Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
I had a DC charger installed when the solar was installed, it's only 15 amp but that should be plenty for my needs.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I had a DC charger installed when the solar was installed, it's only 15 amp but that should be plenty for my needs.
Tell us more about this charger. It is unlikely that it charges your car with DC at this level.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Update...

Within a day of paying the $149 deposit, I was contacted by a local company that looked at the photos I took and updated the quote... including a $250 permit cost (ouch... but not their fault). We'll see, but it looks like this company has good reviews...

In parallel, inquiring with the Guides about when I might actually be able to get a hold of the Rivian wall charger for the electrician to install. Seems like I should have it in hand prior to bringing out an electrician?

electricalquote.jpg
Uhh, the $250 is their fault if you're in Kenmore (or most places in WA, but excluding several cities including Seattle proper). WA L&I (which should be the local authority for electrical) charges $65.50 total for up to 4 new circuits on one permit, then $6.90 for each one thereafter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bac4uw

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
Uhh, the $250 is their fault if you're in Kenmore (or most places in WA, but excluding several cities including Seattle proper). WA L&I (which should be the local authority for electrical) charges $65.50 total for up to 4 new circuits on one permit, then $6.90 for each one thereafter.
Thanks -- I'll be sure to get more specific with them as I get closer to install. Having recently purchased another car from a dealer where they overcharged on the licensing fee to cover the 'potential' fee, I wondered if this might be the same sort of scenario... where they cite one charge, but then it actually costs something less and I end up paying less. Or, are they inflating the cost to cover their @$$es for the inspector call backs?

Edit: Actually, I think their quote is close to being in the ballpark. The $65.50 is for a detached garage, but reading the LNI guidelines - the cost is $99.60 for a non-detached garage / dwelling up to 1300 square feet + $31.80 for each additional 500 square feet. (our house is about 2500 square feet). Why the square footage of our house matters is beyond me...

At the end of the day, this won't make or break the deal on an $80k truck.

Last edited:

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Edit: Actually, I think their quote is close to being in the ballpark. The $65.50 is for a detached garage, but reading the LNI guidelines - the cost is $99.60 for a non-detached garage / dwelling up to 1300 square feet + $31.80 for each additional 500 square feet. (our house is about 2500 square feet). Why the square footage of our house matters is beyond me...
If the building is already wired, it doesn't. The document has all the new construction / new service pricing in it too. Look for the section "(d) Single or multifamily residential circuits only (no service inspection)."

m0resn0w

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru CrossTrek (x2), Forester, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Business Owner
I have zero electrical experience, but I was smart enough (I think) to have a 240v outlet installed on our new home in anticipation of an EV. I'm guessing it will be a fairly easy setup for me when I need to install the wall charger? Maybe not as simple as 'plug-n-play', but maybe not much more than that?
Thoughts?
TIA!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I have zero electrical experience, but I was smart enough (I think) to have a 240v outlet installed on our new home in anticipation of an EV. I'm guessing it will be a fairly easy setup for me when I need to install the wall charger? Maybe not as simple as 'plug-n-play', but maybe not much more than that?
Thoughts?
TIA!
If it is a 14-50 (most likely), you should be good to go.
Rivian R1T R1S Qmerit - Rivian Home Charger Installation Experience 1631554194852

If you have the above, you would be able to use the included charge cord and get ~16 miles per hour of charging.

If you have the above and wanted to purchase a wall mounted EVSE, you would need to know the breaker size (40A or 50A) to know what unit to purchase (32A or 40A).

m0resn0w

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru CrossTrek (x2), Forester, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Business Owner
If it is a 14-50 (most likely), you should be good to go.

If you have the above, you would be able to use the included charge cord and get ~16 miles per hour of charging.

If you have the above and wanted to purchase a wall mounted EVSE, you would need to know the breaker size (40A or 50A) to know what unit to purchase (32A or 40A).
Awesome. I'll have to take a look when I get home today.
Thanks!

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
So just a little followup on this. I just finished getting the appropriate power wired to my garage. It required new 2 gauge aluminum wire (they had to fish the wire from my basement up to the attic and over to the garage), a 100 amp circuit for the main panel, new subpanel for the garage, 60 amp circuit for the subpanel and copper wire from subpanel to the future charger. Labor, permits, inspection and supplies came to roughly $3400. They are coming back out when the charger arrives someday s00n ?

OP
OP
bac4uw

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
Thanks -- I'll be sure to get more specific with them as I get closer to install. Having recently purchased another car from a dealer where they overcharged on the licensing fee to cover the 'potential' fee, I wondered if this might be the same sort of scenario... where they cite one charge, but then it actually costs something less and I end up paying less. Or, are they inflating the cost to cover their @$$es for the inspector call backs?

At the end of the day, this won't make or break the deal on an $80k truck.
Well, Qmerit just refunded the $149 I put down on the Rivian wall charger installation back in September. I hope they just lost patience or have an automatic refund mechanism, and are not prognosticating about my likelihood of getting an R1T in the near future! ?

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 🤞
Well, Qmerit just refunded the $149 I put down on the Rivian wall charger installation back in September. I hope they just lost patience or have an automatic refund mechanism, and are not prognosticating about my likelihood of getting an R1T in the near future! ?
I experienced QMerit when I bought i Chargepoint for home. QM found me a good electrician that i anticipated will be more expensive than what i may have found on my own… but I needed the confidence that the electrician am hiring is vetted. There were minor hiccups but were handled accordingly.

Bottom line: you need to research what you really want (EVSE requirements, etc.) without relying on the installer to “tell” you. Many electricians (while qualified) do not really yet have enough experience in EVSE specs and ins/outs. While I don’t yet have my R1T, I was able ro link my home charger to Rivian network because Chargepoint is a Rivian partner. I don’t have my R1T yet but i am ready for it.
Sponsored