Sponsored

Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego!

Montiggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
SpinDoc7, I am not referring to the flip-down attach points on the front and rear of the truck. If you look at the pic of the white and grey close-up 3/4 view, you can see fixed black attach points sticking out from the front bumper. and the inside of the tailgate had the steps too. I am not sure of the feasibility of reaching the rear steps with the departure angle of the rear bumper being as angled as it was.

Yes. Definitely a split 3rd brake light. Unfortunately i have no images of the 3rd brake light on from either NYC or Denver to know if this is a change. I do like the look of the split though, especially the thin LED strips that they are.

Here are a few of my disappointments in the Pre-production vs. Concept:
- The flip-down front and rear hooks are gone.
- The door handles have changed.
- The steering wheels leaves much to be desired when compared to the Concept version. I loved the simplicity with only 2 scroll wheels and the overall design of the concept. Alexa integration shouldn't require a steering wheel with 16 buttons. I understand Alexa isn't for everyone.
- The panel gaps especially at the hood (SpinDoc7 post from Autoblog.com.ar) not as tight as concept.
- Ewan McGregor gets to drive the truck before I do...must be nice to be Obi Wan Kenobi.

I can't make a Cons list without a PROS list.
- I really like the R1T badge. As a Nissan GTR fan and as a previous post stated, it is very reminiscent of the GTR badging.
- The 3/4 windows in the rear doors is gone! Thank you! I understand why it has to be there in older vehicles but we live in a day and age where parts can be made slimmer in order to accommodate a door handle and a full width retractable window for the rear seat occupants.
- COLORS. Granted it is only a total of 4 so far, but we get just a taste of what we could possibly find out from the 13 September event in ATL. White, Silver(Concept), Green(R1S Concept), and the flat grey. The white actually doesn't look as boring as I thought it would be with the DRL on. I thought it would get lost in all the white.
- As I previously mentioned in the forums when the Rivian website was updated, the charge port door changed from the passenger to the driver's side.
- You can finally see the removable center section of rear fascia where I can only assume is hiding a hitch unlike the concept so those of us with towing in mind know what to expect.

I think that is it. Overall NONE of these changes are dealbreakers for me. If anything, I am even more excited about the truck and it's capabilities. The fact that they are taking 6 brand new All-Electric vehicles on a 17,000 mile expedition from Argentina to California is awesome. I will be looking forward to their posts on social media and eventually watching the documentary once it is released.
I was wondering about the tow hitch. The way the rear curves up seems weird to have a hitch installed afterwards. You're saying it's probably hidden?
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I was wondering about the tow hitch. The way the rear curves up seems weird to have a hitch installed afterwards. You're saying it's probably hidden?
Yes, there will be a removable cover for hitch receiver access in production vehicles.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Yes. Similar to other high end vehicles. Throw the cover back on when not in use....or leave the cover off and the hitch in place like most, wrecking shins in parking lots as a favorite past time / lessens vehicle damage for your truck but detroys front end of the offender...

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
I think the hooks are gone because they freighted it down there and they need some hard point hooks the would hold the truck more securely, just a guess.

Sponsored

RJ Rogers

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1984 Suzuki Sierra
Occupation
High School Student
From looking around I’ve found Rivian has more than the three R1Ts we’ve seen and has been hiding some of these other concepts within view. The first image below is a screenshot from Rivian’s “The Clean Escape” video and the second ones from their website. In both photos you can see the vehicles shown don’t have the rear tow hooks like those of the truck currently touring the U.S. The rear bumpers on these trucks are still different to those of the two currently in South America.

Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! AEC193DD-6193-4CB0-91A4-798F9580474D

Rivian R1T R1S Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego! 2BDCADAB-2AF7-44E8-BAF8-498CEFCBD606

Last edited:

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

From looking around I’ve found Rivian has more than the three R1Ts we’ve seen and has been hiding some of these other concepts within view. The first image below is a screenshot from Rivian’s “The Clean Escape” video and the second ones from their website. In both photos you can see the vehicles shown don’t have the rear tow hooks like those of the truck currently touring the U.S. The rear bumpers on these trucks are still different to those of the two currently in South America.

AEC193DD-6193-4CB0-91A4-798F9580474D.png

2BDCADAB-2AF7-44E8-BAF8-498CEFCBD606.jpeg
Those images look too much like CGI. In the beach photo, the tires are suspiciously clean after having driven on sand. On the street photo, it's too soon to have fall colors and leaves on the ground for that to have been taken this year, meaning that could only have been filmed last fall before the reveal of the initial concept, or is more likely CGI.

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Those images look too much like CGI. In the beach photo, the tires are suspiciously clean after having driven on sand. On the street photo, it's too soon to have fall colors and leaves on the ground for that to have been taken this year, meaning that could only have been filmed last fall before the reveal of the initial concept, or is more likely CGI.
I think those are grabs from the ‘The Clean Escape’ video. Makes it less likely to be CGI, but it is an old video; published in November ‘18.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There has to be charging capability in one of the companion vehicles or trailers, and I'm wondering if they're rotating the 4 Harleys for the 2 riders.

Charging off the Rivians is a definite possibility, but I'm guessing there is other charging capacity/capability with the group as well.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cavahue means that they are over 1200 miles in...