First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Wow, @DuckTruck, what a thorough set of planning and guidance you've done there, even down to the attempt at minimizing lefthand turns! Thanks again for putting this together, and in such form at that!

Though I'm taking my folks to a Smokey Robinson concert the previous night (I don't know what it is with the timing of your trips and classic rock... or whatever he's categorized as), we're trying to set things into place to where we can head out Sunday morning at 7 or so, get nearly recharged on the way down, and meet you in Sandy by 10:30ish for a potential top-off if needed.

Point being, I'm tired of missing out on these good times with some good folk, so I'm putting my chances of making it happen at 85% (which will happen to be my charge setting before heading out ;)
Don't forget the Puget Sound event this month as well!
Sponsored

Neighbors

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Prius
Occupation
Media Development
Don't forget the Puget Sound event this month as well!
Whaaaah?! I missed that post, but I'll do a quick search and get all over it! (assuming I can get all over it). Thanks for the prompt :)

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

No intent to hijack your planning :)

Regarding Mt Defiance, definitely doable for a Rivian. While I haven't done it I wasn't kidding the last time I climbed up there (by foot) there was a guy with what looked like a stock Tacoma with his toy poodle.

Regarding Bennett Pass I have not done the full loop, I did a section of the trail earlier this year but there was too much snow up on gunsight ridge and I couldn't pass. Fantastic views on that portion, the portion through the woods before I got snowed out was a little rutted out but fine for a Rivian. Here is some video of some guys on Bennett pass from earlier this year (around the time of the overland expo PNW). Bennett pass is the later half of the video starting around the 13 min mark.

JJ,

To be sure, I never took your input as anything more than great advice. I'm looking forward to trips where everyone knows in advance that extensive/intensive offroad adventures await. I know you'll have a ton of input about the best trails to explore, and advice as to how best to traverse them.

Your story about Mt. Defiance reminds me of one of my favorite memories. 40 years ago, one of my best friends from childhood and I hiked the 13+ miles of Eagle Creek from I-84 up to a very remote Wahtum Lake, the very source of Eagle Creek. It's from this last resting place that its waters pour out and meander through the dense Wilderness Area forest for a relatively peaceful six miles. It's there that the basalt creek bottom disappears and Eagle Creek lunges out of the forest to the slot canyon floor below as the temporary star in the show called Seven Mile Falls. From there it tumbles through the Gorge bearing its name, on its way to joining the Columbia River.

Back to the beginning. We'd busted out an old trail map from our Boy Scout days. The stories of Eagle Creek always served as a dream hike that we never convinced our troop to take, so we decided we'd take time out as adults to finally make that magical trek.

After packing a week's worth of unneeded gear for our overnight trip, we were off to fulfill our dream. The hike was a wonderful journey through some unbelievably beautiful and rugged country, an uphill climb pretty much every step of the way, gaining 3,000 of altitude throughout the day. The farther we got, the fewer the people we encountered, especially after the gorge disappeared into the wilderness forest. As we chugged along with our Everest-worthy packs in tow, I remember thinking, "This must be what that old dead guy meant by The Road Less Traveled".

This thinning of the hordes takes place just after the dramatic combination of Tunnel Falls and Seven Mile Falls, about the halfway point of our sojourn. Hiking the narrow opening bored through the basalt wall behind Tunnel Falls is an experience. This waterfall cascades from the top of the canyon wall to the floor below. Without this intervention of man, the trail, and our dreams, would end right there. Just a few hundred steps after exiting the tunnel lies Seven Mile Falls. It appears from alongside the trail at the transition between the dramatic, almost surreal, basalt-cliffed gorge and the quiet, dense evergreen forest beyond.

We arrived at the lake in a fairly dense fog cover late in the evening, right before dusk. As we set up our tent and any trace of daylight disappeared,
we noticed a faint, eery glow from across the lake, barely lighting up the fog. We couldn't see, or hear, or smell anything that belied the source. It didn't seem to flicker, so we figured it wasn't a fire. A quick look at the map with our headlamps showed nothing on the other side. Hmm? Nothing but forest. Like a dim nightlight from across a very large room, it let us know it was there, but it was still a mystery.

When we awoke and climbed out of our tent at dawn, the fog was still there, but the first bit of sunlight was causing it to slowly lift. We could barely hear some muted activity for a moment, apparently from the other side, but it stopped and left us with no clue as to what it was, or even how far it was to the other side.

We discovered a tree that appeared to have bellyflopped into the lake many years before. It created a natural pier into the glass-like water, so we shimmied out to enjoy the quiet stillness of the new day, and continue the waking process. The silence was deafening. It was while we straddled the log that the calmness of the moment gave way to a slight, rhythmic whooshing sound coming from the misty shroud above. We looked up to see an eagle directly overhead in the foggy air flying up from nearby. It had something in its clutch, but it didn’t appear to be a fish or some other soon-to-be instant breakfast.

Shortly after that lifelong memory was instilled, we noticed the fog lifting enough to expose some of the far shoreline. While the fog still blocked our view of what was beyond, the reflection in the glassy water showed some anomaly in the forest above, but still no answer as the misty veil continued its slow ascent.

