Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

So I now have two chips through clear coat and paint. One from a rock, on the hood. And the second from a shopping cart on passenger door. Both now expose bare metal and the cart left a small dent.

At this rate, my launch green will be primer gray in a year.

I am shocked how weak the clear coat and paint are. I have other vehicles that can buff out scratches. Not the Rivian.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Tell me about it. I drove it a week before my PPF arrived. Already had a tiny chip on the driver side headlight. The front end is so vertical that anything that hits it is sure to chip.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yep. Ive got enough pinstriping on the side of my truck in the clear coat that when it's dusty it looks terrible.

Rivian R1T R1S PPF is a necessity D41C631F-32E8-40A0-8912-E119CBA3DBC4

Bruins06

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper
I got a small chip ( suspected from a rock on the FWY) within hours of owning mine. I noticed it when I installed the front PPF the following morning. I should have wrapped it the minute i got it. I was too damn excited to drive it....

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yep. Ive got enough pinstriping on the side of my truck in the clear coat that when it's dusty it looks terrible.

D41C631F-32E8-40A0-8912-E119CBA3DBC4.png
Well that's enough to make me rethink a metallic color and just go with white. My 4Runner is severely pinstriped from off-roading with a deep metallic blue and presents like this.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
ā€¦if by terrible you mean freakinā€™ awesome!!!

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Looks great to me! Is that a factory paint option??
Unfortunately it's an aftermarket install of Texas Rock Dust (Matte) and I had to go out into the boonies to get it done.

But the pros are it hides all the paint flaws better than PPF, perfectly compliments El Cap Granite, and it's literally dirt cheap.

Last edited:

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I just did a DIY Ceramic coating on it and called it a day, cost like $200 and a couple hours of my time. Figured if it gets bad enough over the next 3 years then I can just spend money on doing paint correction and be good for another few years.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I just did a DIY Ceramic coating on it and called it a day, cost like $200 and a couple hours of my time. Figured if it gets bad enough over the next 3 years then I can just spend money on doing paint correction and be good for another few years.
What product did you use for this?

Struggling to justify wraps/expensive ceramic application for a truck. I love it and want to keep it looking beautiful, but I also don't want to stop short of enjoying my time in the backcountry to the fullest for fear of chipping a nail.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired

Struggling to justify wraps/expensive ceramic application for a truck. I love it and want to keep it looking beautiful, but I also don't want to stop short of enjoying my time in the backcountry to the fullest for fear of chipping a nail.
Agreedā€¦hell, itā€™s a frickinā€™ truckā€¦šŸ˜œ

Iā€™m not looking forward to the first ding, but itā€™ll happenā€¦

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer

https://www.chemicalguys.com/carbon...em/WAC232.html?gtmListValue=Category: ceramic

Bought that along with a clay bar and their car wash product that removes anything on the paint to prep it for the ceramic. Took about 3-4 hours to do but having the help of a 4 year old slowed me down a bit lol.

I did the front bumper and headlights twice to get them a bit more coverage. Went on a road trip the other day and did ~400 miles and the front was completely covered in bugs. Did the touchless car wash and it all came off very easy and looked brand new again. Obviously super early in its life as its supposed to last years, but so far I have no complaints.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Well that's enough to make me rethink a metallic color and just go with white. My 4Runner is severely pinstriped from off-roading with a deep metallic blue and presents like this.
My 4Runner is white and has a bunch of pinstripes that you can't see unless you are up close, but it's pretty thrashed.

I went with Launch Green for my Rivian which is more metallic in person than it looks in pictures and I got PPF on the front. I don't mind some nicks and dings on my cars, but that front end has so much painted surface and is so flat I figured it would be necessary to keep it looking decent.
Sponsored