Sponsored

Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few more pics. Notice the "Long Way Up" sticker to the right of the R1T badge on the back of the white truck.

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Has anyone else wondered with all these R1T sightings, what's going on with the R1S? Do they have any vehicles out there being tested as well???

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has anyone else wondered with all these R1T sightings, what's going on with the R1S? Do they have any vehicles out there being tested as well???
I've wondered if there are others, but not concerned with testing per se due to the common platform (other than wheelbase).

Can't wait to see more preproduction R1S & colors though!

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah, that's the biggest thing I can see being tested, but I'm hoping all of the internal mechanisms would be fully worked out in real day use to see if what seems like a good idea actually make sense.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Can't wait to see more preproduction R1S & colors though!
Yeah, I'm especially anxious to see the impact of the extra 2.3".

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Good morning.

From some new posts on Instagram it looks like the trucks are now in Guatemala at a Taco Bell....because why eat authentic, when you can eat American worm dirt. :like:

Courtesy of Andre Photography 502 and Carslovergt on Instagram

Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! IMG_0057

Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! IMG_0059

killaz05

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Mustang, 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Looking great out there, hope they get the lights dialed in as I see some are out. Would have been nice to see a winch compatible front bumper but maybe the aftermarket will take care of that.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Looking great out there, hope they get the lights dialed in as I see some are out. Would have been nice to see a winch compatible front bumper but maybe the aftermarket will take care of that.
Great catch on the lights. So busy looking at the trucks to notice the deficiencies. I see you are in Tampa and somewhat new. Have you checked out the Florida thread?

killaz05

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Mustang, 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Not yet but will look into it! Thanks :)

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I haven't noticed this before, but the door handles on the white truck appear to be extended out on one side when parked. Perhaps they are changing to a self-presenting type of door handle rather than one that you push one side in to get it to pop out.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven't noticed this before, but the door handles on the white truck appear to be extended out on one side when parked. Perhaps they are changing to a self-presenting type of door handle rather than one that you push one side in to get it to pop out.
Good eye!

Also, did anyone else notice the damage or something hanging out around the right rear taillight of the white truck?

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Also, did anyone else notice the damage or something hanging out around the right rear taillight of the white truck?
I noticed both the door handles and the thing hanging out of the tailgate...At least that is what it looks like to me...as it seems there is a shadow of the rope or cord, whatever it is just below it.

I am not sure about the door handles. I have physically opened the doors on the silver demo truck and they were not electronically actuated. Maybe they are trying something new. Honestly I hope not. I like the KISS method for something like that. The door handles on the Model S are $1000/per although they have made minor changes to increase reliability over the years and other companies have made electrical pigtails that aren't as brittle as the ones Tesla originally used in the handles. I like simple.

The more concerning things is what @killaz05 pointed out. There are at least 4 lights out in the nighttime shot. I know that they are beating the hell out of these trucks so I there is the possibility of busted lights...that is one of my biggest pet peeves though...newer vehicles that already have burnt out lights. I assume they will be addressing this with their supplier.

Nordic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, BMW C650 Sport
While I agree with the KISS approach, I wonder how easy it would be to push them open when they are iced up. I do hope they have tested this if that handle will be the final version.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

While I agree with the KISS approach, I wonder how easy it would be to push them open when they are iced up. I do hope they have tested this if that handle will be the final version.
They stated that the door handles on the 2 test mules WERE NOT production intent...At least that was back in September, once Rivian realized that their trucks being in Argentina were no longer a secret and when people started freaking out via e-mail that the steering wheel, windows, door handles, killswitch were not what they were hoping Rivian was sticking with moving forward.
Sponsored