Practically The Same Size?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
As a MINI owner myself, I hope the R1T is a lot more fun to drive. That said, I really really want an all-electric MINI convertible with dual motor AWD, 300 mile range and 0-60 in 3.5s or better. That would be too fun to pass up. I was so looking forward to the electric MINI, but they completely botched it. :(

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
As a MINI owner myself, I hope the R1T is a lot more fun to drive. That said, I really really want an all-electric MINI convertible with dual motor AWD, 300 mile range and 0-60 in 3.5s or better. That would be too fun to pass up. I was so looking forward to the electric MINI, but they completely botched it. :(
My brother just got one. Same green, even. He called me from his first charging station charge, while parked next to a Rivian. I lol'd.

I agree they botched it.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Too bad that R1T wasn't Forest Green to nearly match your MINI.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
My brother just got one. Same green, even. He called me from his first charging station charge, while parked next to a Rivian. I lol'd.

I agree they botched it.
Apart from the low range (which makes sense given the physical constraints of the vehicle), what else did they botch? Genuinely curious as a former MINI owner.

Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Apart from the low range (which makes sense given the physical constraints of the vehicle), what else did they botch? Genuinely curious as a former MINI owner.
It's just not on par with what an electric Mini *should* be able to provide, given current technology and even given the Mini's small size constraints. Which really stems from it really being an ICE conversion, not a purpose-built EV.

OP
OP
Sully151

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I wouldn't say they botched this car at all. It is great for its intended purpose.

After rebates and incentives, I will pay about $23k for the car including tax, title, and license.

For that, I get 0-60 in the mid 6 second range and better handling than the ice Cooper S.

While it is stated to only get 115 miles of range, they grossly underestimated. I drive 80 miles a day in a combination of open freeway, stop and go, and suburban driving and end my day with over 40%. This is driving in standard mode (not Green or Green Plus) and driving mildly spirited. If I drove conservatively and in Green mode, I could get 140-150 miles.

Every night, I come home put the car to bed and because of a 32KWH battery and MINI's BMS, I charge to a 100% in a couple of hours. Idon't need to worry about only charging to 80%.

Would 300 mile be nice? Sure, but at what cost? both financially and in weight fo the vehicle which will certainly hurt the "Mini-ness" of the car.

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
You know the owner of that R1T walked out of the store and thought “who on Earth parked next to me way over there?”

OP
OP
Sully151

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
They parked by me! Well, close to me. I moved the mini over a space for the picture. Wanted to send it to my wife. My wife asked if I waited until the Rivian owner came out to talk to them.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Just about every review I watched on the electric Mini thought it was great, possibly better than the ICE versions. The battery is small (for a lot of people), but a larger, heavier battery would take away the fun characteristics of the car. I haven't driven one, but was considering one, but 35 miles each way to work made me wonder. 300 mile range would mean 3 times the weight of the battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sully151

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Just about every review I watched on the electric Mini thought it was great, possibly better than the ICE versions. The battery is small (for a lot of people), but a larger, heavier battery would take away the fun characteristics of the car. I haven't driven one, but was considering one, but 35 miles each way to work made me wonder. 300 mile range would mean 3 times the weight of the battery.
I drove 95 miles today. A mix of freeway and suburban roads. I ended the day with 30% battery. I drove in standard mode with the AC on and a combination of mellow efficient driving and more spirited.

Drive one and see how you like it.

Rivian R1T R1S Practically The Same Size? 8BF1A586-3BF5-4C6D-85A5-BC577264E283

Rivian R1T R1S Practically The Same Size? 248C9C67-6062-4B81-889B-09E35A9BBA21

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
It’s the right car for what it’s meant to be. Shorter commutes and urban areas. My wife has one and this thing is fun. Drives like an electric go cart and gives you approx. 125-130 miles in the city. I’m 6’7 and I can comfortably fit in it. Easy to find parking spots and tons of fun zipping around corners and it’s pretty cheap especially in areas with extra state credits. Cost me $22k after federal and CO EV credit and we have a free charger by our shopping mall so we barely ever pay for fuel between charging it there or at my work plus the added benefit of very low maintenance costs (they are included the first 3 years). It’s a fun little car when you use it for what it’s made for…we will probably keep it as our daughters first car in a few years…also comes really well equipped in the base model…
Sponsored