Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hey Guys -

Please don't shoot the messenger, but I believe it's highly likely there will be an SEC investigation or investor lawsuit that accompanies these massive price increases. Here is why:
  • According to details available in the lawsuit that was filed by Laura Schwab one of the many items she advocated for was a price increase. Rivian had internal discussions about the pricing of the vehicle last year and decided at that time not increase pricing. This is prior to the IPO.
  • In the materials for the IPO, one of the primary motivators was the significant book of business that Rivian had. Much of that book of business, it turns out, was likely due to the low pricing of the models that were preordereable.
  • Associated with the IPO were bonuses that were paid out to the key individuals associated with it. I believe this includes both stock options and monetary awards.
  • After completing their employee rollout, they chose to increase pricing, including on those who are multi-year and multi-vehicle preorders. This likely indicates that the entire pricing model was unworkable and seemingly validates the argument put forth in by Laura Schwab.

I can easily see some law firm filing with the argument that investors were significantly misled by Rivian purposefully keeping pricing unrealistically low in order to ensure they had a significant backlog of buyers. These buyers, should they have known the 'true' pricing, would have cancelled their orders en mass which would have affected IPO pricing or the public offering in general.

Don't get me wrong, I am not making the assertion this is the case. but I do think it's a plausible scenario. Sort of a, "let's just get the IPO done and we'll figure it out afterward." situation.

One thing for certain as well, I would love to be Laura's attorney now. These fundamental pricing changes SIGNIFICANTLY bolster her assertions. She seems to have seen it, whereas everyone else missed it, or she was purposefully sidelined as it jeopardized the real goal of an IPO.

Anyway, I'm just some monkey on the internet who both bought into the hype about a vehicle with a 'too good to be true' price and a company with a 'too good to be true' backlog of orders. Feelsbadman.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I guess we all fall into that same category (those who believed), even if we still recognized the R1 was a good value. I think your theory holds a lot of water.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
doubt anything, it did say during the deposit window price is subject to change so doubt anything will come of us ranting haha.
Most def. It wont be about their ability to change pricing, it will be about when they did, why they didn't earlier, and if investors were misled.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Most def. It wont be about their ability to change pricing, it will be about when they did, why they didn't earlier, and if investors were misled.

fair enough yea it will be fun to watch the dumpster fire

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It will be interesting to see what the stock does. Investors may like the price increases. If the preorder drop rate is close to 20% the backlog dollar value stays the same.

A lot of unhappy people here but will be more curious what happens after March 10th and the first 2 qtr reporting for this year….

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

• According to details available in the lawsuit that was filed by Laura Schwab one of the many items she advocated for was a price increase. Rivian had internal discussions about the pricing of the vehicle last year and decided at that time not increase pricing. This is prior to the IPO.
And next time it rains, the water will be wet.

As for timing, my take on all this is, they ran their production ramp and production schedule. The numbers for 2022 didn't come out as they wanted. Since they had enough preorders to last until 2024, they just adjusted the price number to meet their target number, with the assumption that they would lose pre-orders, while still having enough to saturate production for 2022.

Do prices increases suck? Yes. Does it make sense? Yes.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
They could easily argue supply chain issues i think but I am not a lawyer.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
They could easily argue supply chain issues i think but I am not a lawyer.
Yeah - but they could have also adjusted the pricing based on inflation or supply chain issues prior to the IPO too.

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah - but they could have also adjusted the pricing based on inflation or supply chain issues prior to the IPO too.
Maybe they thought it would not last this long, they are a relatively new company.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I can guarantee that they already went through this with their legal counsel and probably went the outside shop consultation route to understand their vulnerability to something like this before making the decision. No way they made this decision without doing their due diligence considering the potential ramifications would more than overcome the potential benefits for them.

If they thought they had any vulnerability at all, they would have simply made the price change only applicable going forward. The additional revenue they will gain from making this move retroactive would not be worth the legal trouble if there is a case to be made.

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
Hey Guys -

Please don't shoot the messenger, but I believe it's highly likely there will be an SEC investigation or investor lawsuit that accompanies these massive price increases. Here is why:
  • In the materials for the IPO, one of the primary motivators was the significant book of business that Rivian had. Much of that book of business, it turns out, was likely due to the low pricing of the models that were preordereable.
  • Associated with the IPO were bonuses that were paid out to the key individuals associated with it. I believe this includes both stock options and monetary awards.
  • After completing their employee rollout, they chose to increase pricing, including on those who are multi-year and multi-vehicle preorders. This likely indicates that the entire pricing model was unworkable and seemingly validates the argument put forth in by Laura Schwab.

I can easily see some law firm filing with the argument that investors were significantly misled by Rivian purposefully keeping pricing unrealistically low in order to ensure they had a significant backlog of buyers. These buyers, should they have known the 'true' pricing, would have cancelled their orders en mass which would have affected IPO pricing or the public offering in general.

Don't get me wrong, I am not making the assertion this is the case. but I do think it's a plausible scenario. Sort of a, "let's just get the IPO done and we'll figure it out afterward." situation.

One thing for certain as well, I would love to be Laura's attorney now. These fundamental pricing changes SIGNIFICANTLY bolster her assertions. She seems to have seen it, whereas everyone else missed it, or she was purposefully sidelined as it jeopardized the real goal of an IPO.

Anyway, I'm just some monkey on the internet who both bought into the hype about a vehicle with a 'too good to be true' price and a company with a 'too good to be true' backlog of orders. Feelsbadman.
These fools just added $15,000 to the price of my truck. They can shove it, battery and all.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Though on a side note I really would like to see what the resolution to her lawsuit is

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Though on a side note I really would like to see what the resolution to her lawsuit is
Settled in arbitration, meaning it will never be public.
Sponsored