Sponsored

PSA - DO NOT USE LECTRON ADAPTOR w/ Tesla Wall Charger on Rivian

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I have the Emporia charger and charge our Model S with it with with no issues. Have the Tesla adapter that came with the car and also a Lectron J1772 to Tesla adapter that I have used. I will say that I have free Tesla Supercharging though so do not charge at home very often.

I have the 48 amp Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter as well and used it a couple of times for the R1S when I was on a trip but do not regularly use it just keep it as a backup in a pinch.
Any issues with 48amp adapter?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Any issues with 48amp adapter?
I did not have any issues but to be fair I only used it twice at a hotel in Florida.

I would have no concerns using it again if I had to.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Teslatap mini for the win! They are expensive, but quality products. Use it all the time charging my folks IX, no issues.
Rumor has it its difficult to attach and detach from Tesla destination changer.... any truth to it?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I have the Tesla tap mini as well and glad I spent the extra on a quality adapter after hearing this about the lectron!
How long have you had it? How often is it used?

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
I have had my R1T for almost six months and have been charging it using my Tesla Wall Charger with a Lectron Adapter. Life has been great until a few weeks ago when I started to get charging errors and the truck wouldn't charge. My Rivian Service Center (Kansas City) have been working on my truck and even sent a technician to my house (45 minutes away) to inspect my charging set-up. Turns out the friction caused by the Lectron adaptor causes too much heat build up and fried my R1T charging port and cable assembly on my R1T! When they plugged in my truck at the SC, it fried their charging cable as a result of the bad port. Rivian is fixing the truck under warranty, but will not fix it again if I continue to use this adaptor. The Service Team has been FANTASTIC and we have been working together to figure this out, they are easily the best service I have had out of any cars I have ever owned.

Now the dilemma - buy a Rivian wall charger (might be quickest option) or sell the R1T and get another Tesla? I also have a Tesla Model Y, so if anyone has a Rivian charger with adapter charging a Tesla, I'd like to know if that works and what kind of charging speeds you get? Making the switch of chargers might work if I can get the Tesla charged effectively, but getting an electrician seems to be the short pole in the tent and there are some issues with wiring two chargers in my house that could make this venture pretty pricey, but not being able to get an electrician is the real issue at this time.

I love my R1T and the SC is awesome here in KC, but my wife and I both drive about 90 miles a day each, so charging is a must to make the EVs usable. I would appreciate anyones experience with using a Rivian wall charger on their Tesla, so we can figure out how to move forward.
I use a Juice box level 2 charger and hired an electrician to install the device. No issues so far. The R1T is an awesome vehicle, have not issue charging at home. I bought a Tesla adapter hoping to use it on the road and after research and asking a Tesla tech installer ,I was advised not to use it. My 2 cents is, learn your product. I almost went with a Rivian charger but went with a Juice Box. They have good customer service , I make sure its charging at 48amps. In the show (Apple TV) “Long Way Up” using Juice Box chargers
I see I'm not to only one using the TeslaTap..

I use the regular one, not the Mini, and it's UL Listed, made in the USA and rated for 40amps continuous current. I used it for over a year charging my i3 at 32amps and never any issue with it at all. Once I took delivery of my R1T in Dec I didn't want to share our tesla Wall Charger between three cars, so I re-installed my JuiceBox Pro with the J1772 connector. I no longer use the TeslaTap, but it was 100% rock solid build quality.
I use a Juice Box level 2 charger and it works fine on a Rivian , just make sure it’s charging at 48amps.

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Get the 60A Tesla tap mini, and not some POS garbage plastic from Amazon.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
So to clarify the Lectron 48 amp all in one Tesla to J1772 adapter will work ok for occasional use. When I emailed Lectron they confirmed the 40 amp model has UL review but possibly not UL approval. When I inquired about the 48 amp model they sent me the 40 amp data again. Guessing the 48 amp model may be stretching current carrrying capability a bit as it will start to become warm to the touch with charging cycles in excess of a few hours.

So to be 100% safe I am personally going to install a Tesla wall connector with the J1772 charging handle. Ordered it yesterday and since it will load share with my other Tesla wall charger I will have two top of the line UL tested and approved devices for both vehicles.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Get the 60A Tesla tap mini, and not some POS garbage plastic from Amazon.
It's interesting that there is this impression that a product is garbage if its available on Amazon.

When I went searching for an adapter I had the choice between the Lectron Adapter, and the Tesla Tap.

At the time neither of them were available on Amazon which annoyed me because I wanted fast prime shipping. I ended up going with the Lectron because of some issue with trying to order the TeslaTap in time.

I've haven't had any issues with the lectron, and I verified last night that it wasn't getting hot while charging.

In the entire time I've had it I haven't seen any indication of repeated problems with it.

In fact I would say the biggest problems are that it's not waterproof, and to my knowledge it doesn't have UL approval.

The TeslaTap also has issues in that the website for it looks/feels unprofessional, and doesn't clearly state whether the adapter is UL approved or if its waterproof. If you google those things you see some old information posted on Amazon where the product isn't even available from anymore. The old information stated that it was "virtually waterproof" which is rather meaningless, and that the cable and handle are UL approved. That's also meaningless.

So from a UL + Waterproof perspective neither the TeslaTap or the Lectron really fit the bill for home charging. Occasional use at a Tesla Destination charger is fine.

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I’ve been using my Tesla charger connected to the Lectron adapter for over a year with no issues.
Same here.

I will be curious to see if there are any other cases of this happening or if there was a failure on the truck and Rivian is just blaming the adapter.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry to hear. On the flipside, I have two adapters from them and use them in the same set up as you. It's been 2 years with my mustang, no issues, 8 months with a Polestar 2, no issues, 5 months with the R1T, no issues.

Lectron is a good brand overall. I think it's be even more worried using other random Amazon brands.
I have been using the Tesla/Lectron combo for over a year with the Rivian but I did have a problem not being able to charge a Polestar 2 that I had as a rental when my Rivian was in the shop. Only got to try it once so good to hear it works for you.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Despite me not ever having issues with Lectron, I appreciate @Stack making this post. Whether or not the Lectron adapter is the cause or Rivian's hardware failure is the cause, you don't want them to try to deny a warranty claim because you use an adapter. And you also don't need to disclose what charger or adapter you use when you take it in. The Rivian hardware should be robust enough to shut down before anything harms the vehicle.

Last edited:

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
A single instance of this issue is hardly something to worry about. It's very much more likely that you had a faulty adapter or that something happened to it during your time of ownership...otherwise something like this would be "big news" and result in warnings from Rivian (at least).

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Despite me not ever having issues with Lectron, I appreciate @Stack making this post. Whether or not the Lector adapter is the cause or Rivian's hardware failure is the cause, you don't want them to try to deny a warranty claim because you use an adapter. And you also don't need to disclose what charger or adapter you use when you take it in. The Rivian hardware should be robust enough to shut down before anything harms the vehicle.
Exactly. Well said. There is no requirement that you purchase and use only a Rivian charger. Either the adapter or the truck was faulty....not the owner for using a reasonable alternative.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Does it need to be ""oiled up constantly?" QUOTE="kvenom, post: 341347, member: 2832"]
Takes a little effort, but nothing an able-bodied person can't do.
[/QUOTE]
Takes a little effort, but nothing an able-bodied person can't do.
Sponsored