DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. th-159446792
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. 1680-timberline-lodge-and-ski-area-winter-snow-Header
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. WindSurfing_03

Hello Rivian Lovers of the Northwest!

It's been a while since we've gathered, and I'm hoping to remedy that. To date, our gatherings have been limited to Friday night social gatherings to get to know one another. While I've loved every one of them and look forward to many more, I think it's time we go for a drive. And maybe put some gravel in our travel along the way.

In the very first video from Rivian, I remember a scene of an R1T heading up U.S. Hwy 26, with Mount Hood in its sights. As we're approaching the four-year anniversary of the original Rivian rollout, I thought it would be fun to make a convoy and replicate that scene, along with a drive around Mount Hood, North to Hood River, and back through the Columbia River Gorge. The Autumn colors should be awesome at that time!

What I'm proposing is a casual trip for any and all Rivian owners, reservation-holders, and Rivian-curious fans. This is nothing more than a Sunday drive, and everyone should make sure they're vehicles are properly charged, and prepared for a great day together. I plan on doing this trip in two weeks, that being Sunday October 23rd. I thought it would be good to gather at McMenamin's Edgefield Lodge in Troutdale at 10:00 Sunday morning. I plan on having breakfast at their Black Rabbit Restaurant at 9:00. Feel free to join me. The place is wonderful.

Some owners have expressed interest in filling their R1T's with folks still waiting for their Rivians. I hope the same is true for those lucky R1S owners out there. Whether we fill the Rivians or people decide to drive other vehicles, I thought we'd leave there at 10:30 and head to meet others at the ElectrifyAmerica station in Sandy. We'd be there by 11:00, should people want to sleep in, but still join in the fun.

From Sandy, we'll head to Timberline Lodge (remember "The Shining?), which is about 45 minutes away. We can either bring lunch with us, or dine in the lodge if we'd like. While we're there, we can get some great group shots of us and our convoy of Rivians in front of the Lodge. If the skies are clear, there's also that beautiful view of Mt. Jefferson to the South. After that, we'll continue around the mountain and head towards Hood River. That's only an hour away, not accounting for checking out the produce and baked goods at the shops as we pass through The Fruit Loop.

An option would be to add a short off-road component to the day as we near Hood River, with the payoff being great views of Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helen's, and Mt. Adams, weather permitting. The proposed offroad trip is known as the Mt. Defiance Trail. If we add the Mt. Defiance leg to our day, it looks like we might add another two hours and maybe 30 miles, including the offroad portion. While that trail is only about a 3.5 mile roundtrip, it's a bit of a sidetrip to get there, and a slow slog up to the top and back down. That may make for too long a day, but I'm up for considering it. If it's not to be, it'll make for a great destination trip later.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/3215-mt-defiance

My mapping software tells me we'd have a minimum of 152 miles for the loop, and at least 3 hours of driving time, if we stay on the pavement. Again, we will have charging available in Hood River for just after the Mt. Defiance run, with more when we get back to Troutdale.

If we don't hit Mt. Defiance, it'd be fun to get out on the landing on the Columbia River to watch the windsurfers and get more group pics. Regardless of what we do in the Hood River area, experiencing the "Nuclear Wind" that the Gorge is famous for is always fun.

From there, we'll head back to Troutdale, where we can enjoy a bite and a beer, or glass of wine at Edgefield's Electric Station before heading out.

Feel free to message me directly, or reply here to express your interest in joining us. If we haven't already exchanged contact info, please message me privately here with your phone number, and I'll text you back with mine. That'll put you in line for all future events in the area. Also, please advise as to whether you might be up for hauling other folks, and if you have any appetite for adding the Mt. Defiance trek to the day. Again, that can always be a shorter day trip just to get dirty.

Hope to see many of you soon!

Bruce

(FYI, the trail rating system displayed here is a scale of 1 to 10. The 5/6 ratings are 5 of 10 for the standard trail, with the 6 of 10 for an optional route.)
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. Screenshot_20221009-233424_TrailsOffroad
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. Screenshot_20221009-233435_TrailsOffroad
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. Screenshot_20221009-233514_TrailsOffroad
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. Screenshot_20221009-220112_Electrify America
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. Screenshot_20221009-220224_Electrify America

Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. Screenshot_20221010-112032_Electrify America
Sponsored

Last edited:

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

There were two R1Ts at that Hood River EA when I was there a couple weeks ago. 😁
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. 7C41B19C-AA14-47CE-A624-C1063B734D71

(Mine’s the Forest Green, as is the trailer in the distance - I had pulled up so I could charge at the end unit while connected - but the end unit wasn’t working. So had to disconnect and move over.)

