Sponsored

Question about Rivian and ChargePoint

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Hi there,

I have yet to charge our R1S on a public charger but am planning a road trip this weekend. I remember when I set up the app it asked me to 'link my account' to ChargePoint (I think). For those of you who have had your Rivian's for a while I'm wondering how this actually works in the wild. I.e. Do you need the 'ChargePoint app' separately to use a ChargePoint station? Is the Rivian app itself enough? What are the steps you go through to actually use the Rivian/ChargePoint integration once you pull up to a ChargePoint charger? Apologies if this has been answered already.
Sponsored

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Doesn't work, at least for me.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Yes, need the Chargepoint App, on iOS it's a perfectly good app.

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Yes, need the Chargepoint App, on iOS it's a perfectly good app.
So I guess my question is, what exactly did the Rivan/Chargepoint account linking step during the Rivian app setup actually do? I.e. If you need the separate ChargePoint app anyway why do they do this? Thanks in advance.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

You do not need the separate chargepoint app. You can initiate a charge within the Rivian app itself.

Reliability, however, can be spotty. I've had issues getting the charger to activate, however on two occasions I've also gotten free charging when that happens (the charge initiation times out in the app and then a minute or two later the charger starts itself).

Sponsored

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
You do not need the separate chargepoint app. You can initiate a charge within the Rivian app itself.

Reliability, however, can be spotty. I've had issues getting the charger to activate, however on two occasions I've also gotten free charging when that happens (the charge initiation times out in the app and then a minute or two later the charger starts itself).
Great thank you. Can I trouble you to describe the process for initiating the charge from the Rivian app? First EV and have never charged on a public station yet (only at home so far so no app required. :)

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

There is a charging page in the app (lightning bolt symbol at the bottom center) that brings up a map. The map will show you available chargers in your geographic area, including out of network chargers like EA (which you can't initiate through the app).

If you tap on the charger you are interested in, a panel pops up telling you the name of the charger, the distance away, its power, and how many chargers are available.

Tap the panel again and the full charger details page comes up, including pricing. You then select the charger you want and on the next page tap "Start charger". You then wait for the ChargePoint to react and it will tell you to plug into your vehicle. Plug in and then it should start to charge.

Note that you aren't required to use the Rivian app to charge. You can use the ChargePoint app if you prefer, and you'll have to use other apps or pay at the terminal for other networks like EA.

Rivian R1T R1S Question about Rivian and ChargePoint A47E0AEC-FFE1-4F51-9779-CDB9C3C4BF20
Rivian R1T R1S Question about Rivian and ChargePoint 147BA2B2-92E7-4025-83AA-5DB421AD4992

Rivian R1T R1S Question about Rivian and ChargePoint 83E7F95F-7683-4135-A7B0-D0E6C5084AE5

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
There is a charging page in the app (lightning bolt symbol at the bottom center) that brings up a map. The map will show you available chargers in your geographic area, including out of network chargers like EA (which you can't initiate through the app).

If you tap on the charger you are interested in, a panel pops up telling you the name of the charger, the distance away, its power, and how many chargers are available.

Tap the panel again and the full charger details page comes up, including pricing. You then select the charger you want and on the next page tap "Start charger". You then wait for the ChargePoint to react and it will tell you to plug into your vehicle. Plug in and then it should start to charge.

Note that you aren't required to use the Rivian app to charge. You can use the ChargePoint app if you prefer, and you'll have to use other apps or pay at the terminal for other networks like EA.

A47E0AEC-FFE1-4F51-9779-CDB9C3C4BF20.png
147BA2B2-92E7-4025-83AA-5DB421AD4992.png

83E7F95F-7683-4135-A7B0-D0E6C5084AE5.png
Solid gold. Thanks man!

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
My experience is same as @bd5400. Chargepoint app makes it seamless, you pre-load your charge card, can see station readyness/availability/charger rate, and it also links to my CP home charger.

Same for EA, with app it is way more reliable and quick and shows our other EV which has 2 years of EA charging credit.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
So I guess my question is, what exactly did the Rivan/Chargepoint account linking step during the Rivian app setup actually do? I.e. If you need the separate ChargePoint app anyway why do they do this? Thanks in advance.
Interesting mine would never link, just checking it now and it's linked, however I now get the "setup a phone key" message, one step forward, two steps back. Guessing the app had an update?

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've done some road trips but am not an expert but getting accounts setup in advance with Chargepoint and EA etc... in advance seem like a problem avoided. I've been places where the app works but the credit card doesn't plus you usually get a better rate with the app. I work at a location where with the app you get four hours free charging if you have the app before you start to pay an hourly fee. Next time I'll try the Rivian app to do this, I've never done it before.
Sponsored