Sponsored

Pro tip: Don't leave a seatbelt latched with no one in the truck

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Don't buckle the food. Imagine what the pretensioners will do in case of a mild accident. Not sure hard braking will trigger them.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian really dropped the ball not including a curry hook.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There is no good place for Thai food or Pho in any vehicle. I’ve tried the buckle method, only for it to slide or tip over during a left turn. Or if they didn’t close a container the slope of the seat causes it to leak. Now I use the floor behind the drivers seat and put other items around the food so it can’t move around too much.

Gear tunnel?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There is no good place for Thai food or Pho in any vehicle. I’ve tried the buckle method, only for it to slide or tip over during a left turn. Or if they didn’t close a container the slope of the seat causes it to leak. Now I use the floor behind the drivers seat and put other items around the food so it can’t move around too much.

Gear tunnel?
This is the curry hook in the Polestar. It can fold up into the glove box when the box is open. Maybe it was in Rivian's design before they axed the box. I thought it was weird that they left it floating, but if you move the seat back for a little extra room, it kind of has a gimble effect to it against the g-forces from turning, stopping, and accelerating.
Rivian R1T R1S Pro tip: Don't leave a seatbelt latched with no one in the truck 1674048759669

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This is the curry hook in the Polestar. It can fold up into the glove box when the box is open. Maybe it was in Rivian's design before they axed the box. I thought it was weird that they left it floating, but if you move the seat back for a little extra room, it kind of has a gimble effect to it against the g-forces from turning, stopping, and accelerating.
1674048759669.png
That is f*cking brilliant.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian really needs a way to explicitly power on/off these trucks, at least the option for those of us who want it. It doesn’t require a dedicated switch, just a repurposing of the existing buttons or pedals. The steering wheel buttons on the right side don’t do a damn thing in park. Make a press-and-hold on one of them while in park control power to the truck.
can't you do that with camping mode? I use the power down capability in camping mode to clean the screens in the truck

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
can't you do that with camping mode? I use the power down capability in camping mode to clean the screens in the truck
Sure, but that’s more of a workaround. I’m talking about a daily-usable experience.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Just a little note on the camping mode and screens. They actually aren't really turned off, and items are still selectable if pressed, even when the screen is dark. I found this out while installing my matte screen protector and I kept selecting a different user profile by accident while the screen weas dark...

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Just a little note on the camping mode and screens. They actually aren't really turned off, and items are still selectable if pressed, even when the screen is dark. I found this out while installing my matte screen protector and I kept selecting a different user profile by accident while the screen weas dark...
Not true you have to tell it to stay powered off that way when you touch the screens they wont power back on to get them back on you have to do the break + unlock to get them to come back

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Not true you have to tell it to stay powered off that way when you touch the screens they wont power back on to get them back on you have to do the break + unlock to get them to come back
I will say that I did the install right after Camp Mode came out, and this was not how it worked then. I have not tested since my initial test but hope you are correct and that they have fixed it.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I will say that I did the install right after Camp Mode came out, and this was not how it worked then. I have not tested since my initial test but hope you are correct and that they have fixed it.
I think they have because I used it when I installed my screen protectors as well... However that being said it is not as straight forward as just turning everything off because you can do that and just touching the screen will wake it up again however if you tell it to stay powered off then the screens stay shutdown. But by the sounds of your experience of actually interacting with dark screens I have never seen that....

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

You can turn off the HVAC, unbuckle all seatbelts, close all doors and lock, but the vehicle still isn’t asleep. It takes time, and even then the TCM isn’t sleeping and you can see data xfer happening periodically throughout the day and night.

I’m curious why we can’t truly turn off most of our vehicle. Keep battery conditioning, security, key fob sensor. But I don’t think we need infotainment to always be on. If we do then it’s too tightly coupled with other critical systems.

GolfingR1T

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Picked up Thai food last night, and the order was packed a little too tall for comfort, so I did what any Thai food loving creature would do and buckled it in. I pulled the bag out when I got home and left the passenger seat belt latched.

Fast forward to this morning, I go out and notice the screen is on in truck and climate is running (low 20s F overnight). Get in to the truck and battery is at 11% SoC. Arrived home somewhere between 30-40% last night and didn't plug in, because the Fiancee's car was plugged in for a trip.

Haven't had a chance to verify this is the root cause, but plan to test later this week. Glad I wasn't camping!

Anyone else encountered this?

I left a pet seat latched in the front passenger over the weekend. My battery was low-ish but not like emergency levels. Overnight, the main battery drained to 000 miles and 12v batteries drained to nothing.

I tried to jump the 12v's, both the primary and the secondary (at one point I was jumping both with 2 separate cars!). The screens would come on but no matter what I tried it would not begin to recharge main battery on the Level 2 in my garage. Mobile service came to tow it, not sure how but I could see in the app shortly after it arrived the main battery was charging at 9Kw/hr.

Service telling me it's my fault so I have to pay $930 to replace both the 12v batteries. I've complained to the local service guy, the service call center and my guide. The best so far is the local guy is going to comp the labor piece which is really nice of him, but my view this should be in warranty.

1. How would I know? Any other vehicle I've owned (including EVs like a Chevy Bolt), would not drain the 12v battery when the seatbelt is left plugged in. I do now understand a Rivian is different given the way it is tied to the safety features of the vehicle (i.e. air bag deployment), but again how would I know this as an owner? Even the owner's manual is silent to the fact that an actively buckled seat belt will prevent the vehicle from powering down.

2. There weren't any in-vehicle or in-app warnings. There are no messages on the screens that indicate buckled seat belts will prevent the vehicle from powering down. Nor was there an alert sent to my app that my vehicle's batteries were actively draining down near zero percent.

So really annoying and morale being:

DONT LEAVE THE SEAT BELT BUCKLED IN THE RIVIAN!!!

Development team should really add a notification that your battery is nearing 0% while it's sitting somewhere idle so that you can try to go deal with it!

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Food goes on the floor for me. It’s a lot easier to clean out the rubber mat compared to the vinyl seat.
Food goes in the frunk.
Sponsored