Sponsored

Q for owners: does 12V outlet stay on at all times?

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Hyperbolic much?
Sadly, I think not. Technical people will manage the issue, with some inconvenience. But plenty of non-technical buyers will not fully comprehend the parasitic loss issues which will lead to many unsatisfactory experiences. Not to mention the cumulative energy waste as more are sold.

It’s Rivian’s Achilles heel, especially since other manufacturers have managed to develop BEV electrical architectures without such losses.
Sponsored

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
If you leave the inverter on it leaves the 12v system on too. I do this for my fridge in the front. The truck will not sleep with the inverter on and this occasionally causes issues where the lane centering will stop working. The software must have separate threads that need to reset every once in a while. That's why it needs to "sleep".

Heatth

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director of Ops and Tech
If you leave the inverter on it leaves the 12v system on too. I do this for my fridge in the front. The truck will not sleep with the inverter on and this occasionally causes issues where the lane centering will stop working. The software must have separate threads that need to reset every once in a while. That's why it needs to "sleep".
sorry for the necropost, but man, I dug and dug for this info on how to keep 12v on, feel like should be pinned somewhere. Having outlets on leaves the 12v on... and apparently causes issues with lane centering? My lane assist is off anyways since always yelling at me (and often wrong)

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

sorry for the necropost, but man, I dug and dug for this info on how to keep 12v on, feel like should be pinned somewhere. Having outlets on leaves the 12v on... and apparently causes issues with lane centering? My lane assist is off anyways since always yelling at me (and often wrong)
You can also use Camp mode, if you use ‘Always On‘ the 12V and USB outlets stay on. This has been my go to since that was added via OTA.

Also as long as the car is on the 12V is on, only turns off when the truck goes off.

Heatth

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director of Ops and Tech
You can also use Camp mode, if you use ‘Always On‘ the 12V and USB outlets stay on. This has been my go to since that was added via OTA.

Also as long as the car is on the 12V is on, only turns off when the truck goes off.
I didn't even notice there was a separate for that, geez, now I feel dumb, lol, the OTA must have been before my delivery. Thanks! This is even better, glad I necro'd this