Sponsored

PSA: Check if your Rivian is locked šŸ˜¢

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have turned off the proximity lock unlock. I used it for about 2 weeks. I'd go in the garage to get something and the car would unlock. I think it's a great feature but I don't think it's a very smart way to go about things especially if you're in some urban setting with your cell phone working as a key. Be careful what you wish for.
I use paak proximity all the time and really like it.
However when I'm at home, my office is right above the garage and my wife tells me she hears the chirp of the lock several times during the day (probably when I go to another room with the phone). So I tried turning off proximity at home. That solved the problem but I really didn't like having to get out my phone, open the app, push the unlock button to get in the vehicle. So I have turned proximity back on at home and just make it a habit to make sure I close the app after I get home from driving. Then open it up again when I want to get in the Rivian again. I actually find that easier than opening the app and pushing the unlock button (1 step vs 2 steps).
Side note: The Rivian is the only vehicle that is locked while in the garage because of its active locking when the paak leaves the area. But since the door handles stick out and I've been jabbed by them more than once walking by it while unlocked, I prefer it to be locked and handles in.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I use paak proximity all the time and really like it.
However when I'm at home, my office is right above the garage and my wife tells me she hears the chirp of the lock several times during the day (probably when I go to another room with the phone). So I tried turning off proximity at home. That solved the problem but I really didn't like having to get out my phone, open the app, push the unlock button to get in the vehicle. So I have turned proximity back on at home and just make it a habit to make sure I close the app after I get home from driving. Then open it up again when I want to get in the Rivian again. I actually find that easier than opening the app and pushing the unlock button (1 step vs 2 steps).
Side note: The Rivian is the only vehicle that is locked while in the garage because of its active locking when the paak leaves the area. But since the door handles stick out and I've been jabbed by them more than once walking by it while unlocked, I prefer it to be locked and handles in.
Why don't you just set your vehicle so it's unlocked while you're at home? You said you park in the garage right?

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

1980 - First Key Fob.

43 years later, we figure out nuclear fusion, yet Rivian can't figure out how to ****ing make a working keyless entry.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
My biggest ask (i'm a simple user) for Rivian (well that and a decent podcast app) is to have the truck auto-lock after X minutes. I hate the way it tells the entire world "hey the truck is unlocked" which, if I recall, would allow you to get access to the frunk, gear tunnel, and bed. Has anyone tested if the truck can be driven in this state?

On a side note - does anyone feel like pushing on the closed door handles triggers PaaK to unlock? I'm sure it's lucky timing, but I'm now in the habit of pushing on the handle if I get to the door before it unlocked and low and behold it unlocks.

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Why don't you just set your vehicle so it's unlocked while you're at home? You said you park in the garage right?
Is there a different way to do that than set the proximity to ignore when at home?
Also, I don't like the door handles sticking out. I'm the kind of person who stubs my pinky toe on a door when I walk by an open door, and i've run into the unlocked door handles more than once.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Is there a different way to do that than set the proximity to ignore when at home?
Also, I don't like the door handles sticking out. I'm the kind of person who stubs my pinky toe on a door when I walk by an open door, and i've run into the unlocked door handles more than once.
Yeah there's an additional setting to keep the truck unlocked at home I believe. I would have to paw through the menu to make sure but I believe I have mine set not to lock at all at home. The handles do stick out though. Where my Rivian lives it has its own garage so that's not much of an issue for me.

Impatient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX350
Can anyone please explain this behavior?- I have a two car garage and if my Lexus NX350 is driven into the garage while R1T is already parked and in locked condition, R1T unlocks by itself. can't understand why.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Can anyone please explain this behavior?- I have a two car garage and if my Lexus NX350 is driven into the garage while R1T is already parked and in locked condition, R1T unlocks by itself. can't understand why.
A person in the Lexus has PaaK set up for the Rivian...

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
After reading parts of this thread I think thereā€™s some user error going on here..

Weā€™ve had our truck a month and put 2,000 miles on it and havenā€™t had a single issue with PAAK working flawlessly. We never carry the fob.

Pull into a parking spot, push park, walk away, car locks. You must keep the Rivian app open and signed in on your phone. If it doesnā€™t chip and lock once youā€™re about 30-40ā€™ away hit the lock button in the app.

We have the proximity lock/unlock turned off at home, and park in our garage. We typically lock the truck via the app at home, but even if we donā€™t, it goes to sleep.

If your vehicle isnā€™t behaving this way check the app or call service and ask for help. For reference we do carry the keycards in our wallets, but have never had to pull them out.

Sponsored

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

After reading parts of this thread I think thereā€™s some user error going on here..

Weā€™ve had our truck a month and put 2,000 miles on it and havenā€™t had a single issue with PAAK working flawlessly. We never carry the fob.

Pull into a parking spot, push park, walk away, car locks. You must keep the Rivian app open and signed in on your phone. If it doesnā€™t chip and lock once youā€™re about 30-40ā€™ away hit the lock button in the app.

We have the proximity lock/unlock turned off at home, and park in our garage. We typically lock the truck via the app at home, but even if we donā€™t, it goes to sleep.

If your vehicle isnā€™t behaving this way check the app or call service and ask for help. For reference we do carry the keycards in our wallets, but have never had to pull them out.
Ditto.

OP
OP
pklomboy

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yup I will have to add to this, listen for the beep, check your app.. you are good. There are times when the truck doesn't recognize my phone so I press on the handle and then it opens. Or I just open the app and unlock. Never had to use a key card and stopped using the fob.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Yup I will have to add to this, listen for the beep, check your app.. you are good. There are times when the truck doesn't recognize my phone so I press on the handle and then it opens. Or I just open the app and unlock. Never had to use a key card and stopped using the fob.
To add to your point about the phone, Iā€™ve noticed once or twice if I havenā€™t unlocked my phone (iPhone 12) for a while, and walk up that the truck it will take longer to unlock. If I unlock my phone as Iā€™m walking to the truck it helps. This is likely more of a phone issue.

RivianRachel

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S, 2013 VW Beetle convertible
Occupation
Web developer
Iā€™m sitting at a restaurant about 25 feet from my R1S and it keeps unlocking randomly when some people walk close to it but not others. šŸ˜¬
Sponsored