First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Hi Iliya ..... great job so far! 3D printing has a very steep learning curve, and PETG has some unique quirks that you can only ferret out via trial and error. FWIW- I made a couple of Tesla/Yeti cup adapters and the PLA ones all warped after just a few weeks. Later, I printed the same exact design in PETG and it's still perfect after almost two years in the M3.

I saw back on page one maybe, you were intending to offer a full front end kit... hood bumper, lights, etc.. Did that ever materialize? I don't have my truck yet, but I'd like to get protection on it as s00n as it arrives :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

Hi Iliya ..... great job so far! 3D printing has a very steep learning curve, and PETG has some unique quirks that you can only ferret out via trial and error. FWIW- I made a couple of Tesla/Yeti cup adapters and the PLA ones all warped after just a few weeks. Later, I printed the same exact design in PETG and it's still perfect after almost two years in the M3.

I saw back on page one maybe, you were intending to offer a full front end kit... hood bumper, lights, etc.. Did that ever materialize? I don't have my truck yet, but I'd like to get protection on it as s00n as it arrives :)
Thanks!
Indeed PETG was a tricky one to master...also lack of experience and poor equipment didn't help, but now I bought 5 industrial printers and things are running smoothly, and so far no issues with PETG. I am also slowly switching to ABS (some prints that I ship now are ABS) as I find it much more rigid, even higher temperature resistance (you can put it in boiling water and it wouldn't care) and actually easier to print (less oozing, less post-processing clean up) :)

As for the full front and that - not yet done but it will be. I got severely delayed with everything because of two major factors - 1) 3D printing...I really wanted to get this off the ground but took a lot longer than I expected and 2) Tesla hit me with a cease & desist for some of our products so I had to go through everything, change cut models, update presentations, yet to re-do the install videos on some etc... I hope in a couple of weeks I will have a bit of free time and then I plan to get the R1T again so I can finish the job. Also in the meantime, I am working on a new thing (3D printed again) which I hope to finalize next time I pick up an R1T...so all in all, before the end of October I really hope I will have a lot more to offer than now.
By all means, I haven't decided not to do it, I've just been super delayed.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ thank you for the quick reply.

If I just order the full hood (2 PC) and front bumper (5 PC) kits what's left to cover? Just the headlights and light bar? I guess that would be the "full kit" contents?

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

^ thank you for the quick reply.

If I just order the full hood (2 PC) and front bumper (5 PC) kits what's left to cover? Just the headlights and light bar? I guess that would be the "full kit" contents?
There would be a few key differences…
First let me start by saying that things may change once I have the truck and start designing on it but for now the running assumption is that for the full front, I will provide a professional grade install kit as opposed to what I currently provide (a 2oz spray bottle and a squeegee). That kit would include a large spray bottle for the soapy solution, a smaller but still big spray bottle for clear water (for tacking), a bigger squeegee, a heat gun, possibly a clay bar with lubricant for it and a microfiber cloth. With those in mind, it becomes possible to do installations that are otherwise impossible. Let me give you an example - currently the bumper PPF covers about 95% of the surface area of the bumper. If I would currently make it cover 99% or 100% or even more (wrap around the edges), most people will fail the install (I think). But with the proper tools I think that might not be the case. So for the full front I will revise each of the existing products and try to make it cover as much as possible without making the install ridiculously difficult.
Another notable difference would be the hood - the current version covers only half the hood. The reason is that the full hood requires a 60” plotter and at the time I designed those I only had 30” plotters. I’ve bought a 60” one since then but we ran out of space in the office so it’s staying at home until Nov 1 when we move into a much bigger place. But for the full front kit, the hood will be full coverage, not half as it is now.
Last but not least for the full front I will also design the mirrors and front fenders, which I will sell separately too, but just saying they will be part of the full front. Possibly the painted area above the windshield too, will check about this one.

