Sponsored

Put in a new reservation for an R1S today...

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

If you waited this long for R1S reservation, why not wait for R2S??? In all likelihood, there's probably 6~12 months a part.

OP
OP
Dirty_B

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
If you waited this long for R1S reservation, why not wait for R2S??? In all likelihood, there's probably 6~12 months a part.
Wait.... What? R2S

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
R2S - 2025 at the earliest.

Sponsored

Bruins06

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper
What took you so long to put an R1S reservation? I added an R1S 8 months ago after my first mile drive.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Wait.... What? R2S
The R2S is not the followup to the R1S... It's a different class of vehicle altogether... Smaller, slower, cheaper...

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The R2S is not the followup to the R1S... It's a different class of vehicle altogether... Smaller, slower, cheaper...
That's not a bad thing is it? Its sort of like how Model 3 and Y are to S and X at half the cost. Yes its bit smaller and slower but not much. Certainly more accessible by larger customer base.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
That's not a bad thing is it? Its sort of like how Model 3 and Y are to S and X at half the cost. Yes its bit smaller and slower but not much. Certainly more accessible by larger customer base.
Absolutely not a bad thing. Your recommendation to just "wait for the R2S" made it seem like you thought the R2S would be an upgrade to the R1S. I was simply pointing out that the R1 line is the halo product, while the R2 is the mass-market value proposition. From my perspective, I don't think that someone who is in the market for an R1S would see the R2S as a direct competitor and, likely, wouldn't be satisfied with its performance if the R1S is the benchmark.

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I put my reservation in for an R1S a few months back so I'll be waiting quite a while as well, but it'll be worth it.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Absolutely not a bad thing. Your recommendation to just "wait for the R2S" made it seem like you thought the R2S would be an upgrade to the R1S. I was simply pointing out that the R1 line is the halo product, while the R2 is the mass-market value proposition. From my perspective, I don't think that someone who is in the market for an R1S would see the R2S as a direct competitor and, likely, wouldn't be satisfied with its performance if the R1S is the benchmark.
If anyone got that impression that R2S is an upgrade to R1S in a traditional sense, then they have not followed or spent anytime exploring Rivian as a company. Sorry for the confusion. It was meant that R1S is lagging so badly from their schedule, that by the time any new order placed now is fulfilled, it will be close to R2S deliveries from GA plant.

To say for someone who is looking for R1S would not consider or be satisfied with R2S performance, is premature. I believe there are many R1S reservation holder (pre and post March price hike) would welcome 5-seater, near half the price R2 option, even if that means bit smaller and less powerful.

The R2 architecture will be more advanced than R1, simply because its a clean sheet currently being designed versus R1 - including lessons learned from R1. So getting back to your original comment, if you look at it from technology standpoint, it will be an upgrade to the R1S. It just wont have as much bells and whistles features or power. Probably will have similar range.

OP
OP
Dirty_B

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
What took you so long to put an R1S reservation? I added an R1S 8 months ago after my first mile drive.
I put a Res on an R1S back in Nov 2018. CS said I could get a T if I wanted in stead in Apr. So got the T... And I was waiting to see how long it would take and what production Ss would looked like. So now that they e been finalized so to speak, and I like them, I put in a Res for an S again. So what took you so long that you did it 3yrs after I did? 😂

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just a random thought on future purchases. If people are looking to save a little money may want to consider going with the small pack. Rumor is it will be using an LFP chemistry which has a higher cycle life, less impact to the environment, and more stable when looking at fires. It also can be charged at higher levels than the current chemistries. The large pack only being charged at 80% is 252 miles of range, the small pack charged at 100% is rated at 260 miles of range.

I have not seen the performance numbers but I’m sure they will be less than current configuration but at current prices, a dual motor, explore package R1S with small battery configured at 72,500, a similar configured R1T 67,500 each of these are still a ton of truck for the money.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I put in a post price-hike order for an R1S as well, figured might as well get in line in case I ended up deciding the SUV is a better fit than the truck - although at this point I don't see that happening at all. Also, my wife would like an ID. Buzz so that would be the 7 seater for when we needed to haul the grandkids around.
Sponsored