Sponsored

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Have both a Tesla wall connectors with the NACS plug and one with a j1772. Both 48 amp chargers. Don’t have a Rivian yet but a plug in hybrid uses the j1772 tesla wall connector and also a Tesla Model 3. Reason I went this route is they load share. If 2 cars are charging at full 48 amps that is a lot of draw on my 200 amp service on rare occasions. Central air, coupled with electric ovens and electric dryer and other electric loads I feel by my calcs I would push up on the 80% of my 200 amp service. So have the chargers load sharing 70 amps. One at 48 and the other at 22 amps. As soon as the lead charger ramps down the other charger will ramp up in amperage.
Bought the j1772 tesla wall connector (black) for $525 and the NACS wall connector (white) for $350.

Rivian R1T R1S PSA!  Rivian doesn't recommend using a Tesla adapter with Rivian Wall Charger... it melted my pin 4300ABE1-5A29-4942-8130-E07E6EF1E217
Rivian R1T R1S PSA!  Rivian doesn't recommend using a Tesla adapter with Rivian Wall Charger... it melted my pin B68DD6FA-BFB3-4396-A6D4-D7B21FFCD05B
Rivian R1T R1S PSA!  Rivian doesn't recommend using a Tesla adapter with Rivian Wall Charger... it melted my pin 38851DE0-66CD-43AF-803F-70EB9E9BC96D
Sponsored

Last edited:

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
I'm planning ordering a Model Y LR after the dust settles in March on EV Tax credit. Will get their gen 3 wall charger and then remove the Rivian wall charger from my order. Don't think Tesla wall charger has any issue charging other vehicles with j1772 adapter......

rmn_roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
If Rivian won’t sell you the J1772 connector itself, you could just buy a generic one. The Rivian one isn’t special. Just needs to be rated for 48A. Not as common as the 32A version but they’re available.

Looks like the adapter certainly developed too much resistance and burned up the line 1 pin. Weird.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Gee.. what a surprise.. no service parts available. Rivian needs to get their $hit together and start making parts available to owners.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Just as a data point, no issues at all using my Gen 2 Tesla Charger (rated for 80A) and an 80A TeslaTap to charge my previous Taycan @19kW and my Rivian @11.5kW.

Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Proves the point that we really need a standard here. ICE unleaded gas handles and holes on area are standard sizes. Electric should be too

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I have been charging a Model X on my Rivian wall connector for about seven months now without a problem. At the time, the Tesla wall connector maxed out at 18ft, so I was happy to switch to the Rivian with its 25ft cable.

Newer Tesla wall connectors come with a 24ft cable so if you’re trying to reach across parking spots it’s much better than before, but the one foot difference between the Tesla and the Rivian may still matter in some cases.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Proves the point that we really need a standard here. ICE unleaded gas handles and holes on area are standard sizes. Electric should be too
Huh? What? J1772 is an international standard which strictly defines "hole" size, among other things. One of the key features of an international standard is protection of the intellectual property, so that in order to advertise your product as "J1772 compatible" you need to not only comply with the standard but also get approval of the standards body. If there's any question as to whether this is a problem on the Rivian end or the Tesla end, the first place I would check is the Tesla end, since they don't seem to be all in on the J1772 standard.

Tejkalra

First Name
Tejinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Have been using chargepoint flex at home for both rivian and tesla. Been using it for kia ev6 and tesla before. No issues.

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Jeep Wrangler, C6 Corvette Z06, R1S
I would have thought so too. The Rivian Charger has had hundreds of hours of charging on the Rivian, e-Tron, and Bolt with no issues. Folks on Tesla forums have reported the same happening to them at J1772 chargers.
weird, we've been charging our 2020 Y with a chargepoint charger and J1772 Tesla adapter for over 2 years now with no issues.

Reactions: pdq

Sponsored

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
Have both a Tesla wall connectors with the NACS plug and one with a j1772. Both 48 amp chargers. Don’t have a Rivian yet but a plug in hybrid uses the j1772 tesla wall connector and also a Tesla Model 3. Reason I went this route is they load share. If 2 cars are charging at full 48 amps that is a lot of draw on my 200 amp service on rare occasions. Central air, coupled with electric ovens and electric dryer and other electric loads I feel by my calcs I would push up on the 80% of my 200 amp service. So have the chargers load sharing 70 amps. One at 48 and the other at 22 amps. As soon as the lead charger ramps down the other charger will ramp up in amperage.
Bought the j1772 tesla wall connector (black) for $525 and the NACS wall connector (white) for $350.

4300ABE1-5A29-4942-8130-E07E6EF1E217.jpeg
B68DD6FA-BFB3-4396-A6D4-D7B21FFCD05B.jpeg
38851DE0-66CD-43AF-803F-70EB9E9BC96D.jpeg
This is the exact setup I have at home and for the same reasons. I have the two chargers sharing a 60a circuit out of my 200a of service. The load balancing works like a charm.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
This is weird, I'm going to have to take my adapter off the Tesla J1772 wall connector I have and make sure it's OK. We bought two older Gen 2 wall connectors (with simple load sharing) so we could charge two vehicles at once on a single circuit.

Since we still have the Tesla, I just bought an extra J1772 adapter and taped it onto the end. We're planning on replacing the Tesla with an R1S this year, so hopefully it's moot soon.
That's the reverse of what happened here. This guy converted the male plug on his Rivian (J1772) charger to fit into his Tesla. What you've done is the other way around.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
That's the reverse of what happened here. This guy converted the male plug on his Rivian (J1772) charger to fit into his Tesla. What you've done is the other way around.
No, it isn't. Read it again.

I have Tesla wall connectors with J1772 ends on them. It's a gen2 they were selling at discounted rates at the end of 2021, so I grabbed two of them to load share my single 50A connection.

Once we get our R1S later this year, I'll probably never own a Tesla again, so I wanted to plan ahead. This setup was also just about the cheapest way I could get 2 connections in my garage, especially since the cables are quite close to the charge port on both vehicles (vs a dual-cable connector).

I've had a J1772 adapter taped onto the end since I installed them for our Model S, but I never remove it. Hopefully I don't find any issues. One thing that might be in my favor is mine are limited to 40A, not 48A like a lot of wall connectors.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
ok. my bad. I was confused by your reference to "J1772 adapters" on a Tesla charger (repeated again). Did Tesla ever build car that "wants" J1772? If not, why did they even make this charger?

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
ok. my bad. I was confused by your reference to "J1772 adapters" on a Tesla charger (repeated again). Did Tesla ever build car that "wants" J1772? If not, why did they even make this charger?
Tesla has never made a J1772 compatible vehicle. As to why they make it (they currently sell a gen 3 version of their J1772 EVSE now), maybe because they can make money at it? Also, these Tesla EVSEs have the nice feature that you can share a single circuit among up to six Tesla EVSEs. In a multi EV household, you could have two Tesla EVSEs, one with a Tesla connector, one with a J1772, both load sharing a single breaker.

As more and more families buy EVs, being able to share a single circuit among EVSEs becomes more and more important. We are a three EV family now, 2 Tesla, one Rivian, but we have a 400A panel. If we only had a 200A or smaller panel, load sharing would be necessary.
Sponsored