Sponsored

Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive)

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Why in the world do we have to depend on communication via Reddit for this kind of info?
Because Rivian graciously responds to Reddit member questions every week and Rivian is smartly using high trafficked channels to communicate directly with their customers.
Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
My god people... from Rivian on Reddit: "we’re still putting together the visuals and demonstration and will make sure they get shared out to the community as soon as possible"
Lol, they said that weeks ago. If you think it takes weeks to get that out you are not a cult-follower of s00n.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Why in the world do we have to depend on communication via Reddit for this kind of info?
We don't. The response doesn't actually address anything. Saying absolutely nothing produces the same amount of tangible information.

The manual tonneau cover has been an option in the configurator / visualizer for years. Yet, nobody outside of Rivian has even seen a CAD drawing. Naturally, everyone assumes that the $800 - $1,800 option, that customers are pre-paying, will be "shared with the community" at some point.

Last edited:

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Email from guide Feb 21:

I don't have an ETA for when you will receive your manual tonneau, but I should know something soon. They are scheduled to go out in early 2023 and the latest rumor is that they will ship next month.

I'll let you know when I have more details. Until then, enjoy your Tuesday afternoon!

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

My god people... from Rivian on Reddit: "we’re still putting together the visuals and demonstration and will make sure they get shared out to the community as soon as possible"
I hope you are right but there are examples of where something is going to happen and then suddenly it changes whether max pack, 5 seat R1S, camp kitchen etc.
So it is a non zero chance that they are #2 or 3 in the list.

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Because Rivian graciously responds to Reddit member questions every week and Rivian is smartly using high trafficked channels to communicate directly with their customers.
Direct would be perhaps a newsletter - directly to customers. Reddit is the very definition of indirect to many (most?) customers.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
This forum has way more traffic and content then reddit. I think they chose reddit because to an extent they are forced to be nice where this forum is more critical.

I like this forum more :)

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
We don't. The response doesn't actually address anything. Saying absolutely nothing produces the same amount of tangible information.

The manual tonneau cover has been an option in the configurator / visualizer for years. Yet, nobody outside of Rivian has even seen a CAD drawing. Naturally, everyone assumes that the $800 - $1,800 option, that customers are pre-paying, will be "shared with the community" at some point.
We'll have to agree to disagree I'm sure.

The statement that was quoted:

"we’re still putting together the visuals and demonstration and will make sure they get shared out to the community as soon as possible"

....strongly implies that design, etc. is complete, as you can't put together visual and demo data prior to design completion.

I take that status as new information, but perhaps you had this information before now.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Lol, they said that weeks ago. If you think it takes weeks to get that out you are not a cult-follower of s00n.
I’ve never removed, redesigned, and relaunched a product before, so I’d imagine getting all your ducks in a row takes a while! And ya, video, photography, editing, copywriting, etc. seems like it could take a while.

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
Rivian do the same with mine, however, cited that it was broken upon delivery. Do you know how they disabled it? I can still push the button here the motors turn on, but nothing moves.
i don't sorry. i assumed they removed power from the motor under the bedliner. my screen still has the button but im scared to touch it...

Sponsored

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

"we’re still putting together the visuals and demonstration and will make sure they get shared out to the community as soon as possible"

....strongly implies that design, etc. is complete, as you can't put together visual and demo data prior to design completion.

I take that status as new information, but perhaps you had this information before now.
Yes, we will have to agree to disagree. This communication could imply that their design is complete, and they are simply producing their marketing materials before an official announcement and unveiling. Or the statement could just be intentionally vague and non-committal. Either scenario is plausible.

Rivian could have responded by saying that the final design is complete, and they are now refining their messaging and producing public-facing content prior to making an announcement, but they chose not to. I'm sure there are reasons for that, and we are all welcome to believe what we like, but I personally think this answer leaves too much to the imagination to draw any conclusions.

Last edited:

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

They have said this for a few months. Early 2023 to me would be first quarter but let’s give Rivian the benefit of the doubt and say it is through to June. They then say ahead of that release date the communication and visuals will come out, so that should be from March to May. Let’s see what happens.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I believe the OP missed the mark when he said there'd be a carefully crated email from Tony stating there's "no change."

I believe Tony's email will say, "there's not been a change to our previous change email regarding the power tonneau cover. All Tonneau's moving forward will be a combination of the new and improved automatically manual on tonneau option. We hope this clears it up for all of you and for those with pre-March pricing, you'll get yours at the original pre-price increase discounted price!"

:CWL:

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
They have said this for a few months. Early 2023 to me would be first quarter but let’s give Rivian the benefit of the doubt and say it is through to June. They then say ahead of that release date the communication and visuals will come out, so that should be from March to May. Let’s see what happens.
Can you point me to where a few months ago they said, "we’re still putting together the visuals and demonstration and will make sure they get shared out to the community as soon as possible".

Thanks!

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Can you point me to where a few months ago they said, "we’re still putting together the visuals and demonstration and will make sure they get shared out to the community as soon as possible".

Thanks!
Four months ago in an email I saw on Reddit (I had an S order at that time)
Rivian R1T R1S Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive) 1677196893183

it says photos and a full demonstration will be shared ahead of an early 2023 shipping if the cover.
Sponsored