Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Tis the beauty of having an electrician install it. Most work for companies that do know how to, and take care of it for you (especially if they are referred to you by the vehicle or home charger manufacturer).
so I called a reputable electrician in the area and apparently they are giving out work to others because they are so busy. It looks like I am going to have to ask a few more questions. I want it done the right way with permits if that’s required

maybe I just cancel and wait for Rivian to send something out to like the OP here
Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
You're totally right -- I even entertained doing it myself, but my wife put the kabosh on that. I otherwise don't know any certified electricians, but it might be good to get another quote. My hunch is that this bid is competitive in the Seattle market.
That's actually not too bad a price. I paid $500 for a NEMA 14-50 to be installed a few years ago for my Model 3. I just used Yelp to sniff out some good electricians, so maybe that's something you could do to get 2nd opinions?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Not a bad price. The cost of wire these days is crazy, 25 ft of 6/3 romex is selling for 123 dollars.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Not a bad price. The cost of wire these days is crazy, 25 ft of 6/3 romex is selling for 123 dollars.
Can't use 6/3 Romex to wire a 48A EVSE. NM-B is rated at a conductor temperature of 90°C dry, but its ampacity is limited to 60°C which is 55A for 6/3

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

You're totally right -- I even entertained doing it myself, but my wife put the kabosh on that. I otherwise don't know any certified electricians, but it might be good to get another quote. My hunch is that this bid is competitive in the Seattle market.
Your quote is extremely competitive in the Seattle market.

Also, I'm being nit picky here but, in Oregon and Washington, you have to have a license from the state to do electrical work. The license isn't easy to get either. Unless you are the home owner, in which case you are entitled to do your own work and fuck up your house as little or as much as you like.

I've seen homeowner electrical work and was amazed that the house was still standing. My son bought a house in Shoreline WA without an inspection. I've completely rewired the basement/garage, the bathroom, added new circuits in the kitchen, added can lights and ceiling fans, and did a 200 amp service upgrade. The stuff I pulled out that the homeowner had hacked in was typical of what you'd see where the person thought they knew what they were doing, but really didn't.

The main reason for the new service was so he could install a heat pump. I wired up the disconnect and told him how to finish it from the disconnect to the unit. When in inspector came to look at it, he ask my daughter in law who did the work? She said her husband did it. Inspector asked if her husband was an electrician. The panel is pretty nice looking if I do say so myself.

Last edited:

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Your quote is extremely competitive in the Seattle market.
FWIW I got the same quote through Qmerit over on the Kitsap Peninsula.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I had another electrician come out today. Felt much more comfortable with this guy and his company. We are going to have to rewire from main to subpanel and get 100 amps into the garage. I’m sure it will be a couple grand at least ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Tis the beauty of having an electrician install it. Most work for companies that do know how to, and take care of it for you (especially if they are referred to you by the vehicle or home charger manufacturer).
Also worth noting whoever holds the permit also has all the liability.

OP
OP
bac4uw

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
Update...

Within a day of paying the $149 deposit, I was contacted by a local company that looked at the photos I took and updated the quote... including a $250 permit cost (ouch... but not their fault). We'll see, but it looks like this company has good reviews...

In parallel, inquiring with the Guides about when I might actually be able to get a hold of the Rivian wall charger for the electrician to install. Seems like I should have it in hand prior to bringing out an electrician?

Rivian R1T R1S Qmerit - Rivian Home Charger Installation Experience electricalquote

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
I received an email from Rivian today with a link to get a quote from Qmerit for installation of the Rivian home charging station. The link took me through a multi-step survey and had me upload photos of my electrical panel, proposed charging station location, and other aspects about electrical load in our home. At the end of the survey, I received a quote for $699 with $149 due to initiate the next step. Given other recent experiences with electricians in our area, I thought the quote was reasonable. In reality, I think the bill will be much higher once the electrician carefully inspects my old loaded panel and all of the various loads potentially drawing power from it!!! ?⚡

I am prepping myself for... 'yeah, we're going to need to upgrade your service, install a new panel, and rewire your whole house'. Either way, feels like progress.

RivianChargerInstallQuote.png
Please ask to make sure the new panel and wiring, and service will handle at least 1.21gW. ? ?

Progress!!! ?

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Update...

Within a day of paying the $149 deposit, I was contacted by a local company that looked at the photos I took and updated the quote... including a $250 permit cost (ouch... but not their fault). We'll see, but it looks like this company has good reviews...

In parallel, inquiring with the Guides about when I might actually be able to get a hold of the Rivian wall charger for the electrician to install. Seems like I should have it in hand prior to bringing out an electrician?

electricalquote.jpg
Also, will your circuits be duelling with Pistols or...?!? ???

OP
OP
bac4uw

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biostatistician
Also, will your circuits be duelling with Pistols or...?!? ???
Seriously! When I look at my panel and all of the loads on it, I might think twice before simultaneously running both the washer and dryer, cooking dinner in the oven, while sitting in the hot tub and charging the Rivian. Joking aside, I don't physically have any more space in my panel. The electrician will have to take out some breakers and put in splitters to handle the additional circuit.

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Solutions Architect / Developer
Clubs

Can't use 6/3 Romex to wire a 48A EVSE. NM-B is rated at a conductor temperature of 90°C dry, but its ampacity is limited to 60°C which is 55A for 6/3
What kind of wiring would you suggest? I just bought 75 feet of this 6/3 romex stuff, ran it and installed charger for my RAV4 EV - which will be fine. But I didn't run the other line for the Rivian yet. My line is about 30 feet (hince why I bought 75 feet for 2 lines). I've got a big enough box for both - brand new build and made sure of that.

OP
OP
bac4uw

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biostatistician
From the Guides... I am going to move forward and see how the back and forth between Qmerit and Rivian goes.

We do not have any updates related to the wall chargers shipping. Those chargers will need to be hardwired into the home. The Qmerit crew can begin the process, but will not be able to finish until the charger is delivered. Qmerit will work with Rivian to help schedule the process. I'll update you as soon as I get any additional shipping information.

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
What kind of wiring would you suggest? I just bought 75 feet of this 6/3 romex stuff, ran it and installed charger for my RAV4 EV - which will be fine. But I didn't run the other line for the Rivian yet. My line is about 30 feet (hince why I bought 75 feet for 2 lines). I've got a big enough box for both - brand new build and made sure of that.
I ran 6/3 THHN wire which is rated for 75 amps at 90C.
Sponsored