Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I will heavily dispute this and tell you to NOT push the door in gently. I had to have the service center perform PDR to the doors because of a crease that was forming at the top during first month of ownership. Was advised not to push it in, and to throw it closed instead. It's been months since they removed the crease and with daily usage of slamming the door shut, the crease has not come back.
Sponsored

Seabreeze2112

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Truck Driver
I always close the gear doors and the tailgate just like I close a Tesla frunk. Gentle close, lock in place. Hear a double click. After all they are all electric locks, and it is not good or necessary to slam them.

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
They need to tell their delivery guys this then. He told me to give it a good shut.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
So let me get this straight. All of these options are stated as fact in this thread and/or have been advocated by a SC employee at one time or another.

Don't slam it with your hand at the top as it will crease the top.

Don't gently press it with your hand at the top as it will cause creasing at the top.

Don't slam it with your hand in the center of the door as it will dent it.

Don't gently press it with your hand in the middle. (believe this is the only option not actually reported to cause denting, but not sure if it works and if it does will probably cause a dent.)

Got it.

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
So let me get this straight. All of these options are stated as fact in this thread and/or have been advocated by a SC employee at one time or another.

Don't gently press it with your hand at the top as it will cause creasing at the top.

Don't gently press it with your hand in the middle. (believe this is the only option not actually reported to cause denting, but not sure if it works and if it does will probably cause a dent.)

Got it.
Maybe they are getting a jump on the flying car concept by leaving the gear tunnel doors down...?

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: don't slam your gear tunnel doors! aska-flying-car-folding-wing-evtol-2

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect

Got it.
I just leave mine open

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

Got it.
Yes....

Kind of makes sense that the "throw it closed" method will be the most likely to prevent creasing the door skin. Goes against whet most of us were taught growing up "don't slam that door!!!" but in this case it's the recommended procedure (for now).

beinenson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

That is factually incorrect. The crease is a manufacturing defect, and they are aware of it. You can ask a service center to fix it.

Tejkalra

First Name
Tejinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Was slamming mine too, later I tried it closing slowly I found that it does close if I do it slowly, then why the hell was I slamming it. Now I close it slowly but didn’t knew that it will bend or damage. Good to know.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
That is factually incorrect. The crease is a manufacturing defect, and they are aware of it. You can ask a service center to fix it.
Are you saying the crease is already there when we take delivery?

Or are you saying it's happening due to a manufacturing defect after we use it for some time?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I will heavily dispute this and tell you to NOT push the door in gently. I had to have the service center perform PDR to the doors because of a crease that was forming at the top during first month of ownership. Was advised not to push it in, and to throw it closed instead. It's been months since they removed the crease and with daily usage of slamming the door shut, the crease has not come back.
Counter-point: I use my gear tunnel doors several times a day; and over nearly 9 months over ownership I have no crease. I close the door gently to the first click, then apply gentle pressure with my thumb at the top to the second click.

beinenson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Are you saying the crease is already there when we take delivery?

Or are you saying it's happening due to a manufacturing defect after we use it for some time?
Yes. It is a defect of how uncured the metal is when it slammed the first time at the factory. Easy fix. Ask your service center.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Yes. It is a defect of how uncured the metal is when it slammed the first time at the factory. Easy fix. Ask your service center.
Please.. what is the fix???

Clovis

First Name
M@
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s a two step process. Press and then press. It’s always felt like the natural way to close them.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I went to the Venice hub today and asked them for the proper way to close the gear tunnel.

After getting a look like I was a lizard alien. They showed me how they closed them.

She just used all her fingers spread out, not touching the gear door with her palm, positioned on the upper portion of the door. She gently closed it about three quarters of the way. Than with a rapid but gentle movement. Closed it shut. Around the same force as closing the passenger door.

There you have it :like:
Sponsored