Sponsored

Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive)

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Stuff the power tonneau .... what about the manual cover? How difficult can that be?
Extremely fair point. It is inexplicable that they don't have a working prototype that they could demonstrate at this point.

What this tells me is:
  1. They've stress tested a prototype manual cover and are unhappy with the results and are now redesigning the manual cover, quietly or;
  2. They have a working cover but not enough suppliers and are trying to build up a stock or;
  3. They have no idea what they are doing
#3 is hopefully not the correct answer.
Sponsored

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure: LA Silver/Dark Mountain
Clubs

That’s interesting. My SC told me that they couldn’t do that (disable the controls) and that I have to be careful not to accidentally hit the button.
Pics for reference. No controls present in infotainment. Button on bed does nothing.

Rivian R1T R1S Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive) PXL_20230223_163009471

Rivian R1T R1S Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive) PXL_20230223_163023414

Rivian R1T R1S Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive) PXL_20230223_163130482

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I disagree with a lot of your thesis but in general just want to comment on the charging network.

On the scale how much resources is it really? Look at the network, Rivian does a lot of business along the west coast, and the network is already looking healthy on these corridors. Coming in March it will be a source of revenue, we shall see how they price it. My prediction is they build out the first wave (400-500 connectors or whatever). Then use the network, which covers some unique corridors to get funding to from uncle sam to help build out phase 2 and in return open their network.
I agree on this. Thinking a lot about this and have come to the conclusion that, in the US at least, the closed private DCFC network is the only one right now with a decent (as I’m not completely half-baked) business model. It exists to support the product and the customer is the person buying the charging service rather than an OEM or government investor. This can change over time. Our expectations have to be high and we have to advocate for good DCFC as a community, but we will get there.

plus, Rivian is getting close to achieving some “critical mass” in places like the west coast and Colorado, wherein you will be able to do a lot of adventuring primarily on the RAN. I suspect these are their biggest markets and also tourist destinations from people who are out of state.

EDIT: sorry, this is detailing the thread :/

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Extremely fair point. It is inexplicable that they don't have a working prototype that they could demonstrate at this point.

What this tells me is:
  1. They've stress tested a prototype manual cover and are unhappy with the results and are now redesigning the manual cover, quietly or;
  2. They have a working cover but not enough suppliers and are trying to build up a stock or;
  3. They have no idea what they are doing
#3 is hopefully not the correct answer.
My god people... from Rivian on Reddit: "we’re still putting together the visuals and demonstration and will make sure they get shared out to the community as soon as possible"

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I really hope the manual cover turns into a camp table, that would be rad.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I personally find these kinds of posts to be pretty surprising from early adopters. You've invested all this money in a product that more or less requires Rivian to stay in business in order for it to continue working properly, but are shocked and unsatisfied when they are forced to make concessions in attempt to stay in business. I get it, you're promised to get one thing for your money, but then, do you really want it if it means the company is more likely to go under?...
If Rivian will go under because of the cost of a properly engineered and functional powered tonneau cover replacement then they have no financial depth to remain in business.

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
As someone pointed out months ago, it's a shame that there are 3 or 4" of dead space where the retracted tonneau would have gone in some of ours that were built for the original powered tonneau. I didn't think I'd care, but that's just silly that the space is wasted.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I really hope the manual cover turns into a camp table, that would be rad.
I believe this was strictly a rumor that one of the car review blogs started and has been corrected by CS/Rivian a while ago that it will not function as a table.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

As someone pointed out months ago, it's a shame that there are 3 or 4" of dead space where the retracted tonneau would have gone in some of ours that were built for the original powered tonneau. I didn't think I'd care, but that's just silly that the space is wasted.
If I could use that space to store the manual cover, I'd be so much more inclined to have a manual cover.

Part of the reason I've delayed my Nov '21 order until the power tonneau is available is because 1. that feature is important for my use case and 2. the space where the power cover retracts is completely wasted otherwise.

canikony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Tesla Model Y Performance
If I could use that space to store the manual cover, I'd be so much more inclined to have a manual cover.

Part of the reason I've delayed my Nov '21 order until the power tonneau is available is because 1. that feature is important for my use case and 2. the space where the power cover retracts is completely wasted otherwise.
I'm also waiting. I check the shop often to see if I can snag a launch green, but otherwise, I will be waiting for the PTC.

They better release that before the CT comes out otherwise I'll have a much harder decision to make.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Extremely unlikely that will be possible. The manual cover is 4 pieces, so they'll be too wide to fit in that space. You can store them in the gear tunnel, but then you reduce what else you can put there.

DJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, 18 Grand Cherokee
If helpful - update from my guide when I pressed on getting clear comms on the Powered Tonneau re-introduction, given the website says early 2023 fix.

It seems who haven't taken delivery and want to hold out will continue to have no ETA :(

'So the clarification here is that what you are seeing on the website is the estimated timeline for the "fix" for those owners who already took delivery of vehicles with the faulty powered tonneaus and are having issues with it. That is different than what your scenario is which is asking when the redesigned powered tonneau will be available which no date has been announced yet and we have no idea of what type of timeframe we are looking at it as they are redesigning the product.'

aconfusedazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
rivian disabled my power tonneau at pickup day. so i can’t even try to use it until it breaks. what’s my recourse? sue to have it turned on?
Rivian do the same with mine, however, cited that it was broken upon delivery. Do you know how they disabled it? I can still push the button here the motors turn on, but nothing moves.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
My god people... from Rivian on Reddit: "we’re still putting together the visuals and demonstration and will make sure they get shared out to the community as soon as possible"
Why in the world do we have to depend on communication via Reddit for this kind of info?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
They have 10,000 trucks to retrofit, and a lesson to learn. It'll be a while before new trucks have it.
Sponsored