PSA on Loose Underbody Shield Bolts

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Just a heads up for anyone that is interested. I've read several accounts now online about people finding all kinds of loose bolts on the underbody shield of the R1T. I had a chance to check mine this weekend, and I'm glad I did. Probably 75% needed tightening. I found 2 that were completely missing and 3 others that were just about to fall out. Checked everything with a socket set as well as the Torx type screws along the wheel wells. Also found a few missing plastic snap on fasteners in the wheel wells. Was able to find replacements for everything I needed at ACE hardware (who has an awesome selection of automotive screws, btw).

I asked a buddy of mine with an R1T that does not have the underbody shield to check his, and he said everything looked tight.... so maybe this issue is isolated to the shield. Anyway, just a PSA for anyone that wants to check. And sorry if this has been posted before. I searched but did not see anything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Do you feel like it’s worth individually pulling them all out and adding some lock tite and re- torque-ing?
The thought crossed my mind while I was tightening them. I just didn't have the motivation and only had a small tube of loctite on hand. I will probably just re check everything in a couple thousand miles and see if they have worked lose again. If so, I probably will.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Just a heads up for anyone that is interested. I've read several accounts now online about people finding all kinds of loose bolts on the underbody shield of the R1T. I had a chance to check mine this weekend, and I'm glad I did. Probably 75% needed tightening. I found 2 that were completely missing and 3 others that were just about to fall out. Checked everything with a socket set as well as the Torx type screws along the wheel wells. Also found a few missing plastic snap on fasteners in the wheel wells. Was able to find replacements for everything I needed at ACE hardware (who has an awesome selection of automotive screws, btw).

I asked a buddy of mine with an R1T that does not have the underbody shield to check his, and he said everything looked tight.... so maybe this issue is isolated to the shield. Anyway, just a PSA for anyone that wants to check. And sorry if this has been posted before. I searched but did not see anything.
Thanks for the info. Please let Rivian know if you have not done so already. Hopefully your report will nudge them to improve that part of their manufacturing process.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Yes, I had two backed out, one that was cross threaded, and three finger loose. This is without the shield upgrade. I let Rivian know so they can fix the cross threaded one.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired

I have the shield and checked. Pleased to say, no problems. So far, pretty lucky; actually came with the spare tire (22") and equipment installed.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Any of the shield bolts have witness marks?

Sponsored

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
OP, what was the VIN range of your R1T with all the loose/missing bolts?

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Just got out from under my R1T. I found 1 missing plastic clip on the front inner fender. Most M6 bolts and various sized Torx bolts were snug to loose, only a handful were tight. I retightened everything then noticed the middle side shield on each side would rattle when tapped. I put a bead of silicone seal the length on the inboard edge to prevent vibration.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

That is my question as well. Especially bolts that are flat out missing.
THe missing bolts could have just backed off and fell out prior to you checking. Seems like if they are being tightened at the factory but coming loose, they either need to up their torque specs or add some locktite
Sponsored