ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Ethics question for the community: would it have been bad for me to open the vehicle to reach inside and press the lock button if I couldn't find the owner? I would have left a note inside. Creepy, or reassuring?

Having accidentally left mine unlocked several times, I'd have preferred someone looking out for me. I don't know if others feel the same.
I donā€™t ever want to see anyone in my vehicle, even if it was mistakenly unlocked. Sure, your intentions are good if you want to lock someone elseā€™s car, but if I see someone in my car I am assuming the worst, and probably wonā€™t believe you if you tell me you just want to lock it for me. Opening someone elseā€™s unlocked car door can lead to a bad situation, even if your intentions are good.

On the other hand, knocking on neighborhood doors to find out who owned it and alert them would be appreciated.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Ethics question for the community: would it have been bad for me to open the vehicle to reach inside and press the lock button if I couldn't find the owner? I would have left a note inside. Creepy, or reassuring?
I just tested - the doors re-unlock (and the truck makes a beeping noise on the outside I'd never heard before) when you shut the door. So doing that would have been pointless.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I just tested - the doors re-unlock (and the truck makes a beeping noise on the outside I'd never heard before) when you shut the door. So doing that would have been pointless.
I had seen that before before when I left my key fob inside, and it seemed like useful behavior. I'm not sure what the point is of the behavior you described. Good to know though.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Having accidentally left mine unlocked several times, I'd have preferred someone looking out for me. I don't know if others feel the same.
1. Where were you when I left my gear tunnel open with the fob visible inside for 3 hours golfing? Only stupider thing I could have done was hang a "free test drives" sign.
2. I'd not touch a car but I also wouldn't go knocking looking for an owner unless I knew it was always parked there and normally locked. Depending on the neighborhood etc. Thank you for looking out for them though! I also would be concerned they just remotely unlocked to let a friend grab something or another random act. Tough call.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

What if you just kept car wash mode on?
Interesting, I'll have to see if I can drive with that but I think the windows and wipers would probably out weigh my handle complaints. However now that I know they can do that I'd like a toggle to turn off the extending handles entirely. :fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
As far as you knew, they left the doors unlocked on purpose with the key hidden under the floor mat. If you had locked the doors, the owner could have ended up locked out of their car. Was the note you are planning to leave going to include contact information so they could send you the locksmith bill?

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

As far as you knew, they left the doors unlocked on purpose with the key hidden under the floor mat. If you had locked the doors, the owner could have ended up locked out of their car. Was the note you are planning to leave going to include contact information so they could send you the locksmith bill?
Yes, and to make a new friend.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Around these parts that's a good way to get yourself into some trouble, rummaging through someone else's car. Even if you were trying to do good I don't know that I'd be too happy seeing someone in my car.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I would not. There are two risks - one has already been mentioned - being caught by an overly aggressive owner. Also, if someone had stolen something previously out of the truck unseen, and then you were seen opening/inside the truck, you become the perp by default.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

My number one feature request for Rivian is a "lock-only" prox key mode. I don't ever want it to unlock when I walk up or hang out by a truck I've locked, but I do want it to lock when all keys have left the area (even if previously unlocked manually).
That is a great feature request and Iā€™d use that option!

I have something similar setup for our home. When the last person leaves, the front door locks itself if left unlocked. When someone arrives it remains locked since I never want it to reduce security based on proximity.

The lock setup on the Rivian seems like a real downgrade to other cars Iā€™ve owned with keyless access. My Ford Fusion was my favorite so far: with fob present, grabbing a door handle normally (or touching it where youā€™d grab it) would cause the car to unlock. Walk up to the car, it unlocks as soon as you touch the handle, and pull the handle to open the door all in one continuous motion. When leaving the car, there was a ribbed area (like the charge port door control on the Rivian) off to the side of all 4 door handles. Touch there to lock.

Sponsored

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Went to the slopes yesterday and passed by another Rivian with all of its handles open. Passed by a 2nd time 10 minutes later and it was still open. I guess theres not a timer on the locks? I always listen for the sound and check my app to make sure the doors are all locked.
IMG_2188.jpg
Oh no! well good thing you noticed in time!

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This has happened to me a few times surfing, where I thought I turned off my Bluetooth, locked the car using the key card, and eventually I guess the truck unlocks itself because the phone is in the truck? not really sure

In other situations though, Tesla's app will warn you that the car has been left unlocked. I assume we will get a similar notification in an update soon.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This has happened to me a few times surfing, where I thought I turned off my Bluetooth, locked the car using the key card, and eventually I guess the truck unlocks itself because the phone is in the truck? not really sure
This used to be the case. It would unlock, then relock since the door was never opened, repeatedly throughout the day. I would randomly catch it unlocked. I don't know which update changed this behavior, but I lock my phone (Bluetooth and PaaK enabled) in my truck every single day at work and it no longer unlocks.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This used to be the case. It would unlock, then relock since the door was never opened, repeatedly throughout the day. I would randomly catch it unlocked. I don't know which update changed this behavior, but I lock my phone (Bluetooth and PaaK enabled) in my truck every single day at work and it no longer unlocks.
Nice, that's good to know. So I don't have to even turn off my bluetooth anymore and can safely lock the truck with the phone inside using the key card? (or my new wrist band I finally got them to enable even though I'm not a LE owner)

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Nice, that's good to know. So I don't have to even turn off my bluetooth anymore and can safely lock the truck with the phone inside using the key card? (or my new wrist band I finally got them to enable even though I'm not a LE owner)
I do it every day.
Sponsored