And my R1T was just at Timberline yesterday! (Couldn’t get a parking spot close enough to get a picture.)

Sadly, I won’t be able to make this gathering. Portland Thorns playoff match is that day.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
if i didnt live 2436 miles away... :(

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I’m in. Still don’t have my R1T yet, but I can follow along in my wrangler.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hmmm, I wonder why they rated it a 5 for difficulty. I would have guessed a 2 or 3 based on the video and description.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Driving up Mt Defiance is cheating... I mean if you do the loop hike with Starvation Ridge it is only 5k vertical of hiking, very challenging and rewarding hike but a bit let down when you get up there and some guy has his Tacoma and a toy poodle.

There is a lot of good gravel that is along that route around the mountain as well. For example:
  • Still Creek Rd starts just before Rhodendron and travels south of Tom Dick and Harry to end up in Government camp.
  • Road 27 is a good one too just past Rhodedendron but this is an out and back that ends at West Zigzag TH
  • Bennet Pass and the Terrible traverse is a bit more of a challenging option but you can start at Meadows and end up on the Hood River side of the mountain.
  • Another tame gravel road option is to drive up to Cloud Cap on the NE side of the mountain
Loving the plan for a meet up in my neck of the woods. Not 100% on my plans for that weekend yet so will keep you posted.

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

I am interested! Like av8or I don't have my R1S yet, but can come along in my FJ. First gravel it's seen in a couple years with no time for camping. :(

Think my stock tire FJ will have any issues? Who is bringing recovery gear?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Hmmm, I wonder why they rated it a 5 for difficulty. I would have guessed a 2 or 3 based on the video and description.
FWIW, their system is on a scale of 1-10. Suspecting you already know that, the videos make it look easier than a 5 to me, as well. As the road appears to be needed for telecom service vehicles, I can't imagine it will be very tough.

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I am interested! Like av8or I don't have my R1S yet, but can come along in my FJ. First gravel it's seen in a couple years with no time for camping. :(

Think my stock tire FJ will have any issues? Who is bringing recovery gear?
I'm bringing my Rivian recovery kit with me.

CharlotteT

First Name
Charlotte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hylander
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
I love this idea. If my R1S arrives by then I will join. It’s ETA is the 20th so it’s not very likely. Also wanted to suggest a stop at Sugar Pine in Troutdale on your way to Hwy 84. The owners are fellow Rivian owners and the drive up restaurant has the best food and soft serves ice cream around.

Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. AF57C781-7847-4D67-B7B7-E07978E104C0

Sponsored

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Driving up Mt Defiance is cheating... I mean if you do the loop hike with Starvation Ridge it is only 5k vertical of hiking, very challenging and rewarding hike but a bit let down when you get up there and some guy has his Tacoma and a toy poodle.

There is a lot of good gravel that is along that route around the mountain as well. For example:
  • Still Creek Rd starts just before Rhodendron and travels south of Tom Dick and Harry to end up in Government camp.
  • Road 27 is a good one too just past Rhodedendron but this is an out and back that ends at West Zigzag TH
  • Bennet Pass and the Terrible traverse is a bit more of a challenging option but you can start at Meadows and end up on the Hood River side of the mountain.
  • Another tame gravel road option is to drive up to Cloud Cap on the NE side of the mountain
Loving the plan for a meet up in my neck of the woods. Not 100% on my plans for that weekend yet so will keep you posted.
JJ,

There was method in my madness for picking a secondary starting point in Sandy. I was listening months ago.

I'm hoping those not wanting to hit Edgefield earlier (for breakfast and catching rides) will be up for a little later start time/shorter overall time commitment. I was very pleased to find that the Oregon-UCLA game the day before will kickoff at 12:30, and not 8 PM again, for those of us going to Eugene that Saturday. Hopefully, the Pac-12 headquarters can get some help from the CDC and find a cure for their persistent Rectal-Cranial Inversion outbreak that led to "The Pac-12 After The Fans Have Gone To Bed" broadcasts. But I digress....

