First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
I received an email from Rivian today with a link to get a quote from Qmerit for installation of the Rivian home charging station. The link took me through a multi-step survey and had me upload photos of my electrical panel, proposed charging station location, and other aspects about electrical load in our home. At the end of the survey, I received a quote for $699 with $149 due to initiate the next step. Given other recent experiences with electricians in our area, I thought the quote was reasonable. In reality, I think the bill will be much higher once the electrician carefully inspects my old loaded panel and all of the various loads potentially drawing power from it!!! ?⚡

I am prepping myself for... 'yeah, we're going to need to upgrade your service, install a new panel, and rewire your whole house'. Either way, feels like progress.

Rivian R1T R1S Qmerit - Rivian Home Charger Installation Experience RivianChargerInstallQuote
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I received an email from Rivian today with a link to get a quote from Qmerit for installation of the Rivian home charging station. The link took me through a multi-step survey and had me upload photos of my electrical panel, proposed charging station location, and other aspects about electrical load in our home. At the end of the survey, I received a quote for $699 with $149 due to initiate the next step. Given other recent experiences with electricians in our area, I thought the quote was reasonable. In reality, I think the bill will be much higher once the electrician carefully inspects my old loaded panel and all of the various loads potentially drawing power from it!!! ?⚡

I am prepping myself for... 'yeah, we're going to need to upgrade your service, install a new panel, and rewire your whole house'. Either way, feels like progress.
RivianChargerInstallQuote.png
Hi Bryan, thanks for sharing. Just wondering, do you have a delivery date yet?

OP
OP
bac4uw

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biostatistician
Hi Bryan, thanks for sharing. Just wondering, do you have a delivery date yet?
Mid to late November was the last I heard, which was pushed back from October.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Electrician is doing it for $250 for me. All it really needs is a few feet of 6 gauge copper wire and new circuit breaker installed into the subpanel.

OP
OP
bac4uw

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biostatistician
Electrician is doing it for $250 for me. All it really needs is a few feet of 6 gauge copper wire and new circuit breaker installed into the subpanel.
You're totally right -- I even entertained doing it myself, but my wife put the kabosh on that. I otherwise don't know any certified electricians, but it might be good to get another quote. My hunch is that this bid is competitive in the Seattle market.

Sponsored

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

You're totally right -- I even entertained doing it myself, but my wife put the kabosh on that. I otherwise don't know any certified electricians, but it might be good to get another quote. My hunch is that this bid is competitive in the Seattle market.
I'm in Seattle too but didn't get in on the launch edition reservations. So I'm waiting for my R1S until this time next year most likely. I would love to hear how you like the vehicle once you take ownership.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t do it myself. I will also add that I don’t have enough power to use the Rivian charger to its fullest abilities. I’m going to have to down rate it to 40 amps. If I wanted to get a full 100 amps to my garage it would cost a lot more money as I would have to rewire everything from the main to the subpanel. Not ready to do that yet

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I just did two at my house in Seattle. Quotes varied quite a bit, but outside of Seattle proper (technically unincorporated KC):
$100 to pull the permit.
$695 to install the EVSE for a 60 amp hardwire. Length of run that you need makes a different. I had to run my interior one to the opposite wall on the garage.
+$395 if you need to reconfigure the panel.

Edit: also, plan ahead. As with everything else, it seems like electricians are busy.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Yup, plan well in advance. When I did my Tesla hardwired charger, it wasn't just a matter of wrangling an electrician, but then getting the permits submitted, work done, inspected, and then all the shit the inspector then found that the last home owner did without a permit (thanks jackass) we had to fix before he would fully sign off on it all.

It sounds like a lot of hoops, and I did ask a couple of friends in the insurance industry about having an electrician (certified) doing it under the table. Their response was, "If your house catches fire and it is even remotely related to the electrical panel, you are screwed."

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
So you need a permit to add a circuit to an established subpanel??

Sponsored

OP
OP
bac4uw

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biostatistician
It probably depends a bit on your county, but in my county the answer is 'yes'. I had a contractor install electric floor heating in a bathroom a couple of years ago and we pulled a permit. I could be wrong, but I don't think the person doing the work needs to be a certified electrician though. If the inspector inspects the work and signs off on the permit, then I think you are in the clear. Note: our inspector failed our electrician's work three times before finally signing off on the floor heating system. It's worth at least pulling the permit to have the work blessed!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
In every jurisdiction I’ve lived, yes.

Homeowners typically can pull permits and are often not required to be licensed to work on their own home, however.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
It probably depends a bit on your county, but in my county the answer is 'yes'. I had a contractor install electric floor heating in a bathroom a couple of years ago and we pulled a permit. I could be wrong, but I don't think the person doing the work needs to be a certified electrician though. If the inspector inspects the work and signs off on the permit, then I think you are in the clear. Note: our inspector failed our electrician's work three times before finally signing off on the floor heating system. It's worth at least pulling the permit to have the work blessed!
i don’t even know how to “pull a permit”. I’m the equivalent of a maintenance illiterate ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Until quite recently, where I live you needed to get a permit from the city to change out a lightswitch. ?

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
i don’t even know how to “pull a permit”. I’m the equivalent of a maintenance illiterate ?
Tis the beauty of having an electrician install it. Most work for companies that do know how to, and take care of it for you (especially if they are referred to you by the vehicle or home charger manufacturer).
Sponsored