Sponsored

PSA: Explore trim does not come with portable BT speaker

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

FYI, just found our from CS that Explore trim does not come with the portable speaker. They did not know if it has the slot to store and charge the speaker nor did they know if the speaker itself might be available in the future in the gear shop. It still does come with the flashlight though.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
They still have a while, but these sort of details should be clearly listed on the website before delivery of non-LE vehicles begin.

But if it comes with an extra storage drawer where the BT speaker would go, it could be viewed as a benefit of the explore trim. I suspect I will use the portable speaker exactly 1 time (to confirm that it works) and I bet I am not alone.

Last edited:

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
Along the same lines...I asked about Gear Guard the other day. I knew the gear guard cable wasn't included in the Explore trim, but CS confirmed nothing Gear Guard related was included. No Gear Guard Gary (or ever we're calling him), no truck bed camera. Maybe others knew this, but I couldn't find anything definitive one the website.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It’s all over the website

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I am sure I could use some of that $5,500 difference to get a $15 speaker from Amazon if I needed one but it looks like there could be a lot more. I feel like we need a designated thread to list all of the differences people note.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I am sure I could use some of that $5,500 difference to get a $15 speaker from Amazon if I needed one but it looks like there could be a lot more. I feel like we need a designated thread to list all of the differences people note.
Its lame that we even need to do this. Give us the details Rivian. Figure it out, finalize it, give clearer information instead of making customers guess, speculate, and dig around. R1T is in production and being delivered to customers and we have no info about all kinds of things like the portable speaker, off road package (what is it exactly, how much does it weigh, range hit), what is the Explore trim interior materials for the dash (its not wood, thats for sure), what does the manual tonneau cover look like, how does it work, etc.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
The only two features in the Adventure that convinced me to upgrade from the Explore package were the ventilated front seats and the dark headliner. Audio system (base vs. Meridian) could become a third feature once we get more information, though frankly, they're not going to publish the detailed wiring schematics I'd like to see before making that choice.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Seems like the big misses are the gear guard, ventilated seats, passenger lumbar adjustment and the compass yellow accents.
The other differences are just upgrades.
Manual vs powered tonneau, standard vs Meridian audio [surprised the BT speaker isnt included since the BT speaker isn't from Meridian... maybe the website needs to specify this], matte black vs wood finishes, performance vs patterned stitching, textile vs microfiber headliner and recycled floor mats vs the chilewich ones.

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Explore trim does not come with portable BT speaker SmartSelect_20211119-074431_Samsung Notes

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
The only two features in the Adventure that convinced me to upgrade from the Explore package were the ventilated front seats and the dark headliner. Audio system (base vs. Meridian) could become a third feature once we get more information, though frankly, they're not going to publish the detailed wiring schematics I'd like to see before making that choice.
The meridian is INSANE. I experience during the NY test drive. I have never experienced something like that.

Being the guy who drives a 10 year old Honda CRV with a two inch lift and doesn't care about sound, there is subjective value to the system.

Through the screen you can drag and drop the focus on (and cancellation away from) an individual spot. It is pretty amazing.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Seems like the big misses are the gear guard, ventilated seats, passenger lumbar adjustment and the compass yellow accents.
Does anyone know lack of gear guard means there are Camera’s missing or only software features are disabled?
Does explore sill records what is going on around the car when you park in a questionable area but not in bed? Or nothing at all at?

The meridian is INSANE. I experience during the NY test drive. I have never experienced something like that.
The question is if the sound system in explore is INSANE as well with fewer features or it is just bad.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone know lack of gear guard means there are Camera’s missing or only software features are disabled?
Does explore sill records what is going on around the car when you park in a questionable area but not in bed? Or nothing at all at?

The question is if the sound system in explore is INSANE as well with fewer features or it is just bad.
From my conversations with CS, it isn't a lack of cameras, the ability to record is disabled. Nothing at all.

I too wish they would provide a clearer explanation of the differences, and show us the pictures. I had a conversation the other day about the manual tonneau cover. I was told it is 4 pieces. The pieces snap to each other and slide into tracks like the power cover does. The rear panel latches the whole assembly in place. I was hoping you could latch each panel so if you only needed to open one or two you could do that (previously an Avalanche owner, and really liked that ability). Also asked about the space that is normally occupied by the power tonneau and if it would be accessible for additional storage. They said it would not, so its just empty enclosed space, which is a little disappointing. Would be kind of cool if they could make it a cubby that the manual tonneau panels could be stacked in. I understand they might not fit fully, but even if they stuck out into the bed a little it would be nice if they could go there instead of the gear tunnel.

I had asked about the speaker earlier and what was in it's place since it is not there. I was not given a clear answer only that they "assumed" it was just an open storage space.

We shouldn't have to go digging for this information, but at least we have the support group of the forum.

As of now I am keeping with my Explore order, though as time passes and I save more, I may end up switching to Adventure before I take delivery. I want the ventilated seats, and I like the gear guard. I was thinking I would like the manual tonneau more, but if it is as limited in versatility as it seems I might like the powered one more. I'm not sold on needing an upgraded stereo, but I plan to keep this vehicle for a while so at the price we are paying, maybe it makes sense to go with the best. Of course all the tax implications could make this a non-point. Guess we will know sOOn...

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I wouldn't be surprised if they legitimately haven't even finalized or figured out exactly what Explore looks like. It sounds crazy because Rivian should have these things figured out, but they've shown that that's not how they do things (having everything planned out and concrete well in advance). They're going to be doing LEs for the next six months and even if they do some non-LEs before finishing the LEs, they'll probably be the easiest to fulfill non-LEs which means using the existing configuration of the line (adventure package).

If that's all the case, then explores could be like a year out, which might explain why there's uncertainty with BT speakers, cameras, software features, etc.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I wouldn't be surprised if they legitimately haven't even finalized or figured out exactly what Explore looks like. It sounds crazy because Rivian should have these things figured out, but they've shown that that's not how they do things (having everything planned out and concrete well in advance). They're going to be doing LEs for the next six months and even if they do some non-LEs before finishing the LEs, they'll probably be the easiest to fulfill non-LEs which means using the existing configuration of the line (adventure package).

If that's all the case, then explores could be like a year out, which might explain why there's uncertainty with BT speakers, cameras, software features, etc.
true, good points. bottom line is we really don't yet know exactly what were getting. by the time Adventure and Explore trims get built and delivered a lot of things could change. hopefully mostly for the better as they discover and fix issues.

tbh, my biggest fear is how much more these bad boys will end up costing than they are listed now or how many features they might have to remove to keep the same price point.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
tbh, my biggest fear is how much more these bad boys will end up costing than they are listed now or how many features they might have to remove to keep the same price point.
Unless Rivian is losing too much money on it, removing too many features or pushing back explore too far may be a mistake. I have a CT and Lightning reservation. A Silverado may be added soon. My reservation with Rivian is explore. If the content or timing becomes more of an issue, the automatic outcome is not moving to adventure for me, it just makes the other options a bit more likely.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I know i'm probably the only one, but I wish I could pick some Explore details to replace the LE trim. I like the light headliner and the matte black dash better than the wood grain...
Sponsored