If any Rivian owners are thinking of starting in Sandy and might have available space for others, this forum would be a great venue for announcing that. This might allow partnering for ride-alongs with those still waiting for their delivery. Just a thought...

Regarding your other suggestions on trails before we get to Timberline Lodge, my biggest reluctance is that some people are thinking about meeting us at Timberline to start their portion of the journey. I think we may have our most people from the Lodge to Hood River and back home, and I'd hate to have them waiting longer until we get up there.

I do like your mention of Still Creek Road, but for other reasons. If we take it from Rhododendron to Government Camp, it would require us to make a left hand turns onto 26 to get back to Government Camp and up to Timberline Lodge. Left hand turns with big groups can be tricky. What I'd like to do instead would be to head to Timberline directly from Sandy. After leaving Timberline and dropping back down to 26, we would head East and then take that same right hand turn to go past Still Creek Campground and circle around Trillium Lake. This is a short hop and would allow everyone to get that classic view of Mount Hood shared in the original picture for this post. It would make for a great group pic, as well. When we rejoin 26, we'd be turning right, making it easier to all stay together when we head North on 35 towards Hood River.

That said, all of your options look like great fun for another day, especially one focused on getting offroad. As this is our first driving event as a group, and some people may be traveling some distance just to join in, while others may be joining us in less-capable (notice I didn’t I say "less than RivianAwesome") vehicles, I thought we'd minimize the offroad aspect of this trip.

Also, as Mt. Defiance does accommodate service vehicles, I'm guessing it will be passible for certain. What the Trail Guide recommends is "Lightly modified 4X4 [with] (Small Lift and Larger Tires)". I think the Rivians should be well up to the task. As @SeaGeo noted, the videos about the trail make it seem less intimidating than the Guide indicates. Just for good measure, I'm going to go try it out over the next few days, and I'll post my experience here. Again, the weather or other factors could derail the offroading plans altogether. After I scout it out, if it's right to change up the plan, we'll do so. If you don't hear from me by the end of this weekend, please release the hounds!

Additional info Re: Mt. Defiance:
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. Screenshot_20221012-092717_TrailsOffroad

I just texted you some questions regarding Bennett pass, as that looks like an awesome route to take at some point. Given that it says it's 2 hours to drive-through, if some people didn't want to do it, that would seem a long time to wait and may cause some do not want to do this first drive. Bennett sure does look like a must-do for a Gravel Day soo...."in the near future".

I'm looking forward to discussing all of this with you, as you have a wealth of offroad experience I'm hoping to learn from. That was one of many primary forces in creating my Rivian addiction. And no, I didn't just coin "Rivaddiction", or did I? 😵💫

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

JJ,

There was method in my madness for picking a secondary starting point in Sandy. I was listening months ago.

I'm hoping those not wanting to hit Edgefield earlier (for breakfast and catching rides) will be up for a little later start time/shorter overall time commitment. I was very pleased to find that the Oregon-UCLA game the day before will kickoff at 12:30, and not 8 PM again, for those of us going to Eugene that Saturday. Hopefully, the Pac-12 headquarters can get some help from the CDC and find a cure for their persistent Rectal-Cranial Inversion outbreak that led to "The Pac-12 After The Fans Have Gone To Bed" broadcasts. But I digress....

If any Rivian owners are thinking of starting in Sandy and might have available space for others, this forum would be a great venue for announcing that. This might allow partnering for ride-alongs with those still waiting for their delivery. Just a thought...

Regarding your other suggestions on trails before we get to Timberline Lodge, my biggest reluctance is that some people are thinking about meeting us at Timberline to start their portion of the journey. I think we may have our most people from the Lodge to Hood River and back home, and I'd hate to have them waiting longer until we get up there.

