Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I always dip my passenger mirror when parking on a curb. Haven't curbed a wheel in ages.
Sponsored

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I bought these after curbing my 22's in a drive thru 1st week of ownership. Never got around to installing them. Swapped to 20's problem solved. 🤟

Rivian R1T R1S PSA - Don’t destroy / curb a wheel like I did (tips to avoid) 20221008_120934

jbrumsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Miata RF, F-Pace S, Backdraft Cobra
Occupation
IT
After owning several cars with low profile tires and nice wheels I'm really enjoying the ability to just drive over everything with the 20s.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I had some curb rash on my Tesla Model S and Lincoln Navigator L.

I thought I'd have to buy some expensive wheels. Instead, I used Wheels Onsite to repair them. You cannot spot where the repair was. They do it at your work or home. I think it was $200 per wheel.

Worth a try if they or a competitor is in your area.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The mirrors could tilt down when going in reverse. Loved that feature other cars
Our i3 does that and even our older 3-Series had this terrific feature. Would love if Rivian added it via OTA as mirrors are even more accurate than the cameras.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian R1T R1S PSA - Don’t destroy / curb a wheel like I did (tips to avoid) 1675029855220

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
After driving my R1T for a month and 1,600 miles, I’m still having trouble scraping curbs while parking, which I’ve never had driving other cars over the past 40 years. Last night it happened for the third time, this time causing major damage to my (22”) right front wheel.

The damage occurred when I was parking along a tricky curved curb of a residential cul-de-sac. This was frustrating because I was being very careful and thought I was about 6” away from the curb. I was looking at the cameras, inching along, when I felt & heard the tragic SCRAPE.

Of course, all of the blame goes to the driver (me), but the truck could’ve provided better assistance to help avoid this. How? By allowing the option to have the side or bird’s eye camera on the bigger part of the screen, rather than the small side part of the screen. Especially at night, the cameras aren’t very helpful in determining the proximity of the wheels to a curb. To avoid this happening to you, leave more space than the cameras make you think is needed.

This is the first vehicle I’ve had with these types of cameras, and they’re mostly wonderful. But I think I put too much trust in them & thought I understood what I was seeing.

I also don’t like that the 22” wheels stick out beyond the tire sidewall, resulting in a minor curb touch like this causing major cosmetic damage. When it’s time to replace these tires, I’ll probably get some 295/50/22’s. These slightly wider & taller tires will protect my wheels from my sloppy parking skills.

008529F0-F50D-468E-89A7-4FA223F969B4.jpeg
The proximity sensors are more helpful than the cameras for this sort of thing. Are yours working? I ask because mine needed adjustment early on.

OP
OP
dp351

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

The proximity sensors are more helpful than the cameras for this sort of thing. Are yours working? I ask because mine needed adjustment early on.
The different colored lines & noises on my drivers display seem to work well for indicating proximity to objects. But they don’t detect curbs at all. Do yours?

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've came from smaller sedans before getting my R1T so I'm still getting used to driving a larger truck. I always seem to get the rear right wheel on a curb when making turns since I forget to make the turn a bit wider. Thankfully I have the 20" ATs so no damage to the rim.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I live on a curved street and my R1T is the easiest vehicle I’ve ever tried parking on it. I pop the camera off of 360 degree mode and the direct images of each wheel makes getting close to the curb without touching very easy.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
The different colored lines & noises on my drivers display seem to work well for indicating proximity to objects. But they don’t detect curbs at all. Do yours?
Off the top of my head, I can't say. Mostly, in town, I'm in parking lots so don't recall about curbs.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I come from driving both a 1500 Silverado and a 2500HD. I have to say, the Rivian is more difficult for me to park when trying to hug the curb and backing up. The cameras are very poor and the mirrors do not tilt down. My Intellihaul camera system made it easy to back up and provided a crystal clear image.

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
After driving my R1T for a month and 1,600 miles, I’m still having trouble scraping curbs while parking, which I’ve never had driving other cars over the past 40 years. Last night it happened for the third time, this time causing major damage to my (22”) right front wheel.

The damage occurred when I was parking along a tricky curved curb of a residential cul-de-sac. This was frustrating because I was being very careful and thought I was about 6” away from the curb. I was looking at the cameras, inching along, when I felt & heard the tragic SCRAPE.

Of course, all of the blame goes to the driver (me), but the truck could’ve provided better assistance to help avoid this. How? By allowing the option to have the side or bird’s eye camera on the bigger part of the screen, rather than the small side part of the screen. Especially at night, the cameras aren’t very helpful in determining the proximity of the wheels to a curb. To avoid this happening to you, leave more space than the cameras make you think is needed.

This is the first vehicle I’ve had with these types of cameras, and they’re mostly wonderful. But I think I put too much trust in them & thought I understood what I was seeing.

I also don’t like that the 22” wheels stick out beyond the tire sidewall, resulting in a minor curb touch like this causing major cosmetic damage. When it’s time to replace these tires, I’ll probably get some 295/50/22’s. These slightly wider & taller tires will protect my wheels from my sloppy parking skills.

008529F0-F50D-468E-89A7-4FA223F969B4.jpeg
Maybe this will help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_feeler