Sponsored

Pre-IPO "Quiet Period" and (lack of) Announcements

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Far be it from me to defend Rivian's frustrating and opaque comms strategy.

But I wonder if the silence from them is due at least in part to their IPO filing, which prohibits public statements touting their business until post-IPO. If they've filed, they're in the so-called quiet period and are pretty constrained to stick to what's in their registration statements. So - though it would be out of character to start communicating more - it's not the time for big announcements about delivery timing and readiness.

But I'm not an IPO lawyer so I don't know what types of disclosures, particularly to customers who are waiting for products they've ordered, might be appropriate within the quiet period. I'd expect Rivian to err on the side of caution on this as the IPO has to be top priority for everyone there right now.
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If that is the case, then Rivian picked a really bad time to start delivering and having an IPO just around the corner.

DocAdvocate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a Rivian
You’re correct. Being in IPO mode definitely makes them on high alert status for saying/doing things that can conflict with that.

OP
OP
paariv

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If that is the case, then Rivian picked a really bad time to start delivering and having an IPO just around the corner.
You got that right!

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

But I wonder if the silence from them is due at least in part to their IPO filing, which prohibits public statements touting their business until post-IPO. If they've filed, they're in the so-called quiet period and are pretty constrained to stick to what's in their registration statements. So - though it would be out of character to start communicating more - it's not the time for big announcements about delivery timing and readiness.

But I'm not an IPO lawyer so I don't know what types of disclosures, particularly to customers who are waiting for products they've ordered, might be appropriate within the quiet period. I'd expect Rivian to err on the side of caution on this as the IPO has to be top priority for everyone there right now.
Having gone through this at Dropbox I can confirm that you might be onto something here. It's a very awkward time for the company and its employees and EVERYTHING must be carefully curated for a time. information (even internally) is VERY locked down, so it may not even be about people being coy for the sake of it, likely only a very small group of people at the top know what's going on and need to control it for a time so those below simply don't know.

I also agree it's unfortunate timing in some ways but some of this was likely in motion prior to the most recent delivery delays which likely would have aligned with an optimal window of positive buzz around the products and a little time under their belt getting deliveries out the door - all good things for your valuation and stock price - but as it is, I feel like they just had to make the call to roll with it and it is what it is.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

particularly to customers potential customers who are waiting for products they've ordered given an indication of interest of potentially ordering by posting a refundable deposit.

OP
OP
paariv

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
particularly to customers potential customers who are waiting for products they've ordered given an indication of interest of potentially ordering by posting a refundable deposit.
Thanks for the incredibly valuable contribution, Captain Pedantic. Looks like I have another person for the ignore list.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Thanks for the incredibly valuable contribution, Captain Pedantic. Looks like I have another person for the ignore list.
Just trying to keep things tight, lest they wander and take on lives of their own.

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
Just my perspective:

We'll find out "soon" enough what's in the S-1 Registration Statement - there will be plenty of details to mull over. Once that is made public, there will also be a huge push on getting orders out the door - analysts and others will be looking at numbers and RIVN (or ticker "SOON") will have want to set targets/beat targets for the analysts, etc. I think it is good for the customer/potential customer that they are doing the IPO - it will add pressure to get cars shipped.

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
R1S deliveries starting December at the earliest.
48,000 and change preorders of r1 vehicles
Sponsored