Sponsored

Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego!

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Last edited:

Sponsored

Nevadagarth

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Durango Citadel
I agree with previous posts, the concept steering wheel fits the look and upscale feel of the vehicle more. The pictured steering wheel is very blah.

Nevadagarth

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Durango Citadel
I do like the pictured rear better than the pre-production version. It looks beefier but I would like to see the rear hooks in the final production version.

It looks like front hooks were added.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I do like the pictured rear better than the pre-production version. It looks beefier but I would like to see the rear hooks in the final production version.

It looks like front hooks were added.
There are definitely some tweaks going on. I do hope the hooks make it back or are at least an option. I agree on the front hooks. Those are new. I am sure there are other things but it'll take time to find them all.

Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Sorry, I was trying to post the English translation. Seems it reverted back to the original. Maybe someone else can fix it. Photos and video are great!

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
There are definitely some tweaks going on. I do hope the hooks make it back or are at least an option. I agree on the front hooks. Those are new. I am sure there are other things but it'll take time to find them all.
Front tow hooks were on the concept model. I too, hope the rear step-up ones return. Or there’s some other step up feature we’re not seeing.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Front tow hooks were on the concept model. I too, hope the rear step-up ones return. Or there’s some other step up feature we’re not seeing.
SpinDoc7, I am not referring to the flip-down attach points on the front and rear of the truck. If you look at the pic of the white and grey close-up 3/4 view, you can see fixed black attach points sticking out from the front bumper. and the inside of the tailgate had the steps too. I am not sure of the feasibility of reaching the rear steps with the departure angle of the rear bumper being as angled as it was.

"Dual" third brake lights?
Yes. Definitely a split 3rd brake light. Unfortunately i have no images of the 3rd brake light on from either NYC or Denver to know if this is a change. I do like the look of the split though, especially the thin LED strips that they are.

Here are a few of my disappointments in the Pre-production vs. Concept:
- The flip-down front and rear hooks are gone.
- The door handles have changed.
- The steering wheels leaves much to be desired when compared to the Concept version. I loved the simplicity with only 2 scroll wheels and the overall design of the concept. Alexa integration shouldn't require a steering wheel with 16 buttons. I understand Alexa isn't for everyone.
- The panel gaps especially at the hood (SpinDoc7 post from Autoblog.com.ar) not as tight as concept.
- Ewan McGregor gets to drive the truck before I do...must be nice to be Obi Wan Kenobi.

I can't make a Cons list without a PROS list.
- I really like the R1T badge. As a Nissan GTR fan and as a previous post stated, it is very reminiscent of the GTR badging.
- The 3/4 windows in the rear doors is gone! Thank you! I understand why it has to be there in older vehicles but we live in a day and age where parts can be made slimmer in order to accommodate a door handle and a full width retractable window for the rear seat occupants.
- COLORS. Granted it is only a total of 4 so far, but we get just a taste of what we could possibly find out from the 13 September event in ATL. White, Silver(Concept), Green(R1S Concept), and the flat grey. The white actually doesn't look as boring as I thought it would be with the DRL on. I thought it would get lost in all the white.
- As I previously mentioned in the forums when the Rivian website was updated, the charge port door changed from the passenger to the driver's side.
- You can finally see the removable center section of rear fascia where I can only assume is hiding a hitch unlike the concept so those of us with towing in mind know what to expect.

I think that is it. Overall NONE of these changes are dealbreakers for me. If anything, I am even more excited about the truck and it's capabilities. The fact that they are taking 6 brand new All-Electric vehicles on a 17,000 mile expedition from Argentina to California is awesome. I will be looking forward to their posts on social media and eventually watching the documentary once it is released.

Last edited:

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Awesome!
I’ve enjoyed their long way round/down documentaries so even more looking forward to this one!
Do you think we’ll see Rivian to Harley charging? Range of the Harley seems to be 140 miles in the city, so maybe a third of the Rivian.
Anyone know what the round thing on the rack above the bed on the white R1T is?
Sponsored