Sponsored

Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego!

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

^ probably configurable.

Official response from Rivian in case ya'll don't read your emails. Seems they're reading these forums :wave:

screenshot-2019-09-03-09-17-41.png
Beat me to it! They are definitely reading our forum and the blogsphere.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Now I want to know where the R1S will be showing up, and what colors we might see!

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Now I want to know where the R1S will be showing up, and what colors we might see!
Hopefully they mix it up and do some warm weather testing somewhere and highlight some different colors. Wink Wink, Rivian! Or maybe bring the truck back to RJ's hometown and do some Tropical Storm/Hurricane testing...js

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully they mix it up and do some warm weather testing somewhere and highlight some different colors. Wink Wink, Rivian! Or maybe bring the truck back to RJ's hometown and do some Tropical Storm/Hurricane testing...js
It's triple digit heat right now in TX, and I'd really like to see some empirical data on the roof options for hotter climates!

krcossin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Suburban LTZ + 19 Volvo XC40
I applaud Rivian for not following the old tried and true method of using disguises during testing. All of their "development vehicles" being caught in the wild at near production ready appearance will only enhance our interests and generate more excitement, as opposed to the normal keep in hiding using camouflage and graphics and engineers that fear being seen at gas stations and on the road. This will spark conversations and spread knowledge of the brand. I look forward to any information released on these extreme tests.
I can't help wonder what is in the support enclosed trailer. Has to be wheels/tires, a lot of tools, suspension parts, a large capacity generator....

Sponsored

Nevadagarth

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Durango Citadel
^ probably configurable.

Official response from Rivian in case ya'll don't read your emails. Seems they're reading these forums :wave:

screenshot-2019-09-03-09-17-41.png
I love the three specific things listed (steering wheel, door handles, interior) because the ones shown at the shows are clearly better. I understand having to do a few exterior tweaks to meet safety standards but I would think most of those had previously been worked out.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I applaud Rivian for not following the old tried and true method of using disguises during testing.
I don't think it was necessarily done for the purpose of disguise, but Rivian has had a test fleet of 150 vehicles on the road for some months with bodies of the Ford 150. That's a pretty good disguise . . . although it did cause some confusion when seen plugged into charging stations.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Rivian has had a test fleet of 150 vehicles on the road for some months
I knew Rivian had at least one test vehicle with a Ford 150 body but I do not recall reading how many. I just assumed they probably had a few others but 150 of them?! Do you happen to recall where you read that?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I knew Rivian had at least one test vehicle with a Ford 150 body but I do not recall reading how many. I just assumed they probably had a few others but 150 of them?! Do you happen to recall where you read that?
I thought I remembered reading about 150 test vehicles on the road, but your question made me realize I must have conflated that with the model number of the Ford. So I stand corrected and apologize for sowing confusion.

Here's the best I can do in ferreting out an actual number:

In an interview with The Detroit Free Press about using the Ford bodies, Scaringe said, "they're all over the place, but nobody knows. We're very quiet about that."

A March 2019 Insideevs article said there are "apparently dozens" of F150 bodies being used to test Rivian skateboards.

A Jalopnik article said, "in a back room at the headquarters, sections of not just F-150s but SUVs from other companies and the parts that should provide the extra capability Rivian is promising, such as quad motors to power the wheels, were on display. That area, however, was off limits for cameras."

Does that latter quote suggest there might be some disguised R1S skateboards also plying the roads?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Does that latter quote suggest there might be some disguised R1S skateboards also plying the roads?
I would put money on it. Rivian doesn't seem like a company that wouldn't fully test their platforms.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Here's a tweet from today from one of Rivian's communications team members. She's making it pretty clear these "development" models shouldn't be taken for what the eventual production models will be. OK, message received.

Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 10.43.18 AM

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Great to see them out there testing in the wild!

I do not like the rear end as much. Looks like the departure angle took a performance hit. Hoping it is just the picture angles.

Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! RIVIAN9
Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! Suana CSE2_picture

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I do not like the rear end as much. Looks like the departure angle took a performance hit. Hoping it is just the picture angles.
I think I preferred the showroom rear end too, I don't want the R1T turning into a square F150. I also share your departure angle concerns. I found this side profile picture, which I think makes me feel a bit better:
Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! Screenshot_20190905-135227

(Sorry for poor resolution, this is a screenshot that was cropped from Instagram and I couldn't find the original source)
Sponsored