Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hello,

A couple of question about how preordering works, if you don't mind helping out...

1) Is the $7500 government rebate for a <$80,000 vehicle based on base MSRP or price as optioned? As in, in order to get the rebate, do I have to keep my optioned truck below $80,000?

2) When preordering, is the option load you choose final? Of you can make changes when your time slot comes up?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Currently you are not preordering, but simply putting a deposit to get a place in line. You can change your configuration daily if you want until a guide contacts you to officially lock in your order.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

1) Is the $7500 government rebate for a <$80,000 vehicle based on base MSRP or price as optioned? As in, in order to get the rebate, do I have to keep my optioned truck below $80,000?
MSRP is the base price plus all options. Even the accessories you order can appear on the window sticker. If you come close to the $80K limit, then take off anything you an order as an AFTER market accessory. That would be things like the cargo crossbars, roof top tent, charger. I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible yet, but you may be able to oder the spare tire after purchase (thats $800 on the R1T).

OP
OP

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
MSRP is the base price plus all options. Even the accessories you order can appear on the window sticker. If you come close to the $80K limit, then take off anything you an order as an AFTER market accessory. That would be things like the cargo crossbars, roof top tent, charger. I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible yet, but you may be able to oder the spare tire after purchase (thats $800 on the R1T).
So, to confirm, the as optioned price must be below $80,000 to get the $7500 rebate?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Currently, that is correct (based on the bill being discussed). After the political shenanigans are done, the IRS will have to interpret how it will be applied.

Just be aware that if someone takes delivery on January 1, the tax laws will not be finalized for the year.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Perfect, thanks!

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Going along with that, is the destination charge and or the sales tax included with the MSRP?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

So, to confirm, the as optioned price must be below $80,000 to get the $7500 rebate?
I believe that is going to be the case. MSRP is whatā€™s on the sticker. Options are always on the sticker.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Going along with that, is the destination charge and or the sales tax included with the MSRP?
No. Even though the destination charge is on the sticker, it is not MSRP. If you look at the a sticker, youā€™ll see MSRP then youā€™ll see destination listed below it. Also, sales tax is not part of the equation here.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Currently, that is correct (based on the bill being discussed). After the political shenanigans are done, the IRS will have to interpret how it will be applied.

Just be aware that if someone takes delivery on January 1, the tax laws will not be finalized for the year.
Thatā€˜s correct. We donā€™t even know if this bill will be passed. There is decent chance it wonā€™t.
Sponsored