Oh and because it will be sold as a kit, it will cost less than buying each individual piece separately.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ Wow! Sounds great....... will be eagerly waiting :)

Sponsored

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

There would be a few key differences…
First let me start by saying that things may change once I have the truck and start designing on it but for now the running assumption is that for the full front, I will provide a professional grade install kit as opposed to what I currently provide (a 2oz spray bottle and a squeegee). That kit would include a large spray bottle for the soapy solution, a smaller but still big spray bottle for clear water (for tacking), a bigger squeegee, a heat gun, possibly a clay bar with lubricant for it and a microfiber cloth. With those in mind, it becomes possible to do installations that are otherwise impossible. Let me give you an example - currently the bumper PPF covers about 95% of the surface area of the bumper. If I would currently make it cover 99% or 100% or even more (wrap around the edges), most people will fail the install (I think). But with the proper tools I think that might not be the case. So for the full front I will revise each of the existing products and try to make it cover as much as possible without making the install ridiculously difficult.
Another notable difference would be the hood - the current version covers only half the hood. The reason is that the full hood requires a 60” plotter and at the time I designed those I only had 30” plotters. I’ve bought a 60” one since then but we ran out of space in the office so it’s staying at home until Nov 1 when we move into a much bigger place. But for the full front kit, the hood will be full coverage, not half as it is now.
Last but not least for the full front I will also design the mirrors and front fenders, which I will sell separately too, but just saying they will be part of the full front. Possibly the painted area above the windshield too, will check about this one.

Oh and because it will be sold as a kit, it will cost less than buying each individual piece separately.
Thank you for being so transparent! Also very interesting hearing what companies go thru to produce the accessories for us.

Bop

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2020
Occupation
Retired
Iliya, I'm going crazy trying to find 21" center cap logo's, can you help me find them?
Thank you,
Tony

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

@twraps Big fan of this collaboration. Can't wait to see the Christmas theme
Rivian R1T R1S Products & Accessories for Rivian R1T/R1S by TWRAPS 1664943002005

Sponsored

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

@twraps Big fan of this collaboration. Can't wait to see the Christmas theme
1664943002005.png
Thank you! :) That was a custom order, but for the next holidays I hope to be better prepared and be able to sell it officially. I just need to find proper materials and vendors for these materials and develop a few customized cut models and that's it :)

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Thanks!
Indeed PETG was a tricky one to master...also lack of experience and poor equipment didn't help, but now I bought 5 industrial printers and things are running smoothly, and so far no issues with PETG. I am also slowly switching to ABS (some prints that I ship now are ABS) as I find it much more rigid, even higher temperature resistance (you can put it in boiling water and it wouldn't care) and actually easier to print (less oozing, less post-processing clean up) :)
Please be really, really careful with ABS. The fumes when printing it are extremely noxious. Your printing location needs to have a considerable amount of ventilation.

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Please be really, really careful with ABS. The fumes when printing it are extremely noxious. Your printing location needs to have a considerable amount of ventilation.
Yup, I've noticed 😃
I use QIDI printers (iFast, X-MAX and X-PLUS) and they are all enclosed with built in ventilation, so for now at least it seems that the fumes are barely noticeable but that's for total of 5 printers... let's see what happens when it's 20 printers. I am thinking (but yet to experiment) that maybe an air purifier in the printers room should help.

Bulletproof4age

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Hi Iliya ...quick question. Noticed there are now 2 versions of the screen protectors. Is there any benefit/difference you've seen with the borderless and cutout-less version? Do you have any installed pics? Thanks!

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Hi Iliya ...quick question. Noticed there are now 2 versions of the screen protectors. Is there any benefit/difference you've seen with the borderless and cutout-less version? Do you have any installed pics? Thanks!
Hey!
Unfortunately I don't yet have an actual photo. The v2 ones are basically the same size as v1, with the following differences:
* no black border
* no sensor cutouts
* a bit thicker
* because it's a bit thicker, it's also a tad bit trickier to get the bubbles out but not much. also a bit trickier to install overall because if you hold it at the adhesive you'll end up with visible fingerprints, while the black border one solves that as long as you only hold it at the border.

So far I see most people prefer the ones with black border, not sure if due to habit or lack of better presentation for v2. I am getting an R1T around end of this month so I will make a proper install video and photos of v2.
Sponsored