Sponsored

Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive)

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I asked a senior Rivian service tech this question today. He just smiled and said don't expect the redesign for a long time, if ever. He said Rivian engineers have been put on other immediate priorities. He specifically said the big push right now is getting the Enduro motors to market and working on the launch of the R2 platform.

As someone waiting for the redesign, I'm not happy with that answer in the least, but it does make sense. Rivian has to start making money and they need lower-priced vehicles that qualify for federal rebates and provide higher margins for the company.

Before anyone is critical of what I've posted, I'm simply passing along what the tech told me -- take it or leave it as you please.
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I asked a senior Rivian service tech this question today. He just smiled and said don't expect the redesign for a long time, if ever. He said Rivian engineers have been put on other immediate priorities. He specifically said the big push right now is getting the Enduro motors to market and working on the launch of the R2 platform.

As someone waiting for the redesign, I'm not happy with that answer in the least, but it does make sense. Rivian has to start making money and they need lower-priced vehicles that qualify for federal rebates and provide higher margins for the company.

Before anyone is critical of what I've posted, I'm simply passing along what the tech told me -- take it or leave it as you please.
Weirdly enough, I had a mobile service on Tuesday, and asked the tech about the tonneau redesign. He said as far as he was aware, it was still scheduled to “launch” in March, with installation happening shortly afterwards

DJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, 18 Grand Cherokee

As someone who is also strongly considering pausing my April/May window and waiting until it’s reintroduced, has this insight changed your thinking / plan?

Deleted member 9927

I've paused my purchase until there is more info on this - I can apparently sit like this as long as I want. At the front of the queue just waiting for the right answers.

Reactions: DJC

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

The R2 design should be well along and they have an extra year given the delay to the Georgia factory.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I 100% agree.

I know exactly what tonneau cover you are referencing. There’s a great thread in this forum that discusses it in detail. But I would love to see this video, and I don’t have FB. Does someone mind posting that video here?

Reactions: Guy

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I See EVsportline posted the price for their cover, at below $700 so compares favorably to the pre-order holder discount price of $800 and will ship in April.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Okay, no worries. I’ll ask him to post in the other thread linked here:

DIY Tonneau Cover

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yes a publicly traded company making a consumer product has tons of safety and regulatory requirements can’t just whip some shit up like random dudes in Facebook. Can Facebook guy produce 25k tonneaus covers?!

I have my gripes about rivian of course but man you guys can be unreasonable sometimes!

Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Four months ago in an email I saw on Reddit (I had an S order at that time)
1677196893183.png

it says photos and a full demonstration will be shared ahead of an early 2023 shipping if the cover.
I also got this email when we had to choose manual vs. no cover for "Lock Config" back in December. We chose Manual.
That's also why I say the manual cover will be in the same slats as the old powered one which in turn would allow us to upgrade to new powered when that comes out and they've caught up on retrofitting the old busted one.
Has anyone seen a "no cover" T with anything other than empty slats/non-functional buttons yet? The only way that would be attractive would be if they gave back the space that had been storage for the Powered Tonneau but that would require reconfiguring the whole bed which I find EXTREMELY unlikely, especially given "...priorities..."
Anyway, we'll wait [relatively] patiently to hear about the Manual T for the truck we get NEXT WEEK! Not that big of a deal to me considering all the other secure, dry storage space...and I've got tarps.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I also got this email when we had to choose manual vs. no cover for "Lock Config" back in December. We chose Manual.
That's also why I say the manual cover will be in the same slats as the old powered one which in turn would allow us to upgrade to new powered when that comes out and they've caught up on retrofitting the old busted one.
Has anyone seen a "no cover" T with anything other than empty slats/non-functional buttons yet? The only way that would be attractive would be if they gave back the space that had been storage for the Powered Tonneau but that would require reconfiguring the whole bed which I find EXTREMELY unlikely, especially given "...priorities..."
Anyway, we'll wait [relatively] patiently to hear about the Manual T for the truck we get NEXT WEEK! Not that big of a deal to me considering all the other secure, dry storage space...and I've got tarps.
I had seen it reported (for what it is worth) that Rivian had said they would not retro fit powered covers. I hope they do retrofit since I would like the powered cover, they could recoup development costs and provide differentiation.

Time will tell since the manual cover should be the easiest to get out before fixing the powered covers.
Sponsored