Sponsored

Confirmed: Production start delayed until June 2021

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Don’t shoot the messenger.

sources have informed CarBuzz that Rivian is now planning for a June 2021 production start date, roughly half-a-year later than planned. That decision comes despite the fact that Rivian currently finds itself in a race with the likes of Bollinger and Lordstown Motors to be the first-to-market with a mass-produced battery-electric pickup truck.
https://carbuzz.com/news/rivians-production-plans-have-been-dealt-a-huge-setback

Updated to share that Rivian has now directly confirmed the June 2021 delay, and is being discussed here:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...s-in-august-2021-pilot-production-starts.631/
Sponsored

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Not directed at the messenger (you) but that site has clickbait tendencies. And without citing an actual source that delayed production date is clickbait and pure rumor to me. We all know there's going to be production delay, but the fact that someone has shared actual timing with them is suspect.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Not directed at the messenger (you) but that site has clickbait tendencies. And without citing an actual source that delayed production date is clickbait and pure rumor to me. We all know there's going to be production delay, but the fact that someone has shared actual timing with them is suspect.
Fair enough. The story was at the top of my Google news feed this morning, and figured I'd share. I tend to agree that anonymous sources can be sketchy. Truly hope that it's not accurate.

Updated the thread title for clarity.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
This should not even be reported on this forum. RJ is not even mentioned in this article let alone anyone else. Fake news.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
This should not even be reported on this forum. RJ is not even mentioned in this article let alone anyone else. Fake news.
Apologies. Didn't realize this forum was only for posting press releases straight from RJ. Had assumed it was about sharing information on a vehicle we are all enthusiastic about.

By the way, you should probably go back and delete this thread you started: www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/report-gm-and-amazon-may-acquire-stake-in-rivian

It's based on anonymous sources and without comment from RJ.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I think it's fine to post anonymous sourced stuff as long as it's obvious that's what it it is.

But it's really hard to set dates at this point. At best their source is only speculating and probably at least a little bit annoyed that they framed it as a definitive "huge setback."

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
....and the reason for this forum is to share information either good or bad,....the more eyes on info the better we can all help to determine the validity of the news/info....

Now I am curious about a few things
  1. Can the R1T and R1S be built at the same time
  2. Does this delay buy time for Rivian to look at some of the other new battery option. (solid state...etc...)
  3. With The recent news on other trucks and SUV’s coming out possibly before the Rivian at lower costs, will it drive the price of the Rivian down to compete or is it still unique enough to hold its price
    1. Exmples: the new Audi SUV coming in at a base of $40,000 but at 0-60mph 6.5 seconds, the MachE, VW, etc... all really not able designed for leve1 one rock climbing...
I guess I am trying to create some positives out of the delay. I am anxious to get the Rivian as my first EV...I have held off buying a new car since plunking down for the reservation back in Dec 2018....I am like a kid waiting for Christmas to come!:idea:

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The CarBuzz piece is worse than clickbait. It attempts to discredit Rivian. It's competitive disinformation and completely bogus.

As for Lmirafuente's questions, yes, the R1T and R1S can be built at the same time and on the same transfer lines. Building different models on the same lines is common in the auto industry, and the R1Ts and R1Ss have a very high percentage of shared parts, components and systems. Bodywise, they're the same from the front grill to the B pillar. So, no problem. But, the Amazon vans will be built on a completely different line.

If production starts in the first quarter or even first half of 2021, there's not enough time to look for other battery options and suppliers. Suppliers and producers/assemblers (Rivian) are locked into long term contracts, and there would be penalties to pay if contracts were broken. Moreover, there's much more demand than supply of batteries. Rivian would be hard pressed to find another supplier and start production in 2021.

At the Mill Valley/SF event, RJ said a well equipped Rivian with a 135 kWH battery and electrochromatic roof would be about $70K. This was first reported by Reuters, I believe, and there's a thread that discusses pricing. This is about $10K less the originally reported pricing. So, extrapolating from this, a 105kWH vehicle would be around $60K, 135 kWH around $70K, and 180kWH around $80K; of course, options increase prices. When you look at what Rivians offer in terms of all around performance, it's not much more or any more expensive than much less capable vehicles.

Once battery production begins to scale, there won't be much of a price difference between ICE and BEV trucks, but there will be performance differences. This assumes ICE vehicles don't receive a lot of government money in the post-pandemic recovery at the expense of BEVs. (There's another thread about this.)

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just wanted to come back quickly to say...

TOLD YOU SO!! :)

Ok, I feel better. Figured some levity would do us all some good.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I received this statement direct from Rivian.

R1T deliveries will begin June 2021. R1S deliveries will begin August 2021.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I received this statement direct from Rivian.

R1T deliveries will begin June 2021. R1S deliveries will begin August 2021.
I received the same email. Not happy about it but understand the situation we are all working under.

Now it becomes a question of R1T or R1S since the delivery times are close enough to wait.

Less than a year to decide!

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Well, the R1S delivery is close enough to wait and, presumably, it benefits from whatever was learned by producing the R1T first. But there are configuration choices that might make the wait for a R1S even longer. For example, two or three row seating, which battery pack, and a much longer roof area in case the removable roof panel option is chosen. Any one of those choices might delay a R1S selection. But, to be fair, there may be choices that delay the delivery of a R1T as well.
Sponsored