a nice R1T today with a hitch mounted bike rack, not sure why people are opting for that vs the bed/roof.

Also will the Rivian bike rack work when the crossbars are installed over the bed (Rivian only seems to be showing the bike mounted over the cab)?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Reading a bunch of threads on bike racks. Why aren't people getting the Rivian Cargo Crossbars and then the Rivian Rooftop Bike Mount?

Saw a nice R1T today with a hitch mounted bike rack, not sure why people are opting for that vs the bed/roof.

Also will the Rivian bike rack work when the crossbars are installed over the bed (Rivian only seems to be showing the bike mounted over the cab)?
I would assume they owned the rack(s) prior to owning the Rivian. Why spend $800+ on cross bars + bike racks when you already have a hitch mounted rack?

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

The Rivian (Yakima) bike rack does work on the bed for some bikes…. But only short ones. My 29er is too long, according to the Rivian instructions, so that’s why I haven’t bought it.

Im still exploring what I need to do. I am leaning towards either buying the Yakima at REI (quick, hassle-free return if my bike doesn’t fit) or maybe trying the 1up.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
The Rivian (Yakima) bike rack does work on the bed for some bikes…. But only short ones. My 29er is too long, according to the Rivian instructions, so that’s why I haven’t bought it.

Im still exploring what I need to do. I am leaning towards either buying the Yakima at REI (quick, hassle-free return if my bike doesn’t fit) or maybe trying the 1up.
Thanks. I have a Trek Domane 54cm. Not sure if that will fit. Where did you find the instructions?
Sponsored