At about the same time we heard a strange clicking noise, the motor home and parking area came into view, followed by what appeared to be a recently-cut roadway. It was then that our dreams of exploring the "Wilderness Area" beyond the far side of the lake crashed harder than Eagle Creek faceplanting on the rocks at the botton of Seven Mile Falls.

We reluctantly waved to the grandfather of the guy you met at Mt. Defiance, as he let his toy poodle-sized pup out of the castle-on-wheels to lift his leg and do his dooty on the shores of our pristine dreams. It was then that we surmised that the wise eagle had packed its stuff and got a head start on a retreat back down its namesake waterway. In hindsight, I think the eagle was slowly shaking its head.

That's a 26-mile, 40-year, 10-paragraph way of telling you "I can relate". Should I run into a guy with a toy poodle when I do my reconnaissance run up Mt. Defiance, I'll tell him hello for you.

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Wow, @DuckTruck, what a thorough set of planning and guidance you've done there, even down to the attempt at minimizing lefthand turns! Thanks again for putting this together, and in such form at that!

Though I'm taking my folks to a Smokey Robinson concert the previous night (I don't know what it is with the timing of your trips and classic rock... or whatever he's categorized as), we're trying to set things into place to where we can head out Sunday morning at 7 or so, get nearly recharged on the way down, and meet you in Sandy by 10:30ish for a potential top-off if needed.

Point being, I'm tired of missing out on these good times with some good folk, so I'm putting my chances of making it happen at 85% (which will happen to be my charge setting before heading out ;)
Neighbors,

Thanks for your kind words. It's little details that can make the difference. I don't like things overplanned or too rigid, so I hope all have a great time, no matter what we find out there.

Regarding the 23rd, a few thoughts...

Firstly, please bring your entire family. It's always fun to meet new Neighbors, and this is a big state.

Secondly, every drive I take is a classic rock concert, thanks to Rivian, Meridian, and Spotify.

And lastly, enjoy the show with Smokey! I hope to hear you tell me in person that he sang one of his extended renditions of Going to a Go-Go. Like him, it's a classic.

For me, the Stones do it justice, but Smokey owns it.

Hope to see you next Sunday!🤞

Be well and travel safely!

Seawolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6, Subaru Outback
I'll be able to come, I have 3 open seats in my truck.

Edit: It'll work best if I meet the group at Sandy at 11. I'm also game for the Mt Defiance. I've done some 4 wheel tracks in CO in a beat up Toyota Matrix and wanted to try it out in the Rivian since I got the truck!

Last edited:

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

@DuckTruck - are you keeping an eye on the high mountain weather? Looking like snow and wind this weekend. I am all for a snowy mountain drive but something for people to keep in mind.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapCli...8&lon=-121.70877456665039&smap=1#.Y07ScHbMKUk

1666110255321.png
I’ve been thinking about this too. DT and I are going up there today (Mt. Defiance), but conditions this weekend will be completely different. This might be the last few days to be able to get up there this year.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I’ve been thinking about this too. DT and I are going up there today (Mt. Defiance), but conditions this weekend will be completely different. This might be the last few days to be able to get up there this year.
Mt Defiance tops out around 5000ft so it should be a slightly different scenario than Timberline which is up over 6000ft. I expect with these snow levels Mt Defiance will see only an inch or so.

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'll be able to come, I have 3 open seats in my truck.

Edit: It'll work best if I meet the group at Sandy at 11. I'm also game for the Mt Defiance. I've done some 4 wheel tracks in CO in a beat up Toyota Matrix and wanted to try it out in the Rivian since I got the truck!
Seawolf,

That's great to hear that you'll be joining us in Sandy at the ElectrifyAmerica station, and that you have some extra seats available.

I'll help to find folks available to fill your seats, but encourage everyone to announce available seats here, and for others looking for rides to reach out to express their interest in filling them.

Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday!

Keep an eye out for an update regarding Mt. Defiance.

Sponsored

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fisheries science
@DuckTruck , Planning on joining with an R1T my girlfriend Amy and my Husky Orion. We could have a spare seat in the back if I take out half my dog board but whomever joins would have a 89 lb pup beside them! Coming from Newport and thinking about popping up Sat so I wont have to leave so early. IF we do I’ll see about connecting for breakfast at Edgefield.

Drott

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 2011
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I’m planning on joining up tomorrow at Timberline, but going to hike Mirror Lake starting about 10 for anyone that wants to join, assuming it’s not snowing terribly. After Timberline, tbd based on my 2 year old companion. With unknown return plans I can’t commit to take anyone in the truck but look forward to meeting up.
Dan

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I'm not going to make it. I'm in Shoreline, WA this weekend helping my son who is building a shop in his backyard. He has to get it finished so he can move his equipment out of his basement. Then they will finish the basement; adding a bathroom, bedroom, laundry room and play room all be for May when they expect their first child. I won't be able to help him much after this weekend because my other child is expecting her baby at the end of the month.

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Wish I could have made it. I'm on call this week and couldn't leave the Seattle area. Love that you're starting near McMenamins locations that would have been my choice as well. Next time.
Sponsored