Sponsored

Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive)

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
BOS is a large multinational. The contract would require a long term product with warranty and parts.
The "stacker" design is not innovative or impractical, it's just that their design was prone to some failure. I'm guessing failures are related to the vehicle experiencing vertical impacts (potholes, off-road) while driven with the cover partially or fully open.
They'll fix the defects, probably solve other shortcomings (noise, waterseals, speed) and the problem is solved.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I mean can they really just so no sorry we are not going to honor our comprehensive B2B warranty for people with a broken power tonneau because it’s too expensive.

Seems unlikely but I guess I am an optimist.

BTW my powered tonneau still ‘works’ 11 months and 27k miles later even if it is a bit wonky sometimes.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I mean can they really just so no sorry we are not going to honor our comprehensive B2B warranty for people with a broken power tonneau because it’s too expensive.

Seems unlikely but I guess I am an optimist.

BTW my powered tonneau still ‘works’ 11 months and 27k miles later even if it is a bit wonky sometimes.
Dry lube? Done mine a couple times and I think it works better now than on delivery day. Don’t use it unless I have to

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Dry lube? Done mine a couple times and I think it works better now than on delivery day. Don’t use it unless I have to
Nope never lubed it once. I have blasted the tracks with a pressure washer while I was cleaning it but that is really it.

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
rivian disabled my power tonneau at pickup day. so i can’t even try to use it until it breaks. what’s my recourse? sue to have it turned on?

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
rivian disabled my power tonneau at pickup day. so i can’t even try to use it until it breaks. what’s my recourse? sue to have it turned on?
Wait until they have the redesign ready, and get a new tonneau cover. Easy peasy lemon squeezy...

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Anyone else getting paint chips off of the slats at sides?

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Rivian will offer a redesigned power tonneau cover to compete with everyone in the field, of that I have no doubt. They have to. When it's ready, they will offer it as an upgrade to existing owners. If you want it, you'll need to pay extra (for the supposed upgrade). Will be different depending on what you currently have. How much remains to be seen. Everyone will be happy. Rivian will recoup some money at least.

• Haha
Reactions: Guy

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
That’s just a setting on the infotainment. You should be able to change that setting.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian will offer a redesigned power tonneau cover to compete with everyone in the field, of that I have no doubt. They have to. When it's ready, they will offer it as an upgrade to existing owners. If you want it, you'll need to pay extra (for the supposed upgrade). Will be different depending on what you currently have. How much remains to be seen. Everyone will be happy. Rivian will recoup some money at least.
Everyone will not be happy.

Charging a customer to fix what was a defective design, under ”warranty“ is not acceptable. IANAL, but I am guessing there’s some issues with doing that, anyway.

Even if it is eventually fixed, for free, some people will have gone a year+ without use of a feature that was a substantial marketing point and differentiator for this vehicle…. Rivian should be offering these people some compensation. At a minimum, the warranty should be extended on the powered tonneau.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales

Charging a customer to fix what was a defective design, under ”warranty“ is not acceptable. IANAL, but I am guessing there’s some issues with doing that, anyway.

Even if it is eventually fixed, for free, some people will have gone a year+ without use of a feature that was a substantial marketing point and differentiator for this vehicle…. Rivian should be offering these people some compensation. At a minimum, the warranty should be extended on the powered tonneau.
I agree. The replacements should be comming with an extended warranty. Like you said...many have gone a year+ without a feature they paid for...a significant feature at that. And they can't possibly charge for any of this.

bmcenaney

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Once again, from Rivian's official support site...

Rivian R1T R1S Powered tonneau replacement prediction (it’s not positive) 1677157197208

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Once again, from Rivian's official support site...

1677157197208.png
As you’ve demonstrated twice now it’s not as if Rivian’s position is ambiguous on this. They’ve stated they know there is an issue, they are working on a redesign of the subcomponents, new tonneau orders are on hold, existing tonneaus will be replaced under warranty, and their goal is to have a solution in early 2023. None of that has changed since they originally made this announcement back in September 2022. They aren’t late. They didn’t state they are considering other options besides subcomponent redesign. They’ve clearly stated it won’t cost anything extra for existing owners.

This is one of the rare times Rivian’s communication has been decent. Of course like anything this direction could change, but the constant speculation about powered tonneaus going away for good is unwarranted at this point in time.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

That’s just a setting on the infotainment. You should be able to change that setting.
According to the notification it could be within RiDE since it says to follow instructions there. Another one unrelated to cover mentions settings within the menu as well

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10228730-0001.pdf

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired

They will fix it for free, yes, but it could be a fix for the existing tonneau. They could also refund the money people paid for the tonneau. Of course not everyone will be happy with the solution (you're right), but as the manual tonneau now costs as much, the cost of the new power tonneau would definitely have to be a lot more, possibly 50% more than the manual one. Some will feel they need to be compensated for not having usage of the feature, which means a refund could be in order. Some will just want to have it fixed for free. And some will want to pay a bit more to get a new upgraded one with extended warranty. The power tonneau, like every feature of a new vehicle is a marketing point for any manufacturer, not just Rivian. The Rivian at pre-March 2022 prices was below cost already. I for one don't expect Rivian to continually bleed money. I for one would be happy to pay a bit more if I could get a new power cover with an extended warranty to replace my current one.
Sponsored