I do like your mention of Still Creek Road, but for other reasons. If we take it from Rhododendron to Government Camp, it would require us to make a left hand turns onto 26 to get back to Government Camp and up to Timberline Lodge. Left hand turns with big groups can be tricky. What I'd like to do instead would be to head to Timberline directly from Sandy. After leaving Timberline and dropping back down to 26, we would head East and then take that same right hand turn to go past Still Creek Campground and circle around Trillium Lake. This is a short hop and would allow everyone to get that classic view of Mount Hood shared in the original picture for this post. It would make for a great group pic, as well. When we rejoin 26, we'd be turning right, making it easier to all stay together when we head North on 35 towards Hood River.

That said, all of your options look like great fun for another day, especially one focused on getting offroad. As this is our first driving event as a group, and some people may be traveling some distance just to join in, while others may be joining us in less-capable (notice I didn’t I say "less than RivianAwesome") vehicles, I thought we'd minimize the offroad aspect of this trip.

Also, as Mt. Defiance does accommodate service vehicles, I'm guessing it will be passible for certain. What the Trail Guide recommends is "Lightly modified 4X4 [with] (Small Lift and Larger Tires)". I think the Rivians should be well up to the task. As @SeaGeo noted, the videos about the trail make it seem less intimidating than the Guide indicates. Just for good measure, I'm going to go try it out over the next few days, and I'll post my experience here. Again, the weather or other factors could derail the offroading plans altogether. After I scout it out, if it's right to change up the plan, we'll do so. If you don't hear from me by the end of this weekend, please release the hounds!

Additional info Re: Mt. Defiance:
Screenshot_20221012-092717_TrailsOffroad.jpg

I just texted you some questions regarding Bennett pass, as that looks like an awesome route to take at some point. Given that it says it's 2 hours to drive-through, if some people didn't want to do it, that would seem a long time to wait and may cause some do not want to do this first drive. Bennett sure does look like a must-do for a Gravel Day soo...."in the near future".

I'm looking forward to discussing all of this with you, as you have a wealth of offroad experience I'm hoping to learn from. That was one of many primary forces in creating my Rivian addiction. And no, I didn't just coin "Rivaddiction", or did I? 😵💫
No intent to hijack your planning :)

Regarding Mt Defiance, definitely doable for a Rivian. While I haven't done it I wasn't kidding the last time I climbed up there (by foot) there was a guy with what looked like a stock Tacoma with his toy poodle.

Regarding Bennett Pass I have not done the full loop, I did a section of the trail earlier this year but there was too much snow up on gunsight ridge and I couldn't pass. Fantastic views on that portion, the portion through the woods before I got snowed out was a little rutted out but fine for a Rivian. Here is some video of some guys on Bennett pass from earlier this year (around the time of the overland expo PNW). Bennett pass is the later half of the video starting around the 13 min mark.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, their system is on a scale of 1-10. Suspecting you already know that, the videos make it look easier than a 5 to me, as well. As the road appears to be needed for telecom service vehicles, I can't imagine it will be very tough.
Haha, yeah. I just happened to be reviewing trails on trailsoffroad in the area and this is the type of trail that would be rated as a 3 to 5 in the area:
Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. 1665598635375

Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. 1665598665161

Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. 1665598795914

Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. 1665598838407

I just thought the difference between the ratings was interesting.

Rivian R1T R1S Proposed Group Trip: Mt. Hood - Hood River Loop on October 23rd. 1665598704883

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Haha, yeah. I just happened to be reviewing trails on trailsoffroad in the area and this is the type of trail that would be rated as a 3 to 5 in the area:
1665598635375.png

1665598665161.png

1665598795914.png

1665598838407.png

I just thought the difference between the ratings was interesting.

1665598704883.png
Youch! That looks like messy fun! Hopefully I find the 5/6 rating for Mt. Defiance is overblown.

More to follow....

Neighbors

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Prius
Occupation
Media Development
Wow, @DuckTruck, what a thorough set of planning and guidance you've done there, even down to the attempt at minimizing lefthand turns! Thanks again for putting this together, and in such form at that!

Though I'm taking my folks to a Smokey Robinson concert the previous night (I don't know what it is with the timing of your trips and classic rock... or whatever he's categorized as), we're trying to set things into place to where we can head out Sunday morning at 7 or so, get nearly recharged on the way down, and meet you in Sandy by 10:30ish for a potential top-off if needed.

Point being, I'm tired of missing out on these good times with some good folk, so I'm putting my chances of making it happen at 85% (which will happen to be my charge setting before heading out ;)
Sponsored