Purchased from the shop only to find out its not available

Morrow_19

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram 3500HD
Hey folks, looking to the infinite wisdom of the internet/ forum for suggestions here.

My R1T journey has been interesting... first I had a friend offer to sell me his R1T in the exact spec I would prefer. He had purchased a Cyber Truck and was willing to move his R1T. I sold my truck (Daily Driver), picked up a cashiers check, bound insurance etc. The night before the purchase he messaged me that he can not sell the R1T. He loves this truck to much to let it go.

As much of a bummer as that was I looked to the demo offering for a second choice. Found a Demo that I liked and reserved it... a few days go by and I start the process with the guide. During this time I also noticed the Lease offerings were really attractive on the 23s and had the guide look at a 23 that was showing in the shop. Turns out that 23 was a LE with all the options (minus tonneau) that I was looking for an it was still available and local to me.... PERFECT! Had the guide release the reserve on the demo and moved forward with the lease on the 23. I completed all the steps, had insurance transferred from the truck I was buying from my friend to the new VIN on the 23 lease. All Steps were cleared and status shows ready for purchase with deliver scheduling pending. Purchase task show "prepare for what's next"

Couple days go by with nothing back so I contacted the guide yesterday... he had to get back to me to schedule pick up from my local SC. Turns out the vehicle is in Hawaii (im in SoCal). He said that vehicle is not eligible for purchase and the team will need to find me a new VIN to replace it.

Looking in the configurator the prices are all higher and none of them offer the same build as the truck that I purchased. I have asked the guide if it would be possible to ship the truck from Hawaii to SoCal and provide a loaner during the transition and he said no. I also asked if they would consider a similar 23 (for the lease deal) price adjust to match and swap wheels so its similar to my purchase (wouldnt be an LE). I also suggested a 24 with a wheel swap, match the money factor and terms on the 23 that I purchased. Im pending an answer back on this.

Has anyone been in this situation before? Im a bit bummed to say the least, I released the Demo purchase just for this exact spec on the lease. Demo is not available to fall back on now so Im stuck looking at new models or go to the used market for a purchase. I really liked the idea of the lease with the exceptionally low money factor and great terms. It made sense to me vs paying cash for the Used purchase.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

What is your preferred config?

Sounds like you have been through somewhat of a roller coaster, not surprised they wouldn't ship a truck from Hawaii, also surprised an inventory truck was even there to begin with.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
If it truly fits what you want, why don’t you set up shipping to SoCal then take delivery in Hawall and have it shipped home. I’m guessing you’ll need to rent something for a month or so.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian demos say where you need to pick up from, don't they? They absolutely are not going to ship from Hawaii to the mainland.

OP
OP

Morrow_19

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram 3500HD
What is your preferred config?

Sounds like you have been through somewhat of a roller coaster, not surprised they wouldn't ship a truck from Hawaii, also surprised an inventory truck was even there to begin with.
Its been a little bit of a journey. Overall not a bad experience, just a roller coaster and Im hoping to find a good solution in the end. The steps for the purchase were super easy and communication with Rivian has been really good.

The truck I have on purchase is a 23 LA Silver Quad (LE), 20" AT, Ocean Coast Interior. im really open to LA Silver, Limestone (1st Choice), 20" AT Standard or Black and Ocean Coast Interior (really feel in love with that look). Bonus points for a powered tonneau

Sponsored

OP
OP

Morrow_19

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram 3500HD
Rivian demos say where you need to pick up from, don't they? They absolutely are not going to ship from Hawaii to the mainland.
Correct. the demo I had reserved was local but I made the choice to release it for the 23 lease that I was told was local. That deal made more sense but I found out later it was in Hawaii

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Correct. the demo I had reserved was local but I made the choice to release it for the 23 lease that I was told was local. That deal made more sense but I found out later it was in Hawaii
If it said it was available to you in your zip code, I'd definitely push back about it. If the guide told you about it but didn't check beforehand that it was available to you, that's a different story.

Rivian might consider Hawai'i zip codes to be local to so-cal when doing a search, but if the vehicle has already transited to hawai'i, it should not show up for mainland customers. What probably happened was a hawai'i customer rejected the delivery for some reason after it was already shipped there and they never updated their system.

OP
OP

Morrow_19

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram 3500HD
If it said it was available to you in your zip code, I'd definitely push back about it. If the guide told you about it but didn't check beforehand that it was available to you, that's a different story.

Rivian might consider Hawai'i zip codes to be local to so-cal when doing a search, but if the vehicle has already transited to hawai'i, it should not show up for mainland customers. What probably happened was a hawai'i customer rejected the delivery for some reason after it was already shipped there and they never updated their system.
Thats likely what happened. When I asked about this particular truck the guide confirmed availability and that it was in the Eastvalle SC (local to me). That is when I released the Demo and confirmed all the steps for this purchase. Im confident they can find a solution and they seem to be very helpful to this point. Its a first for me with a purchase so I was not sure if anyone else had a similar situation and what the resolve was.

I appreciation the feedback from everyone. Looking forward to starting the ownership. I did a demo a few weeks ago and was hooked.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Its been a little bit of a journey. Overall not a bad experience, just a roller coaster and Im hoping to find a good solution in the end. The steps for the purchase were super easy and communication with Rivian has been really good.

The truck I have on purchase is a 23 LA Silver Quad (LE), 20" AT, Ocean Coast Interior. im really open to LA Silver, Limestone (1st Choice), 20" AT Standard or Black and Ocean Coast Interior (really feel in love with that look). Bonus points for a powered tonneau
Understood. Its going to hard to match the lease offers they had on the 23 QM, probably not many QM left to begin with. Maybe you can get a paint or wheel upgrade on a DM if you don't have your heart set on a QM.

Best of luck. The truck is going to be awesome no matter what you choose.

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Rivian might consider Hawai'i zip codes to be local to so-cal
I am not sure the Rivian software is that smart. I reserved an R1T that was “local” to my zip and it turns out it is in San Francisco.
So much for local.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I am not sure the Rivian software is that smart. I reserved an R1T that was “local” to my zip and it turns out it is in San Francisco.
So much for local.
If it were end-of-quarter stuff, I think they did funky things with their inventory under the guise of potentially being able to sell that vehicle to someone in your area before the end of quarter. Could also be what happened to the OP, just that their decision making was "not that smart"

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
If it were end-of-quarter stuff, I think they did funky things with their inventory under the guise of potentially being able to sell that vehicle to someone in your area before the end of quarter. Could also be what happened to the OP, just that their decision making was "not that smart"
I reserved and immediately got a delivery date of less than a week, that day was almost a week ago. I found out Monday it was in CA and was shipped on Friday. I found out today it is tagged for shipping and is still sitting in CA. Ian exploring other options.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
I confirmed a shop truck 2 weeks ago. After never hearing anything, I reached out and was basically told the truck didn’t exist. Still in a holding pattern. So, that’s also something to consider. Just bc it’s in the shop doesn’t always mean that it exists either.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
Guess I got lucky. Configured an R1T and the web site said maybe there is something available that’s close and showed them to us. We found one and got a text from our “local” delivery center asking us if we wanted to pick it up in three days. Worked out great

Last edited:

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

That's a unique situation for sure and Rivian does need to do better with the communication! I would be equally, possibly more frustrated, than what you are. It's unacceptable.

With that said, I would choose a demo model or better yet check the used market. A lot of used examples with low miles available for way under current MSRP.
Sponsored