Sponsored

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Now we're talking. A lot of cars come with this cavernous hole under the console and there's no place to put your sunglasses or smaller items. I bought one from a Tesla model 3 I believe for my Hyundai Santa Cruz so a lot of cars have this issue. This should be popular thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

Now we're talking. A lot of cars come with this cavernous hole under the console and there's no place to put your sunglasses or smaller items. I bought one from a Tesla model 3 I believe for my Hyundai Santa Cruz so a lot of cars have this issue. This should be popular thanks.
Thanks! Let’s see if 3D printing stuff like that is feasible. Time will tell :)

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
For my Santa Cruz I had to Hot melt glue some metal stops underneath the sides of the tray to keep it from falling down in which wasn't an ideal solution.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Thanks! Let’s see if 3D printing stuff like that is feasible. Time will tell :)
I am legitimately interested to see how the PLA printed organizers hold up. I printed mine in PETG for the higher heat tolerance but PETG is such a pain to print that it will be nice if PLA works just as well.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I am legitimately interested to see how the PLA printed organizers hold up. I printed mine in PETG for the higher heat tolerance but PETG is such a pain to print that it will be nice if PLA works just as well.
PLA will warp terribly. My initial prints a while back were in it, and on the first day in the heat it went from hard to the pliability of a Twizzler. PETG or ABS are viable options, but ABS puts off noxious fumes while printing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

PLA will warp terribly. My initial prints a while back were in it, and on the first day in the heat it went from hard to the pliability of a Twizzler. PETG or ABS are viable options, but ABS puts off noxious fumes while printing.
So, today I actually tested that as we had a pretty hot day. I put it in my car for an hour, with internal temperature 105F. After an hour - it hasn't deformed at all. I too am a bit concerned about possible bending/warping issues, but I'd rather give it a chance because based on my testing at least, it holds. I am yet to test printing this with PETG, for the past month I've been trying to get to acceptable quality and print time...so I started at 23hrs print time for 1 console with a high defect rate and pretty poor quality, to currently about 4-5hrs (depending on settings which I am still modifying actively) with much nicer quality, and I think soon enough it will be great quality. Not sure how that will look with PETG though, but will try at some point.

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Further on the subject of possible risk of deformation - according to some website on the internet (sounds legit, right? 😃), the glass transition temp for PLA is about 130F while for PETG it's about 180F...indeed a big difference, but then again anything under 130F should not soften the PLA.
In my Model S, there is this feature (enabled by default) called "Cabin overheat protection" which basically keeps the inside of the car up to 110F or something like that... is there such a thing with the Rivian? In other words, given that this is not a product exposed to sun (as it's hidden in the armrest), is it realistic to think the temp can hit 130F?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Further on the subject of possible risk of deformation - according to some website on the internet (sounds legit, right? 😃), the glass transition temp for PLA is about 130F while for PETG it's about 180F...indeed a big difference, but then again anything under 130F should not soften the PLA.
In my Model S, there is this feature (enabled by default) called "Cabin overheat protection" which basically keeps the inside of the car up to 110F or something like that... is there such a thing with the Rivian? In other words, given that this is not a product exposed to sun (as it's hidden in the armrest), is it realistic to think the temp can hit 130F?
There's no cabin overheat protection currently offered for Rivian. The fans will attempt to cool the battery but I'm sure that has limited to no impact on interior temps.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

Vinyl logos for generic center caps look pretty good. May replace them with the OEM ones Rivian plans to release, since the logo may have depth to it, but with Rivian allegedly charging $100, the vinyl version is a much better value.

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg
Did you powder coat your wheels black? If so, may I ask what you paid?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Did you powder coat your wheels black? If so, may I ask what you paid?
I did. Total was $750 including mounting fees and taxes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Any windshield protectors if that's a thing planned?
I live in California, and our roads suck. My Model S' windshield just got cracked again last week (rock on the freeway), I think that's the 3rd time I have to replace a windshield for the past 2 years (and don't get me started on flat tiers because of screws, nails, potholes etc)... so last week when it happened I installed 8mil clear PPF on it to see how it goes, but I removed it the next day because everything became a bit foggy...not enough to be dangerous but enough to make me regret it every time I look through the crystal clear side windows.
So my point is - PPF on the windshield won't work as far as I can tell based on my experiment. If you have another idea what could be put on it, I am all in, I just have no idea... sometime ago I installed armored foil on my house windows, just in case, and I made an experiment and installed one of the foils on the outside (even though it's an inside installation only) and now a few years later it looks terrible, so that won't do it either.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I installed the @twraps door sill protectors and gear tunnel vinyl over the weekend. Super easy and probably took a total of 20 to 25 minutes. The first door took the longest as I was figuring out my strategy and then the rest were easy. Definitely a good product.

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

I did. Total was $750 including mounting fees and taxes.
Auch! But it does look great though, powder coat beats vinyl any day. (I know I am not supposed to say that because I sell the vinyl but just being honest here)
How long does it take? In other words, how long did you have to go without your truck?

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

There's no cabin overheat protection currently offered for Rivian. The fans will attempt to cool the battery but I'm sure that has limited to no impact on interior temps.
I ordered 2 spools of black PETG, they should be delivered today. I will give it a shot, maybe it will be better to keep on the safe side and switch to PETG, I don't know...let's see how the print will go. I have very limited experience with PETG but I've heard horror stories of oozing and what not 😬
Sponsored