Sponsored

Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego!

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Anyone know what the round thing on the rack above the bed on the white R1T is?
I am going to go with some type of satellite receiver/transmitter. There will definitely be areas where only SAT phones will work. Which could be good news so the forum member on here that was curious about HAM radio and other COMM type hookups.
Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
SpinDoc7, I am not referring to the flip-down attach points on the front and rear of the truck. If you look at the pic of the white and grey close-up 3/4 view, you can see fixed black attach points sticking out from the front bumper. and the inside of the tailgate had the steps too. I am not sure of the feasibility of reaching the rear steps with the departure angle of the rear bumper being as angled as it was.

Yes. Definitely a split 3rd brake light. Unfortunately i have no images of the 3rd brake light on from either NYC or Denver to know if this is a change. I do like the look of the split though, especially the thin LED strips that they are.

Here are a few of my disappointments in the Pre-production vs. Concept:
- The flip-down front and rear hooks are gone.
- The door handles have changed.
- The steering wheels leaves much to be desired when compared to the Concept version. I loved the simplicity with only 2 scroll wheels and the overall design of the concept. Alexa integration shouldn't require a steering wheel with 16 buttons. I understand Alexa isn't for everyone.
- The panel gaps especially at the hood (SpinDoc7 post from Autoblog.com.ar) not as tight as concept.
- Ewan McGregor gets to drive the truck before I do...must be nice to be Obi Wan Kenobi.

I can't make a Cons list without a PROS list.
- I really like the R1T badge. As a Nissan GTR fan and as a previous post stated, it is very reminiscent of the GTR badging.
- The 3/4 windows in the rear doors is gone! Thank you! I understand why it has to be there in older vehicles but we live in a day and age where parts can be made slimmer in order to accommodate a door handle and a full width retractable window for the rear seat occupants.
- COLORS. Granted it is only a total of 4 so far, but we get just a taste of what we could possibly find out from the 13 September event in ATL. White, Silver(Concept), Green(R1S Concept), and the flat grey. The white actually doesn't look as boring as I thought it would be with the DRL on. I thought it would get lost in all the white.
- As I previously mentioned in the forums when the Rivian website was updated, the charge port door changed from the passenger to the driver's side.
- You can finally see the removable center section of rear fascia where I can only assume is hiding a hitch unlike the concept so those of us with towing in mind know what to expect.

I think that is it. Overall NONE of these changes are dealbreakers for me. If anything, I am even more excited about the truck and it's capabilities. The fact that they are taking 6 brand new All-Electric vehicles on a 17,000 mile expedition from Argentina to California is awesome. I will be looking forward to their posts on social media and eventually watching the documentary once it is released.
I noticed the panel gap on the hood too. Glad I wasn’t the only one.

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
I plan on attending the Atlanta event and will try to ask some questions around these “new” prototypes as well as the Long Way up Challenge. Will share what I find out.

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
I noticed the panel gap on the hood too. Glad I wasn’t the only one.
The panel gap on the hood of the grey one looks better than the white. The hood on the white one just seems to not fit very neatly at all.

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
Trim/rocker panel below doors is a touch different. Is it too much to ask that these areas be a bit beefier, like a rock slider, steel or thick aluminum, to afford some sort of body protection while off road?

Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! rivianfirstdeliverynews

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
The steering wheel went from being one of the handsomest units I've seen in a vehicle to one of the cheapest-looking ones I've seen since the 1980's. What in the devil happened? Is this a temporary wheel because the vendor has not yet ramped up? Did they fire their interior design staff?

If that's a harbinger of other interior changes we're going to see as the vehicle makes its way to production, I may drop out of the reservation queue.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Sorry, I was trying to post the English translation. Seems it reverted back to the original. Maybe someone else can fix it. Photos and video are great!
My Spanish is non existent but I can make out that two Rivians and 4 Harleys are undertaking an electric journey from this town across all of America implying that they will end up in the Aleutians somewhere. ??? Actually it goes on to say that the goal is to break a previously set record from this town to LA.

A Hawk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i8
Trim/rocker panel below doors is a touch different. Is it too much to ask that these areas be a bit beefier, like a rock slider, steel or thick aluminum, to afford some sort of body protection while off road?
My guess is they'll sell rock rails / sliders as optional accessories, like Jeep does. There's lots of money to be made from accessories and after sales parts.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
The steering wheel went from being one of the handsomest units I've seen in a vehicle to one of the cheapest-looking ones I've seen since the 1980's. What in the devil happened? Is this a temporary wheel because the vendor has not yet ramped up? Did they fire their interior design staff?

If that's a harbinger of other interior changes we're going to see as the vehicle makes its way to production, I may drop out of the reservation queue.
Maybe these are meant to be more utilitarian preproduction models. Hope so.

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe these are meant to be more utilitarian preproduction models. Hope so.
I believe that’s the case given what they’re about to try, but I plan on asking about them in ATL.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That steering wheel isn't nearly as cool as the concept. Aesthetically, I think there are a few regressions on the interior.
I was wondering how the various vehicle functions would be controlled. I agree that it doesn't look as attractive, but I'll take function over form any day.

Also wondering if airbag might have anything to do with the change. Totally agree the show prototype looks much better though...

Last edited: