Sponsored

Pre-conditioning: Why no manual start for chargers that aren't on the map?

MookieMV

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Artist
When I program a charging stop into the map the R1T begins "preparing the battery for charging" about fifteen minutes before my stop. But most of the DC fast chargers I use aren't on the map. Every time I go to charge it takes about 10-15 minutes before the charging speed gets up to where it should be. Obviously, there should be a way to begin pre-conditioning manually, but I can't find that option. All I see is a battery charging schedule for at-home charging but useless when I'm on the road. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

Scottm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
physician
Can you give an example of a charger that isn’t showing up? Are you sure you set the filters correctly on the nav? I do agree that it would be nice to have a manual precondition option.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There's not a manual override yet.

If your battery temp is below 50F and you have Regen Braking Assist turned on, turn it off 10-20 minutes before getting to the charging station. If you can get there with the motors still hot and the battery just getting to 50+F, it'll give you a good head start.

OP
OP

MookieMV

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Artist
Can you give an example of a charger that isn’t showing up? Are you sure you set the filters correctly on the nav? I do agree that it would be nice to have a manual precondition option.
Most of the chargers I use, either in NYC or on I-95 in CT, don't show up. For example, none of these do... Revel Superhubs — Fast EV Charging (gorevel.com) It's actually surprising how few of them actually do show up. Though maybe not if Rivian is only getting their info from a few companies.

Scottm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
physician
Most of the chargers I use, either in NYC or on I-95 in CT, don't show up. For example, none of these do... Revel Superhubs — Fast EV Charging (gorevel.com) It's actually surprising how few of them actually do show up. Though maybe not if Rivian is only getting their info from a few companies.
Yeah, seems like a big omission. I wonder if that’s a mapbox thing or if Rivian adds chargers from their end. I have had a good response from mapbox when I have reported errors with the nav system - they usually fix it within a week.

Sponsored

Hercules10

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I tried the software on a trip from San Antonio to Dallas and back. I found the mapping software is horrible. 1. On the trip it sent me to a lvl 2 charger when a lvl 3 charger is a mile away along the same route. 2. Electrify America closed a site and the software kept sending me back to that site, even when I cancel it on the screen. 3.Does not know when Interstates are shut down. Android Auto was telling me to go another way. Rivian mapping sent me right into the mess. 4. Can't map to my home that I have lived in for 4 years. Please bring on AA and Apple Car Play

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Being that charging is the biggest obstacle for a majority of people not having access to their home charger you would think…..fwiw at least they added preconditioning. Hopefully in the next update :like: